Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
We are semi-retiring to Tabua, Coimbra shortly and hubby suffers bored man syndrome! He is a plumber/heating engineer and we've been told that expats will be keen to have an English speaking plumber understand their problem/carry out their work and he is keen to keep his hand in and pick up a few jobs. Where could we advertise his availability? Facebook pages? Keen to know where you would look if you were trying to find a plumber/HE?

Thanks
Fiona

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've started a small engineering workshop in Madeira.
I do absolutely no advertising, it's all word of mouth and I'm as busy as I want to be.

Having seen the problems induced by previous mechanics, I find that customers ( both British and Madeiran) are more than happy to have a steady and straight talking hand on their car mechanicals.

Some of the wiring I see here is truly shocking ( no pun intended ) and wouldn't pass the most basic of safety inspections. I'm currently rewiring my new workshop.
A good electrician here would make a mint.

The water installations don't seem too great either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello

You could try E-Beira it's a classified add site. With so many good Portuguese plumbers if his price is more than the Portuguese workers charge he won't last long.

Fred
Super advice :) Classifeld papers and even putting up smaller adverts in local shops / etc help no end - Give it 5 years and it will be like the UK... Everyone will google what they want lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
im a plumber and gas engineer too, not really looking to do much work when we retire to albufeira but probably want to do some to keep me as busy as i want to be, luckily i wont need to do it for money to live, so will prob charge for material fuel and a little extra rather than work for free, given the standard of gas work i see i feel i will stay well away from it rather than be associated with it haha

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.