Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, could anyone help with the following:
If you have had a family visit visa refused by an ECO based in Manila, Philippines (application from Japan originally) where should one post the reconsideration request? Should it be at the British Embassy, Manila directly or to VSF Tokyo Visa Application Centre (where the original visa application was lodged).

Also is it possible to email the reconsideration request as well (although it will also need posting as original documents are being supplied).

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reconsideration...

Hi Joppa,
Thanks a lot for your reply. So can one not ask for a reconsideration unless you have a right of appeal? I thought a reconsideration might be independent of the right of appeal. Would it be worth sending one in any case if there are reasonable grounds? Thanks

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
You can try. They can always say no.
Reconsideration or administrative review is only possible if they have made a basic error, like misreading your documents or they didn't consider evidence you had actually submitted, not when they had justifiable reasons, as stated on their letter, to refuse your visa.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Joppa. Appreciate your reply. Yes as you say there's no harm in trying, but thanks for that link re lodging complaint which can also be tried with nothing to lose.

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Usually making a fresh application is the best, and visa fee is quite modest for a visit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fresh application...

Yes this has been tried a couple of times with all previous refusal reasons being covered and explained in the fresh application. I suspect however that there are too few ECOs trying to process too many applications so that the ECO cannot really mindfully read and consider everything.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Steve, well I was actually wondering about the staff at Manila and where they are from because perhaps they are mainly local Filipino/a anyway, maybe with one British national overseeing the lot. In any case the Entry Clearance post in Manila deals with applications from several countries apart from Philippines including Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and others. I think I will complain simply because I find that people seem to take complaints processes a lot more seriously than ordinary visa processes, perhaps because it is in the nature of those that do that type of job or the stricter regulations they must come under. If no one complains then nothing changes.

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
I guess if you consider throwing away $250 as "quite modest".
It's £85 for visit visa, so about US$133, compared to £956 and $1,500 for settlement. You don't 'throw away' visa fees if you make your next application meet all the requirements, including the points raised in the refusal letter.

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
ECOs are usually locally recruited with a high degree of English fluency. They are overseen by Entry Clearance Manager usually sent from UK. ECOs are assisted by Entry Clearance Assistants who do more routine work such as arranging documents for assessment, basic background checks etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.