Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Expats! Thank you all for accepting me to your helpful and informative site!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it'll be a start.

I'm 34 and just got bit by 'The Bug'. Hard. Spent my whole life in cold, rural Canada. Fresh off a month solo in Thailand and it just wasn't enough. So here's my question/situation...

I want to expat for a year someplace. I have about $60K available. I would like to live abroad while finishing the last year of my degree online. I've considered a few countries: Thailand (was great but been there/done that), Morocco, Tunisia, Israel, Malta... I'm sure all of you are much more worldly than I am, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions/thoughts on countries to consider. Before I list off what I need I'll just preface by saying I'm a pretty hardy guy with a healthy risk tolerance. I'm not going to move to Iraq or anything.... Just saying I don't need a country with western levels of safety.

OK... in order of importance here's what I need in a country (besides it being a country where it is actually legally possible to do this):

1 - Cheap. Or at least cheapish. I need basic living costs to be <$1,500US/mo.

2 - Reliable internet.... doing school online.

3 - Warm/hot climate. I'm done with the cold! No country is too hot as long as I can rent a place with a/c so I can sleep.

4 - An active scuba diving scene (I'm PADI advanced, would like to work up the ranks while I'm there)

5 - A culture friendly to expats. Maybe that goes without saying but it'll be just me and I don't want to be in a place where the locals resent you for being in their country!

I don't know anything really about how to get a visa (every country is different, I know). But I 've heard in Thailand if you take a Thai language course for like 10 hours a week you can get a long term student visa. If there is a country that meets the above criteria with a similar program, but for French (super useful when I move back to Canada) or maybe Spanish... That would be a huuuuge bonus.

In a perfect world this dream country would be somewhere around the mediterranean so I can explore the old world from my new base.

Thanks so much for any and all input!!

Ian

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Hello Expats! Thank you all for accepting me to your helpful and informative site!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it'll be a start.

I'm 34 and just got bit by 'The Bug'. Hard. Spent my whole life in cold, rural Canada. Fresh off a month solo in Thailand and it just wasn't enough. So here's my question/situation...

I want to expat for a year someplace. I have about $60K available. I would like to live abroad while finishing the last year of my degree online. I've considered a few countries: Thailand (was great but been there/done that), Morocco, Tunisia, Israel, Malta... I'm sure all of you are much more worldly than I am, so I'm hoping to get some suggestions/thoughts on countries to consider. Before I list off what I need I'll just preface by saying I'm a pretty hardy guy with a healthy risk tolerance. I'm not going to move to Iraq or anything.... Just saying I don't need a country with western levels of safety.

OK... in order of importance here's what I need in a country (besides it being a country where it is actually legally possible to do this):

1 - Cheap. Or at least cheapish. I need basic living costs to be <$1,500US/mo.

2 - Reliable internet.... doing school online.

3 - Warm/hot climate. I'm done with the cold! No country is too hot as long as I can rent a place with a/c so I can sleep.

4 - An active scuba diving scene (I'm PADI advanced, would like to work up the ranks while I'm there)

5 - A culture friendly to expats. Maybe that goes without saying but it'll be just me and I don't want to be in a place where the locals resent you for being in their country!

I don't know anything really about how to get a visa (every country is different, I know). But I 've heard in Thailand if you take a Thai language course for like 10 hours a week you can get a long term student visa. If there is a country that meets the above criteria with a similar program, but for French (super useful when I move back to Canada) or maybe Spanish... That would be a huuuuge bonus.

In a perfect world this dream country would be somewhere around the mediterranean so I can explore the old world from my new base.

Thanks so much for any and all input!!

Ian
Howdy Ian and welcome to the site,

Thailand can be difficult in getting a long term visa to stay there.
I'm living in the Philippines (close to Thailand) and have been here almost 15 years now. Although this is a developing 3rd world country, it can meet your needs just about completely. Subic Bay is a good place to be or get involved in scuba diving and is an area that has all the services you would expect to find there in Canada including shopping malls.
Come on over to The Philippines Page here on Expat Forum. Read a lot and ask lots of questions of the members there. I think you'll find that the Philippines is right up your alley.

Best Regards,

Asian Spirit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Asian Spirit. I've heard a lot of good things about the Philippines, especially the diving. Cost of living is pretty reasonable too?

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Yea, cost of living is very low here. Naturally there are places where one can spend a fortune but most areas are quite affordable. A good example is where we live. We own a small house but are living in a rental that we like better. Modern by local standards with two bedrooms and gated patio. We pay $50us dollars per month for it. Electric power is quite high but that is offset by food costs that are far lower than back home.
It gets too hot and humid for my liking but sure beats cold, snow, and icy winters. It's a place where it would pay to make a visit or two prior to making a decision to move.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts