Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm in a hurry to buy White Tie (/Tailcoat) for a very formal dinner coming up soon. Unfortunately none of the suits or the tuxedo I already own qualifies.

Please see this link for definition of what I mean (there's usually a different name in every language so I fin differentiating between different types of formal wear
confusing and painful so... a link for you) White Tie - Wikipedia

Does anyone have any tips on where I can find this in Dubai? Is it a good idea to check out the Dubai Festival City mall (as they have a part of the mall with all thos '75% off' suit stores) or is there a better place?

Since this is most likely something I will only wear once (not a lot of invitation to white tie dinners, unfortunately) or at least not even once per year, I would be very happy if there are something relatively cheap to find.

Many thanks!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ah so you basically need a Morning Suit.

The Wedding Shop in the Jumeirah Centre on Beach rd hires them - 350 Dhs for trousers, waitstcoat, tailed jacket etc etc not sure if they have top hats though.

If you google the wedding shop, their contact deets come up, give them a call and ask.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah so you basically need a Morning Suit.

The Wedding Shop in the Jumeirah Centre on Beach rd hires them - 350 Dhs for trousers, waitstcoat, tailed jacket etc etc not sure if they have top hats though.

If you google the wedding shop, their contact deets come up, give them a call and ask.:)
Thanks, that's great! No need for a top hat fortunately :)

Just to clarify though, "morning suit" seems to be slightly different from what I need (e.g. morning suit has striped or checkered pants). But I'm sure the Wedding Shop can advise. Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
pet hate : the word TUXEDO

it's a Dinner Jacket!
Is that a UK/US thing?

To update, The Wedding Shop had a large supply of morning suits, which looks something like this:

It is a type of suit I don't think I have actually ever seen before (or probably seen, but never noticed before), while they didn't have any of the type of suit I need (which I thought was MUCH more common):

Since this forum is full of British people I'm sure someone went to boarding school and learnt everything about these things and can shed some light :D (joking, but c'mon, looking at suits like that, English Nobility comes to mind, no?)

Anyhow, I've decided to rent a tailsuit in the country I'm travelling to so no need to find one in Dubai anymore.

Thanks all

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ah Ok, to be honest I'm not really up to date on my suits lol

If memory serves there was also a shop on Al Diyafa Street (now known as December 2nd street) which hired a multitude of suits and dresses, could take a wander and try there. Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

And yes @vantage Tuxedo = American English, Dinner Jacket = British English - I just use Tux as it's most common here.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
And yes @vantage Tuxedo = American English, Dinner Jacket = British English - I just use Tux as it's most common here.
Tuxedo makes me think of a suit in baby blue with some beige detailing with a lot of frills!

My problem is the pervasive nature of American English via the goggle-box, to the extent that all British kids now attend a 'prom' wearing a 'tux' and sporting a 'corsage', and arriving in a 'stretch limo'.
It's fairly hard to get less British than that!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Chocoholic said:
Ah Ok, to be honest I'm not really up to date on my suits lol

If memory serves there was also a shop on Al Diyafa Street (now known as December 2nd street) which hired a multitude of suits and dresses, could take a wander and try there. Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

I recommended that shop a while ago on here and was told it had closed down.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts