Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Last month I lodged my 175 visa application thanks to your help.

Well, as I wait for DIAC to process the visa I would like to get your views on where to live in Australia.

About me....
Am 26 yr old male, single with no family to support. Currently in New Zealand where I do professional work for a medium sized firm.

My ideal place...
Very cosmopolitan city with high population
Fast paced
Hot all year round
Relatively cheap rental accommodation
Must have a university
Activity and recreation facilities

Look forward to your ideas

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Zenji,

Cosmopolitan - Melbourne & Sydney (I've not been to Brisbane but that may be as well).

Hot all year round - depending on what you call hot (it's very subjective) you want to head further north.

I would check out Brisbane but I'm not sure how cheap the rental accommodation is since we are in South Australia. However the links in the 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post on property will help you investigate.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Anywhere north of Brisbane, Darwin or Perth.

Those are the places which tend to be hot most of the year, as for universities, google is your friend.

Melbourne is known as the 'cosmopolitan' city in Australia but you wont get the continued hot weather there. So basically you can have hot or cosmopolitan, but not both (well for about 6 weeks in summer Melbourne will tick both boxes).

Dolly

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dolly Thanks for this.

Anyhow, Am keen on the East Coast and feel Darwin & Perth are abit more isolated from the rest of Australia. I would like somewhere within reach of other cities.

How cold does it get in Melbourne? I currently live on te South Island n New Zealand and most mornings its between 0 and 10 degrees. Most times temparatures average about 12 degrees except for summer.

My ideal temperature would be between 15 to 33 degrees.

Also, I intend to go flatting with others initially in my first year. Any idea on rentals for flats?

Anywhere north of Brisbane, Darwin or Perth.

Those are the places which tend to be hot most of the year, as for universities, google is your friend.

Melbourne is known as the 'cosmopolitan' city in Australia but you wont get the continued hot weather there. So basically you can have hot or cosmopolitan, but not both (well for about 6 weeks in summer Melbourne will tick both boxes).

Dolly

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alot.

My ideal temperatures are between 15 to 33 degrees.

How expensive is living in Sydney? Is Melbourne a cheaper option to Sydney?

Hi Zenji,

Cosmopolitan - Melbourne & Sydney (I've not been to Brisbane but that may be as well).

Hot all year round - depending on what you call hot (it's very subjective) you want to head further north.

I would check out Brisbane but I'm not sure how cheap the rental accommodation is since we are in South Australia. However the links in the 'PLEASE READ.....' sticky post on property will help you investigate.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
melbourne and sydney are more or less the same, u earn more in sydney, cost of living is high, u earn slightly less in melbourne, cost of living is little lower (same proportion)
in summers melbourne goes as high as 44 degree but it doesnt stay that high for long. as for sydney, the summers are better thn that in Melbourne.

I suggest you check the average temperature in all cities in australia. Brisbane can be very hot (and humid which makes the heat unbearable).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts