Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone will give me a bit of info

Ok the background 1st:
family of 4, a 9yr old and an 6 mth old
Planning on going Jun 2010
Going on H2B skilled migrant visa - he's a fitter
Planned on going to Sydney as we have a few friends there & I was there before

Anyhoo......
Rang up the visa place today asking when should we start the process. (Baby not born yet so initally thought we might have to wait till he/she was born before we start) The visa place said that we should start the process now as it could take up to 9/12 months.....Advised us to go on a 'Sponsor by state' skilled migrant visa as it will only take between 6-9 months.

I told him I didn't want to move to Perth (no offense to anyone who lives there, I just couldn't live in a place that is so isolated) So he said that there is a need for fitters in the South of Australia - Victoria state.

My question is where do we live? where are the best schools? I only know Sydney. My ideal place would be a nice 3/4 bed (possible pool:D) near enough to the city but not too near (easily accessible for instance). Family orientated & the place must have loads to do. Oh and near the sea!

Any suggestions??? Am i just dreaming that such a place exists? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone will give me a bit of info

Ok the background 1st:
family of 4, a 9yr old and an 6 mth old
Planning on going Jun 2010
Going on H2B skilled migrant visa - he's a fitter
Planned on going to Sydney as we have a few friends there & I was there before

Anyhoo......
Rang up the visa place today asking when should we start the process. (Baby not born yet so initally thought we might have to wait till he/she was born before we start) The visa place said that we should start the process now as it could take up to 9/12 months.....Advised us to go on a 'Sponsor by state' skilled migrant visa as it will only take between 6-9 months.

I told him I didn't want to move to Perth (no offense to anyone who lives there, I just couldn't live in a place that is so isolated) So he said that there is a need for fitters in the South of Australia - Victoria state.

My question is where do we live? where are the best schools? I only know Sydney. My ideal place would be a nice 3/4 bed (possible pool:D) near enough to the city but not too near (easily accessible for instance). Family orientated & the place must have loads to do. Oh and near the sea!

Any suggestions??? Am i just dreaming that such a place exists? :rolleyes:

Yes, you will have to start the process soon if you plan to be there by summer next year. Recent changes in the visa processing priorities have led to extended processing times for some people. The good news is that Fitters are on the MODL (on-demand list) which get processed a little quicker.

Not sure what the H2B visa is, do you mean the General Skilled Migration (subclass 175)?

State sponsorship will get you the visa quicker, and this is the subclass 176 visa. The only downside is that you are required to live in that state for 2 years, limiting your freedom.

South Australia currently has a demand for Fitters, so your biggest city there would be Adelaide.

Sponsorship requirements for Offshore 475 or 176

http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=5386

It doesn't look like Fitter is on the list of required skills for Victoria state sponsorship, so Melbourne is out. Same with Queensland, so Brisbane is out.

Also the Australian Capital is an option. A new list has just been released and Fitters are on it.

http://sortoutmyvisa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/act-sdl-baseline-september-20091.pdf

The good news is that this is only a 3 and a half hour drive to Sydney. Much closer than Adelaide.

You should also check how long skills assessments will take if your hubby is required to do that. Not sure who the assessing body is for Fitters.

Good luck with your application. Depending on your circumstances you might find it better to just apply for the 175 visa and not rush the process, which will give you more freedom in the long run.

Mat

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
What he said :lol: - great reply Mat!

The sub-class 175 visa takes around a year or so from start to finish - have a look at the "please read: helpful websites....." at the top of the forum page for timeline links. Also in that sticky are links to real estate websites so you can get an idea of the varying rental fees.

As far as I'm aware an H2B visa is one which you would apply for if you were going to America (it's a work permit basically). Personally (and of course I'm biased) I'd head for Victoria...but then I would wave the Victoria flag as I live there :lol: . Also it does have the reputation of being one of the best States for education.

Most States in Australia are family orientated. It all depends on what sort of weather you want. Do a search on the forum for that as it's been discussed quite a bit.

Dolly

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys

Sorry only getting a chance to see this for the first time today
Yes its the 175/176 visa thanks a million for all the info

I'll have to start researching Canberra & Adelaide so.....

Does anyone know what Canberra is like? I haven't come across anyone that has emigrated to there

Cheers again.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hi Guys

Sorry only getting a chance to see this for the first time today
Yes its the 175/176 visa thanks a million for all the info

I'll have to start researching Canberra & Adelaide so.....

Does anyone know what Canberra is like? I haven't come across anyone that has emigrated to there

Cheers again.
I think Canberra is one of those 'last resort' places. Kinda like Darwin :) I've never been though, so can't really comment.

You might find this site useful:

Live in Canberra

I still stand by my suggestion of holding out for the 175 PR visa. Nothing worse than moving to the other side of the world and being in a place you don't really want to be for 2 years. Moving is already stressful enough as it is.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think Canberra is one of those 'last resort' places. Kinda like Darwin :) I've never been though, so can't really comment.

You might find this site useful:

I still stand by my suggestion of holding out for the 175 PR visa. Nothing worse than moving to the other side of the world and being in a place you don't really want to be for 2 years. Moving is already stressful enough as it is.
Oh please delete this, that stupid American lady narrating it can't even say Canberra right.!!!

:love:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right well i've done a bit of research and I don't think state sponsor ship is for us.
I got an email back from the Visa place confirming which states we can move to

South, North & West of Australia only

I dont think any of those states will suit us......I really do have my heart set on the East coast.

I'll just have to wait a few months longer tho!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Right well i've done a bit of research and I don't think state sponsor ship is for us.
I got an email back from the Visa place confirming which states we can move to

South, North & West of Australia only

I dont think any of those states will suit us......I really do have my heart set on the East coast.

I'll just have to wait a few months longer tho!
:juggle: No worries mate, :juggle: we were saving you a spot :juggle: but we'll give it away to one of those pommie ******s who really deserve it. :juggle: Enjoy the fresh Guinness and sh1tty weather. :juggle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts