Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and hoping for the good advice of likeminded folk as although all my friends and family like to think they are immigration experts...they are not! :)

A bit of background on me, I am a UK resident and have been with my US partner for 4 years spending all our money visiting each other 4-5 times a year throughout.

We know we want to marry and here is where the questions start as I think I had been misinformed previously. Or original intention based on previous advice was to go down the K1 route and marry Stateside. This has gone down like a lead balloon with my family would would be unlikely to make the trip as where we will be living is far from what they see as a holiday destination. I have the bigger family/friends and would see this as a bit of a leaving event as I will be moving Stateside afterwards.

I then heard about a Marriage visitor visa which would enable us to marry in the Uk but I could of sworn I read that the US citizen had to be in the UK for so long prior to the marriage and also for the duration of giving notice at the registry office. So my question here is, has anyone done this and with my partner only having ten days annual leave...how have people managed this?

If we do this route over the K1 are there any pros and cons? I.e can I work sooner when I get to the US? Can I visit the UK easily to visit family say 1-2 times a year without restrictions? Does this process take much longer all in all vs the K1?

The only thing stopping us at the moment is money, I want to have enough to fund getting my stuff over, any time i'll be out of work and money for a deposit on a house. We don't want to struggle but aren't sure how much we really need to do this properly within the next 12-18 months.

(At the moment we're saving up as we'd like to buy a house as my partner leases at the moment so as an aside if anyone knows of any banks that I can use in the US to get my credit up and savings over down the line i'd appreciate it)

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
<snip>

US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently $19912 for a 2 person household

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For a fiancee visa
US Citizen can apply for a special visa to allow a non-citizen (their fiancée) to enter the country in order to get married to a US citizen inside the US.

Once issued, the K1 visa will allow the non-citizen to enter the United States legally, for 90 days in order for the marriage ceremony to take place. Once you marry, the non-citizen can remain in the US and may apply for permanent residence. While USCIS processes the application, the non-citizen can remain in the US legally
The US citizen income must meet the require minimum to fulfill the affidavit of support
currently $19912 for a 2 person household
Thanks for the reply but we're already quite up on the K1 visa, its the option if we marry in the UK and then apply I was hoping on advice for versus the K1 to weigh up the pros and cons (costs, time apart, travel restrictions, time to be able to work Stateside etc) we have no issue with my partner sponsoring me that end.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
because all the records will have the details..... it just eases the formalities
American workers like to see document they recognize ...after you have sat in a few SSA and IRS offices for hours you get to realize this

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You might want to consider getting married in the US on a visit visa then returning to the UK while you apply for a visa to live in the US. You could have a blessing ceremony or celebration in the UK at some point after your US wedding.

To marry in the UK you would need a visit for marriage visa which gives you 6 months to marry in the UK. Your fiancé needs to be in the UK for 7 days before you can give notice. You then have to give notice for at least 28 days before you can marry. If your case is referred to the Home Office it could be 70 days. I don't think he has to remain in the UK during the notice period but there is a possibility that you both could be called for an interview. I don't think this possibility is strong for US citizens. If he only has 10 days of holidays that would mean he would have to come to the UK for 7 days, give notice, leave and at least 28 days later but before the visa expires come back for 3 days and marry.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
because all the records will have the details..... it just eases the formalities
American workers like to see document they recognize ...after you have sat in a few SSA and IRS offices for hours you get to realize this
I think we will still probably opt for the K1 route, albeit a lonely route as I doubt we can afford a 2nd ceremony of anykind back in the UK afterwards.

I hear getting your name changed once married is a whole other nightmare for the British female. Someone suggested changing my name by deed poll before we marry and changing all my passport etc before moving to the US. I need to renew my passport next year too actually :confused2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to consider getting married in the US on a visit visa then returning to the UK while you apply for a visa to live in the US. You could have a blessing ceremony or celebration in the UK at some point after your US wedding.

To marry in the UK you would need a visit for marriage visa which gives you 6 months to marry in the UK. Your fiancé needs to be in the UK for 7 days before you can give notice. You then have to give notice for at least 28 days before you can marry. If your case is referred to the Home Office it could be 70 days. I don't think he has to remain in the UK during the notice period but there is a possibility that you both could be called for an interview. I don't think this possibility is strong for US citizens. If he only has 10 days of holidays that would mean he would have to come to the UK for 7 days, give notice, leave and at least 28 days later but before the visa expires come back for 3 days and marry.

https://www.gov.uk/marriages-civil-partnerships/foreign-national
We thought about that as I believe I can work sooner when I eventually move. I'm just concerned about visiting the US after that while the visa would be in process.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
I think you only need your marriage certificate to change your name on your passport.

Marriage and civil partnership

You don’t need a deed poll to take your partner’s surname. Send a copy of your marriage or civil partnership certificate to record-holders, eg benefits offices. Your documents will be updated for free.
https://www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/overview

After the ceremony

Send the marriage or civil partnership certificate when you apply.
https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information/marriage-and-civil-partnership

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have any further questions about the UK process please post them on the UK forum.

My questions cover both and probably applies more to US visitors who have done this? I'm new so if i've posted to the wrong area to ask about moving to the US and processes prior, apologies.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
You're in the right place if your intention is to move to the US. I'm just suggesting that if you have further questions about name changing or marrying in the UK then please post those questions there.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You're in the right place if your intention is to move to the US. I'm just suggesting that if you have further questions about name changing or marrying in the UK then please post those questions there.
I will be moving to the US

·
Administrator
50,464 Posts
Changing your name isn't really an issue in the US. (Not that you actually have to "change" your name, since you won't have much in the way of official documents or accounts in your maiden name over there.) Depends a bit on what you'll be retaining back in the UK as to how much trouble it will be making the official change in the UK, but as nyclon has indicated, the passport should be pretty simple (albeit expensive to renew from abroad, as I understand).

One other (albeit unconventional) solution might be to have the party in the UK before you depart on your K1 visa. Once you're in the US, you only have 90 days to get married anyhow - so you can just do a civil marriage there. Unless you're set on a big church wedding, there's nothing to say you can't have a big pre-wedding party (with the groom-to-be present) to see you off.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
It comes down to three options:
K1 90 days to get married in the US, apply for AoS, no work or travel outside the US until AoS is granted (I have heard of delays into 180 days lately)
CR1 once it is granted your legal status allows you to work immediately
UK wedding with your family/friends
Fees are posted on travel.state.gov. UK requirements fees - ask in the UK forum. Joppa is very well informed.

If you change your name or not is up to you. My personal advice - be consistent.

Shipping your property - clean out, clean out, clean out.

House purchase - get established, have a job, work on your US credit history.

In the meantime get a part time job and start saving like a squirrel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It comes down to three options:
K1 90 days to get married in the US, apply for AoS, no work or travel outside the US until AoS is granted (I have heard of delays into 180 days lately)
CR1 once it is granted your legal status allows you to work immediately
UK wedding with your family/friends
Fees are posted on travel.state.gov. UK requirements fees - ask in the UK forum. Joppa is very well informed.

If you change your name or not is up to you. My personal advice - be consistent.

Shipping your property - clean out, clean out, clean out.

House purchase - get established, have a job, work on your US credit history.

In the meantime get a part time job and start saving like a squirrel.
Thank you for the good advice. I too have heard it can be up to 6 months until AOS so our saving up is budgetting for that. Is there any exceptional circumstances they let you leave during that time? (I.e family illness or a bereavement? I would hate to have my parents get sick unexpected and not be able to get back to visit)

Thankfully I have a flat so all I will be taking is shoes and clothes and a few personal effects (old photos, paperwork etc) but certainly no furniture.

My partner is in a great job but not enough to buy a house without my input so I need to get my savings over. He has such good credit he has been told he needs to basically get a visa card, finance a car or similiar as he has nothing at all. Much like nme, no debt and not even any credit cards.

I'm working full time and ebaying like crazy to squirrel away around trips (im in the US now, flying home today :sad: )

Being quite traditional I want to take his name so i think in terms of thinks to change mt name on I hadn't though I coukd just apply after marriage US side and put as much off as I coukd to avoid changing. In the UK its just passport, driving licence and likely a bank account as ive been adviced to keep a UK one on the go.

We are weighing up how beneficial getting an immigration lawer may be too.

Thanks again.x

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Changing your name isn't really an issue in the US. (Not that you actually have to "change" your name, since you won't have much in the way of official documents or accounts in your maiden name over there.) Depends a bit on what you'll be retaining back in the UK as to how much trouble it will be making the official change in the UK, but as nyclon has indicated, the passport should be pretty simple (albeit expensive to renew from abroad, as I understand).

One other (albeit unconventional) solution might be to have the party in the UK before you depart on your K1 visa. Once you're in the US, you only have 90 days to get married anyhow - so you can just do a civil marriage there. Unless you're set on a big church wedding, there's nothing to say you can't have a big pre-wedding party (with the groom-to-be present) to see you off.
Cheers,
Bev
Good idea on the pre wedding bash. I honestly hadn't thought of that assuming we needed (should) be married!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts