Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I started another thread about food, one of my favorite topics (and no, I'm not "full-figured.") So while I'm on the subject....

What is the single most tasty thing you have ever eaten in Mexico, and where did you eat it? I titled this thread "...for tamales," because I love tamales but don't know how to make them and plan to learn ASAP on arrival -- but I am interested in any and all Mexican delicacies, so let me know!

PS Health be damned. I love lard!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I could not possibly list one single most tasty item but high on my list, and I know I will get the name wrong, are the chiles nogales they serve here at Christmas, with nuts and pommagranate seeds on top. I also love bitter chocolate with chiles and cardamom or cumin.
There are so many delicious treats sold in the plaza at fiesta's and I don't know half of the names but they all surpass the previous favourite of mine.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Another vote for chiles en nogada! The first time was a surprise as well as a taste treat, because I didn't expect to like them. They were beautifully prepared at a nice restaurant here in La Paz. Also high on my "almost heaven" list are the shrimp tacos at my favorite neighborhood stand. Their crunchy batter is the best I've tasted. Another … this is outrageously sinful … the deep fried bananas that are served at Carnaval. Thankfully it's only once a year.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Another vote for chiles en nogada! The first time was a surprise as well as a taste treat, because I didn't expect to like them. They were beautifully prepared at a nice restaurant here in La Paz. Also high on my "almost heaven" list are the shrimp tacos at my favorite neighborhood stand. Their crunchy batter is the best I've tasted. Another … this is outrageously sinful … the deep fried bananas that are served at Carnaval. Thankfully it's only once a year.
They use bananas, not plantains? On my visit to Ajijic in April, my favorite Mexican food were the ribs at Tony's Restaurant/Bar/Meat Market in San Antonio - do you think I need to broaden my Mexican palate?

·
Registered
561 Posts
They use bananas, not plantains? On my visit to Ajijic in April, my favorite Mexican food were the ribs at Tony's Restaurant/Bar/Meat Market in San Antonio - do you think I need to broaden my Mexican palate?
They could be plantains, but if so, ripe ones. They're fairly sweet, though some of that may be the batter and the syrup they drizzle on. I'm not very talented at analyzing food, just at eating it. ;)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Unless you want to triple or quadruple your food bill by eating only food from WalMart and other places that cater to ****** taste buds, I'm pretty sure that the broadening will happen without you even trying.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Unless you want to triple or quadruple your food bill by eating only food from WalMart and other places that cater to ****** taste buds, I'm pretty sure that the broadening will happen without you even trying.
Walmart has all the basic foods at competitive prices and many find the convenience more than a few pesos worth of hunting down basics. I presume you were only commenting on imported NOB items. I find that people who do not understand Mexican cuisine don't usually think all foods here are available in all markets at prices that sell in volume. The freshness of mercados sometimes outweighs the fruit and vegetable prices at supermarkets but their meats and poultry, even usually less expensive [not always], are not as reliable as ice is used and some venders in mercados don't seem to know about cleaning and refrigeration. With this in mind Walmart and other supermarkets get the bulk of the business for their convenience, parking, sale items, reliability, selection, general pricing and cleanliness by most citizens.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
:) Har, Dee, Har Har - spare(ribs) me the Wal-mart food - I'm looking forward top real burritos, real tacos and real chiles. Oh, BTW - I did not "broaden" my horizons on the recent trip, I dropped 10 lbs - so there!

·
Registered
472 Posts
¿Tamales? Many tamales and variants in Michoacán, especially around Pátzcuaro. Notably corundas and uchepos. The tastiest tamales are from Oaxaca and Chiapas.
I'll eat tamales on occasion, but they are not among my favorite foods. I do like barbacoa de borrego, birria and menudo from selected stands, among other foods.

I have tried chiles in nogada, prepared in restaurants famed for this seasonal specialty, but never have taken a liking to them. To me, the combination of sweet, spicy and creamy is an incompatible clash. Most are served barely warm, making them even less appealing.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
My favorite burrito:

Zap a flour tortilla for a few seconds in the micronada.
Drizzle a bit of salsa casera down the middle.
Add bits of your left-over meat of choice; beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc.
Cover with grated or crumbled yellow cheese that melts well.
Add some cooked beans, shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, cilantro, etc.
Roll up and place, seam side down, in the microwave for no more than a minute.
Serve with a generous dollop of 'crema' on top.

I think this might be lunch.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
:) Har, Dee, Har Har - spare(ribs) me the Wal-mart food - I'm looking forward top real burritos, real tacos and real chiles. Oh, BTW - I did not "broaden" my horizons on the recent trip, I dropped 10 lbs - so there!
Congratulations on your recent weight loss! FYI, you won't find real burritos in most of Mexico, as they are more "border food" than real Mexican food. They certainly won't be found on any restaurant menus in Mexico City though you can eat yummy real tacos of all sorts in restaurants and at street stands, that make them before your very eyes.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I don't live in MX yet, so this is only my interpretation.

But my favorite easy-peasy fast dinner of all is a tortilla, toasted in a dry frying pan, reheated left over frijoles (whatever you have), a couple of huevos, fried over easy so they're still a little runny, some queso (again, whatever you have) and salsa.

Yummy, filling, good for you.

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
I have taken to making myself tuna quesadillas, which I've never seen on any menu. Quite yummy and much more interesting than a tuna salad sandwich :) .

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I have taken to making myself tuna quesadillas, which I've never seen on any menu. Quite yummy and much more interesting than a tuna salad sandwich :) .
Walmart and Soriana bakeries have puff pastry tuna filled empanadas which are tasty enough. I will try some tuna quesadillas.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
That's sorta like "El Tuna Melt", right?

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
That's sorta like "El Tuna Melt", right?
Not really. You take a flour tortilla and put some tuna, little pieces of queso Oaxaca, chopped onion and sweet pepper on one half of it. I like to season with dill, but you could use hot sauce if you like. Fold it into a half moon shape and cook in a frying pan till the cheese melts. Yum!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Not really. You take a flour tortilla and put some tuna, little pieces of queso Oaxaca, chopped onion and sweet pepper on one half of it. I like to season with dill, but you could use hot sauce if you like. Fold it into a half moon shape and cook in a frying pan till the cheese melts. Yum!
That sounds really good Isla, especially if you use a really nice tuna. Made my mouth start to water.:) AND healthy!!

·
Super Moderator
8,990 Posts
That sounds really good Isla, especially if you use a really nice tuna. Made my mouth start to water.:) AND healthy!!
It is quite tasty, if I say so myself:). The tuna I usually buy here isn't of very high quality, unfortunately, but if prepared this way, it doesn't matter that much. Sometimes I use garlic instead of dill.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
It is quite tasty, if I say so myself:). The tuna I usually buy here isn't of very high quality, unfortunately, but if prepared this way, it doesn't matter that much. Sometimes I use garlic instead of dill.
Are we talking fresh tuna or canned tuna for this dish? What is the USA equivalent of queso Oaxaca? It sounds like something I'd like to try. Make a meal out of it with frijoles and some guacamole, and salad. Yummy. Of course you need the cerveza, si?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.