Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I'm a newbie on this website, but I'm very happy to have found it :)

Currently I'm an american who has been living in Italy for almost 3 years and I'm thinking of relocating to France but before I relocate I was thinking of taking a french course for 6 or 8 weeks and start learning the language first then maybe in september 2010 maybe try and move to france. I will continue with a french course in italy also. Because I live in Italy, Ive been to Paris a few times and Nice once, but I really love Paris. But I was wondering are there any other cities that anyone would recommend to take a french course. Also I'm in my 30s and would like to find a french roommate for 2 months to help with learning my french so any suggestions and ideas are welcomed :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have lived in Lille, worked in Roubaix, weekended in Paris and so far, the best place I've ever lived in France is Lyon. I lived here for a year or so back in 99/00 and have lived here again for a year now (and will stay another two) and I freakin' LOVE it here. The city is full of art and culture. There are all kinds of universities here. The city is very "green" in that it has EXCELLENT mass transit (especially with the Velov's). There are organic farmer's markets as well as "bio" sections in most major stores. If I hadn't spent the past year or so dreaming and researching organic farming in the States (I even already bought property for my farm-to-be), I would campaign to spend the rest of my life right here in Lyon.

If you do decide to study here, hit me up and I'll do what I can to help you settle in. I'm bilingual in English/French and can help you with that, too, if you need.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi jojo and thanks for the reply. wow you sound so excited about Lyon that I'm really going to look into universities there. I like the fact that it is green, that's definietly a plus for me. Culture and Art is always nice and thats what I love about Italy. What universities would you recommend or what website or should I start my research? also I'd like to share an apartment with someone prefer who is french just to help with my french while I'm studying. I dont mind renting a place alone but I'd like to meet people and etc.. if you have a roommate who is french it would be easier. Thanks :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well, there are a kazillion different schools here. LOL! There's Lyon 1, 2 and 3. I can't ever remember which one teaches which, but I know that there's a science university called La Doua (I think that's Lyon 1) and then there's humanities and other stuff at 2 and 3. ACTUALLY.... if you go to this site: en - Site Officiel de la Ville de Lyon you can find all kinds of stuff about Lyon. If you go to La Doua, you could even live nearby in Villeurbanne for a lot cheaper than in town. There are a lot of residence halls here also. If you Google the CROUS, you can probably find lots of information about residence halls and student restos. Before you come here permanently to study, maybe you should come here for the weekend and see it for yourself. There is a SUPER COOL youth hostel on the hillside of Vieux Lyon on the road near Fourviere. If you make it this far, drop me an email and I'll meet you for coffee and show you around.

I TOTALLY agree with you about having a roommate!!! Especially if you could find one who is bilingual that you get along with and can meet his/her friends. That way, you won't be COMPLETELY alone English-wise, but will have a foot in the door to meet other French people. And it never hurts to have an English-speaking ally, you know?

Anyway, if you have any other specific questions, do not hesitate to ask. If I get the chance to do more specific research tomorrow, I'll send you some more sites.

Talk to you soon!
Joelie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jo for the link. I'm going to start doing some research and will plan a visit there Oct or Nov. I'm in Italy so I'm close by and I live near Pisa. That was my plan to take advantage of the fact that I do live nearby and visit Lyon at least a few times and look at places and etc.. so I know exactly what I'm getting myself into ;)

I would really love to find a french roommate not only cheaper but like you said a good way to meet people and etc.. Is there a local site where I can look for roommates? Then while I'm there and I can meet up with a few roomies and see the place and etc.. Not sure about dorm living if its all crowded and noisey, I'd prefer an apartment near town or close to transport..

Send me your email and I'll definietly keep in touch, you are a doll :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Jo I was soing some research and came across the school Ecole interculturelle de français pour étrangers. have you hear of it before? On the website to says it's located in the heart of UNESCO. Also there was l'Alliance Française de Lyon which the prices are very good and I like the options of workshops which includes oral and grammar which is good. The school is located in the 3rd district. is that a good area and not too expensive? I'm going to see if I can find any websites looking for roommates or studio apartments.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey Jo I was soing some research and came across the school Ecole interculturelle de français pour étrangers. have you hear of it before? On the website to says it's located in the heart of UNESCO. Also there was l'Alliance Française de Lyon which the prices are very good and I like the options of workshops which includes oral and grammar which is good. The school is located in the 3rd district. is that a good area and not too expensive? I'm going to see if I can find any websites looking for roommates or studio apartments.
I did a school at either Lyon 2 or Lyon 3... I can't remember. It was AWESOME. It was specifically designed to prepare international students to take courses in French universities... Now I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but it was REALLY REALLY good. Cost-wise, credentials and curriculum I really see it as the best deal. I'll try to remember to look it up tomorrow and send you the link.

I really don't know any specific places to look for roommates other than just on bulletin boards around the campuses. But I bet if you Google the universities around here, they'd have SOME kind of link to that kind of thing. There's also a classifieds newspaper here called ParuVendu and they have an internet site as well. You might want to look on there. However, I'd be pretty cautious about who you meet on there. :eek: Just saying... You never know.

They do speak English at the tourism office down on the Place Bellecour and the times that I have had Anglophone visitors, the people who worked down there were SUPER friendly. So, that would be the first place I'd go. And yes, I'd contact the Alliance Francaise as well.

Again, I'll try to get back to you tomorrow about that school...S'driving me nuts I can't remember the name. :confused2: :mad:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jo and just let me know when you remember. I know how it is when the name of something is on the tip of your tongue..

I was thinking the samething about classifieds because you just never know and I dont mind living with a male or female but I just want to make sure they are legit and not looking for a sex slave or something LOL... I'll look into the PaurVendu too.. you are such a big help. can't wait to meet you :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Jo and just let me know when you remember. I know how it is when the name of something is on the tip of your tongue..

I was thinking the samething about classifieds because you just never know and I dont mind living with a male or female but I just want to make sure they are legit and not looking for a sex slave or something LOL... I'll look into the PaurVendu too.. you are such a big help. can't wait to meet you :)
Okay, so I looked at ParuVendu and didn't see anything for roommates, but once you get an apartment, remember the site and the paper because you can find all kinds of stuff (furniture, bikes, TV, etc.) in there!

I DID however Google "camarade de chambre Lyon, France" and came up with a few hits

trouver un camarade de chambre Lyon, France - Google Search

BUT, when I Googled "cherche colocataire Lyon, France" I found this cool site:
Colocation Lyon - Annonces de colocation sur Lyon

AND, I finally found that school that I went to. Keep in mind, I went there 10 years ago, but it was really good at that time and they were JUST getting started, so I can only imagine that they are better now. They can almost certainly also put you in contact with other students who need roommates, too.

It's called CIEF (Centre Int'l d'Etudes Francaises):
Centre International d'Études Françaises

The more I think about Lyon, the more I wish I was still a student here. Lol! I'm an old married lady now (okay, so I'm 34, not so old, but still VERY married) with three kids, but even *I* manage to get out and party from time to time and Lyon is a great place for it. Like I said before, the tranportation system is STELLAR, but even if it weren't, so much of the city is so well lit that you can walk safely home from downtown if you live nearby (that's what I usually do). The student life is VERY active and vibrant here. There's ALWAYS stuff to do! AND there are little things AROUND Lyon that you can do on the weekends (sometimes there are things like the Salon des Vins out at the big conference center... it's basically a wine conference... they also have a beer conference.... There is an AMAZING bird park not too far away (you might have to take a train or hitch a ride with some other students or something)... And there's Perouges, which is an awesome little medieval village... Grenoble, the Alps, Annecy, and Geneva are all short train rides away so you could even do like day trips or weekend trips to these places... even Nice is a cool night train away...)...

ANYWAY, enough blabber about that. Let me know if you have any other questions or need help finding anything else.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The more I think about Lyon, the more I wish I was still a student here. Lol! I'm an old married lady now (okay, so I'm 34, not so old, but still VERY married) with three kids, but even *I* manage to get out and party from time to time and Lyon is a great place for it. .
Jo we are around the same age so we are far from old :D Ive always said just because oyu are a wife and have kids doesnt mean you have to stay in the house and not have fun. You still can get out and let your hair down ..

I'm going to check the sites and the school. Thanks for the link. I'm hoping I'll find a roommate in their 30s or even late 20s like 28/29 but for sure i cant live with party animals. I like to party but not 24/7..

I'm really getting excited about lyon.. I'm looking to come in the next month. I'll let you know what I find on the sites you sent.. thanks :love:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi jojo just to give you an update I did hear back from the school that you did your course at and I'm going to go with them. Unfortunately I'll have to take the course in july which is a summer course, they did have any courses that would fit in my time frame for Feb.. But I'm planning to come to Lyon in Feb to check out the school and areas where i would like to stay. I think I'm a bit too old to stay in the dorms and would prefer a roommate.

Any suggestions on bed and breakfasts or boutique hotels to stay in Lyon? You have been a big help and we must meet up for a tea

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.