Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to every one, ive just registered with this forum.
So hello from me and my family.

My self, partner, 2x boys (1year & 4 years) and 2x dogs are planning to move to Southern Spain in the coming months.

We would like to know the main areas/towns that have English speaking communities.
I work month on/month off rota, so my partner will be on her own with the children and dogs for the month I’m at work.
As my partner does not drive, where ever we end up needs to be close to shops and schools/nurserys ect.

We would like to be close to the coast/beach and will be looking to rent property.

So over to you guys/girls on the forum, where would you recommend for us ?.

Thanks
Sean

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
write a list of what you need. I suspect a good school (international of state??) and a good airport are things you need to be close to for starters - Malaga is good, but check the links and flight prices for you own needs and work from there

Jo xxx

·
Registered
410 Posts
I don't drive and find the public transport links (both bus & train) from Feungirola to Malaga (& the towns in between) to be excellent. Cheap & reliable. I am also here on my own with my children (much older than yours) while my husband works overseas. & along the coast here you would be hard pushed to avoid an English speaking community!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Hi to every one, ive just registered with this forum.
So hello from me and my family.

My self, partner, 2x boys (1year & 4 years) and 2x dogs are planning to move to Southern Spain in the coming months.

We would like to know the main areas/towns that have English speaking communities.
I work month on/month off rota, so my partner will be on her own with the children and dogs for the month I’m at work.
As my partner does not drive, where ever we end up needs to be close to shops and schools/nurserys ect.

We would like to be close to the coast/beach and will be looking to rent property.

So over to you guys/girls on the forum, where would you recommend for us ?.

Thanks
Sean
La Cala de Mijas.

Check it out. It sounds like it has everything you need. May be tough finding a place to rent though.

·
Registered
410 Posts
La Cala de Mijas.

Check it out. It sounds like it has everything you need. May be tough finding a place to rent though.

As a non driver I feel La Cala is a bit remote. Not sure whether I am even correct in saying that! But for me Feugirola going towards Malaga as oppose to the other side of Feungi heading off to Marbella seems to have the best public transport links. The train line stops at Feungirola for example. Anyway thats my two pennies for what they are worth!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies so far.

I actually thought i would get more replies, as some of the info ive been reading on the forum regarding living/moving is from a while ago so thought i might get more up to date info, but i guess folk are busy or on holidays.

Any way thanks to those who took the time to reply to me, much appreciated.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far.

I actually thought i would get more replies, as some of the info ive been reading on the forum regarding living/moving is from a while ago so thought i might get more up to date info, but i guess folk are busy or on holidays.

Any way thanks to those who took the time to reply to me, much appreciated.

Its not easy to recommend to someone really. Your criteria pretty much covers most of the costas and towns along the south. So you can more or less choose. As I said earlier, you need to write down your needs and wants. Google maps is pretty good for then sorting out areas to go and take a look at

Jo xxx

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
Its not easy to recommend to someone really. Your criteria pretty much covers most of the costas and towns along the south. So you can more or less choose. As I said earlier, you need to write down your needs and wants. Google maps is pretty good for then sorting out areas to go and take a look at

Jo xxx
If you go to Google Earth then select Street view, you can do a virtual tour of the places you are interested in. Other than that, given the few "Wants" that you have told us about, there is little I can offer in the way of help because I am nowhere near the coast or other expat communities.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Well Baldi having seen the pics of your town I have now checked the bible and there's no commandment against me coveting your gorgeous village.. I hereby wish to register outright envy, jealousy and annoyance

·
Registered
275 Posts
We are also planning to move to the south but not for another 12 months. My son will be 4 nearly 5 and my daughter will be 1. We are looking around the benalmadena area where I've heard there is a mix of Spanish and English people and also good schools.

does your partner speak Spanish? I would suggest that she learns some basics to mix with the locals etc and to feel more comfortable.. Just from experience, my partner felt a bit left out when we lived in Alicante for a year.. It could be different down south though with the mix of communities, I'm not sure..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi. We used to live in La Cala with two kids and my hubby worked away too. It is certainly far from remote. The buses that go through Fuengirola can be reached very easily by bus from La Cala as can Marbella in the other direction. La Cala is a lovely, friendly village with nurseries, schools and lots for kids. I may be biased, but dont think you could find much better in that area, especially with the age of your kids.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi. We used to live in La Cala with two kids and my hubby worked away too. It is certainly far from remote. The buses that go through Fuengirola can be reached very easily by bus from La Cala as can Marbella in the other direction. La Cala is a lovely, friendly village with nurseries, schools and lots for kids. I may be biased, but dont think you could find much better in that area, especially with the age of your kids.
Please let me know what buses go from La Cala to Fuengirola and how often. Although I suspect you would need to change at the bus station should you want to venture more towards Malaga. Also if you could kindly let me know what buses go from La Cala to Marbella (320/220 and...?) I would also be very grateful.
I have obviously missed something when I looked into this area in the past.
We are considering a move from Benalmadena and opening up options is never a bad thing.
The train is not an option after Fuengirola so a decent bus service as a non driver is essential.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Please let me know what buses go from La Cala to Fuengirola and how often. Although I suspect you would need to change at the bus station should you want to venture more towards Malaga. Also if you could kindly let me know what buses go from La Cala to Marbella (320/220 and...?) I would also be very grateful.
I have obviously missed something when I looked into this area in the past.
We are considering a move from Benalmadena and opening up options is never a bad thing.
The train is not an option after Fuengirola so a decent bus service as a non driver is essential.
There was definitely a bus from La Cala to Club la Costa (just outside of Fuengirola) I worked there with girls from La Cala who caught the bus

Jo xxx

·
Registered
50 Posts
The bus goes from outside the town hall to Fuengirola, and Is very frequent. The bus goes to Marbella from under the by-pass, again in the centre if town and is also frequent. I am pretty sure there is a bus straight to Malaga, but its not as frequent. We often got the bus to Fuengi and then the train in towards Malaga and towns in between Trains are fab. La Cala is idealky situated, but thats just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
We caught a bus from Marbella to Málaga last Friday, which stopped in the centre of La Cala. It didn't stop in Fuengirola, although it did in Benalmádena. At the La Cala stop, the driver would not let people board the Alsa bus who wanted to go to Málaga, so there must be urbano bus services they can use instead. We have a similar situation here, where the Alsa inter-urbano buses leave Vélez bound for Málaga and stop in Torre del Mar, but we can´t use them to get to Torre but have to use the local urbano services instead.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
You can also go onto Google earth and set it to show bus-stops. I did that for somebody from the village who was going to be staying in England for a couple of weeks learning English and needed to use the bus for getting around.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts