Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a mixed question : I will be moving to Cambridge UK from overseas. Compared to places that I have lived it seems life is a bit boring there. Are there any areas that are more energetic and active to live in? The other question is, my partner is a art student and we are having a hard time to find any proper uni near Cambridge for her. Perhaps we can live somewhere between her uni and Cambridge, but I don't have any clue how to jointly optimize the two. Would really appreciate any pointers or insights.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here is a mixed question : I will be moving to Cambridge UK from overseas. Compared to places that I have lived it seems life is a bit boring there. Are there any areas that are more energetic and active to live in? The other question is, my partner is a art student and we are having a hard time to find any proper uni near Cambridge for her. Perhaps we can live somewhere between her uni and Cambridge, but I don't have any clue how to jointly optimize the two. Would really appreciate any pointers or insights.
Is there a specific reason you need to be living in Cambridge? It is definitely a slower pace than any big city (but full of amazing history, if you're into that sort of thing). If you want something lively one of the bigger cities is your best bet (London, obviously, or Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, etc). The bigger cities will also give you more options for where your partner can attend art school and/or classes. But if for some reason you must be living in or near Cambridge, don't forget that the UK isn't a huge place, and getting to big cities is usually only a matter of an hour or so by train! This was a fact that took me some getting used to as an hour on a train where I live in Canada barely even gets me out of the Greater Toronto Area!

·
Registered
665 Posts
You cannot find a suitable uni in Cambridge? The whole city is based on university colleges! Students come from all over the world to study there but only if they are exceptionally qualified, intelligent and talented before they get there. A degree from the university of Cambridge generally confers not just status but exceptional earnings potential. The tech firms are based there because they can attract graduates who do not want to leave the area.
There is a great deal going on in Cambridge as students participate in gigs, theatre and art events: Many of the most famous UK actors and comedians started their careeers whilst still students in Cambridge: These events are not exclusive to students and ex-students often return for shows etc. If you can't have fun in Cambridge then you won't find it anywhere else.
As a starter your partner needs to look here https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses.
The University of East Anglia is just outside Norwich and might be suitable for your partner but living in Cambridge would be more fun. Do not be fooled by everybody using bikes. Students cannot bring cars to the city and it's just part of the culture to get around on a bike, much like Amsterdam.
I no longer know the city well and fashionable areas change so I leave that to others here.

·
Registered
157 Posts
your partner may not be able to get into Cambridge Uni, but East Anglia has a campus there. CSVPA also offers art and design courses at the university level, and sponsors foreign students.

the nightclub scene is not like London, true. but there is a lively pub/music scene, regular festivals, and lots of theatre and more 'classical' music.

it's a very small city, so anywhere you live is close to the centre. Girton is a bit farther out, but cheaper. the centre is incredibly expensive because the University owns most of the property.
there are new developments near the train station and on Hills road which are good. North Cambridge is a bit out of the way, but they will have a train station soon, making it less than an hour to central London--really handy for weekends away.

the cost of living is only slightly lower than london, so don't think you're going to be getting many bargains!

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you're living in Cambridge itself, you'll be near enough the centre to get to anything. It's a pretty small-scale, but there's lots of small-scale stuff going on. You're only an hour from London too.

Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge seems to have art courses - my computer isn't getting on with the ARU website but UCAS says they do:

UCAS Search tool - Venue Results

EDIT - googlng worked better - here's their website:
http://www.anglia.ac.uk/arts-law-and-social-sciences/cambridge-school-of-art

"We are the only university in Cambridge offering art and design courses at higher education level."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.