Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have advice on where to go to find decent quality furniture? I'm new to Dubai and am shipping some things out with me but still need to buy sofas, chairs, tables etc. I'm looking for good quality and contemporary/modern styles. Not IKEA...

Thanks!

·
Registered
140 Posts
When there's a sale on, I find Home Centre to be pretty good. Homes R Us is also not bad. I bought my couch, dining table and chairs and a few other tidbits from both places and I'm happy with everything.

I bought a coffee table from IKEA when there was a sale.

PAN Emirates was recommended to me but I found them crazily expensive however when they had a sale on recently, they were remarkably affordable. Go figure!

You can find some cheaper quality stuff at LuLu as well.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Pan Emirates is pretty cheap. Cheap prices, cheap materials, cheap construction.

The 'palace' complexion is impressive from a certain perspective. :eek:

The range of furniture in Dubai isn't particularly great as it seems to be either the overpriced and expensive or cheap and basic (Ikea) with little in between. A lot of the furniture also isn't to western taste.

I like the American stores - Crate and Barrel at Mall of Emirates and Pottery Barn at Dubai Mall the best for they offer the best value for the quality you receive. They're still not cheap but the design and quality is something you could live with for years rather than disposing of them after a few years as is the case with Ikea or Home Centre. Crate and Barrel particularly has some very nice simple contemporary designs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pan Emirates is pretty cheap. Cheap prices, cheap materials, cheap construction.

The 'palace' complexion is impressive from a certain perspective. :eek:

The range of furniture in Dubai isn't particularly great as it seems to be either the overpriced and expensive or cheap and basic (Ikea) with little in between. A lot of the furniture also isn't to western taste.

I like the American stores - Crate and Barrel at Mall of Emirates and Pottery Barn at Dubai Mall the best for they offer the best value for the quality you receive. They're still not cheap but the design and quality is something you could live with for years rather than disposing of them after a few years as is the case with Ikea or Home Centre. Crate and Barrel particularly has some very nice simple contemporary designs.
Thanks dear

·
Registered
14 Posts
dbxwill, I've just been through this experience. It really depends on your budget. I found a combination of shopping for the perfect item on Dubizzle and using Home Center, @ Home, Lakeland (kitchen items), Crate & Barrel (pricey), a few other smaller shops in Mall of the Emirates, Carrefour and Ace Hardware.

Two places I remember that I'd avoid is Western Furniture due to the price and Pan Furniture because their funiture wasn't appealing.

If you can afford it then Marina Exotic Home Furnishings and The One have some very nice but very expensive items. Both can be found in Mall of the Emirates.

For mattresses, try Carrefour. Their mattresses are great and at a reasonable price, 2k-5k for king.

Finally watch out for the bed frame you buy, the sizes for king are all slightly different to try and make you buy their mattresses/bedding. Some places do custom size mattresses, I only remember that Carrefour does this.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's excellent advice! Thank you. I'm not really looking for budget furniture so am happy to spend more for quality.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's excellent advice! Thank you. I'm not really looking for budget furniture so am happy to spend more for quality.
For good quality and modern furniture- have you tried the below? They are all on Sheikh Zayed Road and also have good websites to get an idea of the selection.

Western Furniture (my favourite)
Casanova
Natuzzi
Roche Bobois
Indigo Living

·
Registered
14 Posts
I forgot to mention overstock.com, half the price for most items of equal quality but it takes a couple of weeks to arrive. Beware that they inflate the price and then add on delivery/taxes. It still works out fairly good and their range is excellent.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There's a furniture place in Times Square Centre...I forget the name but they had some really nice furniture in general. Comes at a price of course but I'd go there if my budget allowed me.

As for The One, I love their stuff. Just can't afford it in this lifetime! I think I saw an armchair for a cool 4000AED. wow!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts