Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In US/Canada when people move they leave their furniture outside on the street.
Also you can find a lot of free stuff on Craigslist and other sites.
How to find free furniture in France? One of my hobbies is renovating old, often broken items, and it's not as much fun as I need to go an buy it (they are often already restored, or simply not worth the price)...

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
In US/Canada when people move they leave their furniture outside on the street.
Also you can find a lot of free stuff on Craigslist and other sites.
How to find free furniture in France? One of my hobbies is renovating old, often broken items, and it's not as much fun as I need to go an buy it (they are often already restored, or simply not worth the price)...
You could try this website - not necessarily free, but often low cost Un nouveau site de petites annonces gratuites sécurisé pour vendre et acheter neuf ou d’occasion près de chez soi. Or try your local Emmaus, or ask at your local Mairie. You will generally find that in France people either sell or give to local charities and most communes don't like such items being left on the street (although that does occur from time to time).

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Many towns have a service to remove large articles people want to get rid of (furniture, friidges, etc). This is called enlèvement des encombrants and takes place several times a year.

People put their unwanted articles outside their homes for the collection - often the night before - and by the time the collection takes place there is often nothing left as people go round helping themselves to anything that interests them.

So you just need to know the dates, which you can get from the Mairie.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Many towns have a service to remove large articles people want to get rid of (furniture, friidges, etc). This is called enlèvement des encombrants and takes place several times a year.

People put their unwanted articles outside their homes for the collection - often the night before - and by the time the collection takes place there is often nothing left as people go round helping themselves to anything that interests them.

So you just need to know the dates, which you can get from the Mairie.
Encombrants (déchets volumineux)  - Service-public.fr

·
Registered
661 Posts
observer123 said:
In US/Canada when people move they leave their furniture outside on the street. Also you can find a lot of free stuff on Craigslist and other sites. How to find free furniture in France? One of my hobbies is renovating old, often broken items, and it's not as much fun as I need to go an buy it (they are often already restored, or simply not worth the price)...
https://donnons.org/donne_675.php?catID=25

1 - 7 of 7 Posts