Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, i am moving to cairo on the 24th september for six months with my job. The office is located in Garden city. They have offered me apartments in Sarayat & Degla, which i think is Maadi.
Is this a good place to live? How far is it from Garden city and is is commutable by public transport. Help!
thank you
Joanne

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Garden City is a nice area to work in, you are practically downtown, the British and US embassies are there. Maadi is a nice area and a straight road from garden city, however in traffic anywhere you travel to is a nightmare and there is always traffic.
If you are single then I would suggest Zamalek to live in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
i also reccomend Zamaleck whether u r single or not
it will be near to work and its a very nice and safe area

·
Registered
70 Posts
if u wil staqy in maadi u can use the subway(special carragies for ladies) where it wil drop me 5 min walkin distance from garden city

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much! i am taking the apartment for a month and then have option to change if i dont like it. i was thinking of trying to see if some hotels have apartments as well, as being a femal on my own i thought it might be nice to have use of facilities in a hotel. if you know of any that do this please do let me know!thanks again.

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Most hotels have apartments but these can be very expensive, however you may get a good rate if you tell them its for 6 month, olus the fact that summer is over may help you. I also know that this summer has been very poor in terms of occupancy for hotels so that also might help you with negotiating a good deal.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks MaidenScotland, i was thinking it might be a good time with travel affected. when you say expensive do you have any idea? i think once i get there i will contact a few and see what i can negotiate!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts