Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously there is no 'right' answer to this question, but your opinions would be great.
My husband and I are planning on moving over from NZ about August next year. We are wondering where to settle, things that are factors for us are;
- I want to live in a larger city, primarily for work opportunities
- We want to be able to travel to Europe easily
- The far North doesn't appeal as the weather might be a bit extreme for me
- I want to be working in HR, preferably with a large company or in the public sector
- He is currently in sales/marketing but has also been in radio broadcasting for a long time, he'd be happy to do either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My only hesitation here is the high cost of living. We are happy to live in a share house to start with (granted not one filled with heavy-drinking 20yo expats...) but I'm a little worried our jobs will mean not enough money to have our own place in London?

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Obviously there is no 'right' answer to this question, but your opinions would be great.
My husband and I are planning on moving over from NZ about August next year. We are wondering where to settle, things that are factors for us are;
- I want to live in a larger city, primarily for work opportunities
- We want to be able to travel to Europe easily
- The far North doesn't appeal as the weather might be a bit extreme for me
- I want to be working in HR, preferably with a large company or in the public sector
- He is currently in sales/marketing but has also been in radio broadcasting for a long time, he'd be happy to do either.

Hi,

London seems to match your wish list, and you could start off living there with a salary as low as £2,200 pcm after tax. Yes, it is low and might only allow you a basic living, but might also bring you the exposure you want.

There's also Birmingham to consider.

Animo
(Cheers)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well as you're New Zealanders anywhere should seem like a big city! My opinion on London is, either go in it, or go without it. Don't try and compromise and live on the edge of it... it ain't pretty. Having said that, some outer bits that are affordable AND tolerable include Sutton town, Some of Harrow, Teddington. Tolerable meaning less ignorant people, more good food shops and takeaways! Outside London I'm not really sure. depends what you're looking for really. On the south coast, Brighton has a great music/arts scene, and The Isle of Wight might be a more NZ vibe - lots of eccentrics and natural beauty.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
London would be the last place I would suggest to be honest unless you are a high earner. Too expensive for the average earner, a lot of poorer, crime areas for people who cannot afford the 'posh places', almost impossible to use a car reasonably (which could be a great advantage if you don't want a car because the public transport network is probably the best in the UK). I've worked there now (right in the centre) for some 25 years and it would be my last choice for living. I like to keep London at the end of a commuter route whilst happily living well away from there. That's not everyone's view of course, but with a question along the lines of "where to live?" you will get many different angles! :D

I would sooner pick other large cities. If you want a city location with surrounding rural areas, the best climate in the UK and in reach of a coast, then (for the wealthier) there's Brighton, or for the more average earner, Portsmouth or Southampton - all on the south coast and with good commuter networks to London. Portsmouth and Southampton are around 20 miles apart and both have frequent ferry connections to Europe, and Southampton has its own small airport with a good and cheap Europe itinerary. Portsmouth and Southampton also have rail links direct to London Waterloo - home of the Eurostar rail link to Europe. Brighton, on the other hand, is much nearer to London and Gatwick airport is on a direct rail link. Brighton used to be one of the most expensive places to live outside London, however (I don't know whether it still is) so it's going to depend rather on your budget and earning potential. Living anywhere along the commuter routes of these places would give you good access to all those cities.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As i see you mention your husband has a history in radio broadcasting, i would suggest Bristol. A beautiful area, with Exmoor just down the way, plus it's a major centre for radio (and Natural History) for the BBC. As "2farapart" said, London is the last place i would suggest moving to, for all the aformentioned reasons.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
Portsmouth and Southampton also have rail links direct to London Waterloo - home of the Eurostar rail link to Europe.
Waterloo hasn't been the home of the Eurostar in almost 5 years. It's been leaving from St. Pancras since November 2007.

·
Registered
631 Posts
As i see you mention your husband has a history in radio broadcasting, i would suggest Bristol. A beautiful area, with Exmoor just down the way, plus it's a major centre for radio (and Natural History) for the BBC. As "2farapart" said, London is the last place i would suggest moving to, for all the aformentioned reasons.
In the years I've been tracking BBC jobs (about the 12 years since getting married) I've only every seen about 5 posted for Bristol. It is a very low turnover location. It is difficult to get media jobs outside London.

That being said, it is beautiful.

M

·
Registered
756 Posts
Waterloo hasn't been the home of the Eurostar in almost 5 years. It's been leaving from St. Pancras since November 2007.
I had no idea it moved?? Last time we took the eurostar was in the summer of 2007. We plan to take full advantage of the eurostar line as much as we can once we move over there.

·
Super Moderator
18,016 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.