Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, this is my first post.

I'm a Brazilian physicist living in Austria and Germany for over 10 years.
Next September, I will move to Marseille as a professor at the Aix-Marseille University.

I'm starting to look for a place to live there. I visited the city already a few times, and I start to get some idea about the place. Even though, I'm still a bit of lost on the best choices.

I found out a few threads on similar topics, but I would like to put the question again:
Could any of you give me some advice on where are the good spots to rent a flat there (arrondissements and nearby villes)?

I'm mainly looking for a calm, quite, and comfortable place. (Am I asking too much?)

Thanks a lot,

CB

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Hi everybody, this is my first post.

I'm a Brazilian physicist living in Austria and Germany for over 10 years.
Next September, I will move to Marseille as a professor at the Aix-Marseille University.

I'm starting to look for a place to live there. I visited the city already a few times, and I start to get some idea about the place. Even though, I'm still a bit of lost on the best choices.

I found out a few threads on similar topics, but I would like to put the question again:
Could any of you give me some advice on where are the good spots to rent a flat there (arrondissements and nearby villes)?

I'm mainly looking for a calm, quite, and comfortable place. (Am I asking too much?)

Thanks a lot,

CB
No, you're not asking too much but you need to spend some time in the area and visit the various towns and villages to get an idea.

Be aware that the coastal villages in particular, whilst beautiful and although pretty quiet for 9 months of the year, are extremely busy during the summer and, even if you are able to avoid the crowds, getting in and out by road can be a nightmare.

Given that the Physics department is at St Charles, you will have lots of choice of locations that are on public transport (both bus and train). You could certainly go as far as Aix, which is a lively (but not overly so) and attractive city and there are residential areas where you will find peace and quiet without being remote. There are also many areas outside Aix where you can find peace and quiet.

There are some nice villages in the hills behind Marseille, but I would suggest you be wary of the commute into work, especially if there is not good public transport.

I know I haven't given you specific suggestions, but hopefully someone else on the forum will be able to do so.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We live in the 9eme (13009) and I have to say it is very calm here. We are close enough to the stade and the metro for convenience sake, but far enough away to avoid the crowds and tourists congestion. We also live about a ten minute car drive to the Marseille beaches or 15 minutes away from Cassis (where we prefer the calanques and beaches there).

Like Everhopeful mentions, think about your commute to work when looking. My husband works at the academie right beside la gare de St Charles, so he takes the metro to work which is a ten minute walk from our home.

Aubagne is nice also, not far from Marseille via the highway. But again, traffic to/from work can be a nightmare, even if you like in Marseille traffic to/from work is hellish lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the hints.
From the answers, I see that transport and commute should be a major issue choosing a place.
The 9eme mentioned by Carlene sounds a nice option, although I'm afraid it could be a bit inconvenient for me, as I will be working in the Saint Jerome campus, which in the other side of the city.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
Thank you both for the hints.
From the answers, I see that transport and commute should be a major issue choosing a place.
The 9eme mentioned by Carlene sounds a nice option, although I'm afraid it could be a bit inconvenient for me, as I will be working in the Saint Jerome campus, which in the other side of the city.
We didn't know you'd be working at the Saint Jerome campus, but Carlene may come back with an alternative suggestion. I would suggest it's worth you looking at the metro and tram networks and timetables to get an idea of what is an easy commute. And yes, I would definitely consider that the commute will be very important.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I did talk to my husband, your job is in the 13eme, so not a good area to live honestly. Bit of a bad neighborhood and definitely not calm. The best I can suggest is on the outskirts of the city, but as close to transportation as possible. Stay away from the north honestly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did talk to my husband, your job is in the 13eme, so not a good area to live honestly. Bit of a bad neighborhood and definitely not calm. The best I can suggest is on the outskirts of the city, but as close to transportation as possible. Stay away from the north honestly.
Yes, I heard about that before as well. I was specially advised to avoid the 14eme.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Consider

Yes, I heard about that before as well. I was specially advised to avoid the 14eme.
I know MRS very well - been here almost 40 yrs. 8th is better than 9th for covienence. 13th has many, many good areas: Chateaux Gombert being one. Pla n-de-Cuques and Allauch are really part of Marseiile, all very residential and easy commute to U campus. Another option is the renovated city center: La Joliette
Good luck!
Haw

·
Registered
1 Posts
hello
you can live in the 12th arrondissement ! it's very quiet i'm living in st barnabé
there is the metro near by and it's not too far from the 13th arrondissement

·
Registered
344 Posts
My husband's aunt lives in the 13th, and there are constant problems with the young kids, or young gangs as some of them are forming now. But then again, perhaps other parts of there are better. I can only give advice on what I know, but I'm not sure fixing up the face of La Joliette really fixed the problems there. We lived there for years before moving here, at first it was so nice, but then a certain element crept in and although the buildings got prettier, the noise level went up and it wasn't unusual to be awoken at 3am to screaming matches and glass breaking.

The best thing though is to come to Marseille, drive around those areas take a look at what they are like. That way you can also check out best ways to commute to work and research areas that look and feel right for your needs/wants

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dear Expats,

Last week, I''ve been in Marseille checking many of places and districts you suggested. Now it seems to me that the 8th might be the best option for me, because of the Metro connection.

I saw some quite nice apartment offers near the Vélodrome (Ray Grassi). What do you think, is that a nice place to live?

Thanks again,

·
Registered
344 Posts
Lots of construction being done in that area plus during football (and rugby) season, lots of traffic and people. However the area is not a bad one from what I hear. You have easy access to the metro at prado and perier. And it isn't too far from Castellane (movie theatres, restaurants, etc). Plus they are building a mall around there somewhere (only heard about it, no clue exactly where).

·
Registered
50 Posts
We lived in the 8th off Rue Jules Cantini in Rouet. I found location wise it was very good, close to the Prado and public transport. Easy walk into the port. Also some beautiful parks near by and the beach too. Even though it is busy we found it was also very quiet on weekends. We lived in a newer unit block on a small side street. i think as long as you are not living on a main road it will not be too loud. Plus having double glazing and shutters helped.
I really enjoyed it as everything was close by and I had no need for a car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts