My budget is upto 750k including stamp duty

Have shortlisted

Coburg
Pascoe vale
Reservoir
Preston
Fawkner

But even within these suburbs I am sure there would be no go areas

Any member who can advise me on them if I shortlist a few properties ?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,693 Posts
Any property Gurus also on the forum ?

Looking for a 3 bedroom house in North Melbourne

Have shortlisted

Coburg
Pascoe vale
Reservoir
Preston
Fawkner

Cheers
Could try a browse here, if you haven't already:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...-ab&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=sPC0WcjIF6bu8wf-9a3gAg :)

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Coburg is out of your budget and even Coburg North is getting expensive, which is pushing people out to Fawkner and Hadfield and Pascoe Vale. I would choose Pascoe Vale of the 3, I find the farther north you go the less amenities you have.

Preston and Reservoir might also be out of the budget aside from the eastern bits of those suburbs which are considered less desirable.

·
Registered
23,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Coburg is out of your budget and even Coburg North is getting expensive, which is pushing people out to Fawkner and Hadfield and Pascoe Vale. I would choose Pascoe Vale of the 3, I find the farther north you go the less amenities you have.

Preston and Reservoir might also be out of the budget aside from the eastern bits of those suburbs which are considered less desirable.
There are quite a few for sale even in Coburg in my budget

If you can spare the time,

https://www.realestate.com.au/buy/p...058/list-1?maxBeds=any&source=location-search

Would any of these look interesting to you or which you would not touch ?

(This will just give me an insight for future listings )

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
I only saw 4 townhouses on your list in Coburg, I wouldn't say that's quite a few. It's a competitive market so houses going to auction are generally going above the guide price. Assume at least 10% over if not more. Your budget is really only around $720k since you said you wanted to pay no more than $750k including stamp duty.

You should look at the sales listings for your desired suburbs to get a better sense of what you can get for your money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Location, location, location.

No idea about the suburbs (am not familiar with N. suburbs) but as Ozbound says, you should budget a good 10-15% above the highest estimate provided by the REA (more so if there is a lot of demand). And if there is developer demand then forget it. You may be better off looking at townhouses instead, at least you won't be competing with developers.

Having/plan to have kids? Then buy in an area with reputable primary public schools and public transport (preferably serviced by a train station).

I am also looking to buy a place, preferably in Camberwell (my brother and his family live there)/Surrey Hills/Hawthorn East. Shortlisted a few, so hopefully, should be able to finalise something soon.

Good luck.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Location, location, location.

No idea about the suburbs (am not familiar with N. suburbs) but as Ozbound says, you should budget a good 10-15% above the highest estimate provided by the REA (more so if there is a lot of demand). And if there is developer demand then forget it. You may be better off looking at townhouses instead, at least you won't be competing with developers.

Having/plan to have kids? Then buy in an area with reputable primary public schools and public transport (preferably serviced by a train station).

I am also looking to buy a place, preferably in Camberwell (my brother and his family live there)/Surrey Hills/Hawthorn East. Shortlisted a few, so hopefully, should be able to finalise something soon.

Good luck.
Hey there, did you end up buying in camberwell? My son goes to Hartwell, just wondering how much would be the budget?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there, did you end up buying in camberwell? My son goes to Hartwell, just wondering how much would be the budget?
Hey ATD, yes. Just to let you, prices are falling all around Melbourne. So my advice would be wait.

Don't believe the papers/reports/agents saying just .1-2% falls. In every single auction I have attended I find that the fall in prices (private sale prices) are much more drastic as buyers have simply disappeared. NOT A SINGLE BIDDER in majority of the auctions.

I would suggest attending auctions regularly to get a feel for the market.

Good luck.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Any property Gurus also on the forum ?

Looking for a 3 bedroom house in North Melbourne

Have shortlisted

Coburg

Pascoe vale

Reservoir

Preston

Fawkner

Cheers

Hey NB,
Where did you buy finally? What was the cost including everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have seen many posts of your story in my 2 bit forum. Congrats for purchasing new home. Good bless you with more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts