Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not my question, but one posed in this Ted Talk

More and more people worldwide are living in countries not considered their own. Writer Pico Iyer -- who himself has three or four “origins” -- meditates on the meaning of home, the joy of traveling and the serenity of standing still.

Pico Iyer: Where is home? | Video on TED.com
Some quotes

Home is the place where you become yourself

And home isnot just the place where you sleep. It's the place where you stand

I love the idea in the first quote:)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
The first line of the Czech National Anthem translates as 'Where is my home?' and goes on to sing of where there are rushing waters, forests etc.and Czech soil.
Nice melody too. Not sure but I think it was composed by Dvorak or some well-know Czech composer.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
At one time, I would probably have said England, thinking more of the village in which I was born. But on reflection it was not so much the actual place but the atmosphere, the attitude, the warmth and affection exercised by people towards others. It was in that place, that environment that I felt at home. Some thirty or more years later, long after I had moved away, I was walking with my then wife along a country road about ten miles away from where I was born and as we passed an isolated cottage a disembodied voice came from the garden "Hello, good afternoon". Somebody I had never seen before in my life was taking the trouble to speak to us, complete and utter strangers, with warmth and friendliness. OK, so he may have just been lonely and looking for somebody to pass the time of day with. It didn't matter. I felt I was at "home"

We get the same attitude here in this village so for me, here is home.

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A trip down memory lane for you Mrypg9. Emotional stuff. If the UK had a national anthem like that I might be more emotionally stirred at sports events etc when the national anthem is played!
I find the speakers' ideas of home being a work in progress for many young people nowadays, about home being a piece of your soul and not a piece of soil, that home is not something assigned to you at birth like it was generations ago etc more interesting than national anthems though :)

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
A trip down memory lane for you Mrypg9. Emotional stuff. If the UK had a national anthem like that I might be more emotionally stirred at sports events etc when the national anthem is played!
Czech Republic National Anthem English lyrics - YouTube
I find the speakers' ideas of home being a work in progress for many young people nowadays, about home being a piece of your soul and not a piece of soil, that home is not something assigned to you at birth like it was generations ago etc more interesting than national anthems though :)
It's a nice tune, isn't it...:)

I totally agree about our anthem. It's a dreary dirge, originally I believe a German hymn...with dire words.
The Scots have 'Flower of Scotland', also imo a dreary dirge, the Welsh have 'Land of My Fathers', a pretty tune...all I can think of for England is 'Jerusalem'......
And as for Northern Ireland...what could be acceptable to both communities, Catholic and Protestant?

·
Registered
7,086 Posts

I totally agree about our anthem. It's a dreary dirge, originally I believe a German hymn...with dire words.
The Scots have 'Flower of Scotland', also imo a dreary dirge, the Welsh have 'Land of My Fathers', a pretty tune...all I can think of for England is 'Jerusalem'......
And as for Northern Ireland...what could be acceptable to both communities, Catholic and Protestant?
Mary - you really should start to watch rugby...

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Mary - you really should start to watch rugby...

ireland's call lyrics - YouTube
Simon..I watch football. I watch cricket. I watch tennis. I watch snooker. I watch boxing. Heck, I even watch darts..

But rugby? It passes all understanding. To me it is as if there are no rules and it is chiefly homoerotic groping.

My two grandsons are very good rugby playrrs. They play for their Uni.
My son coaches and the whole family,dil included, attend most big matches.

But its attraction eludes me completely..

·
Registered
7,086 Posts
Simon..I watch football. I watch cricket. I watch tennis. I watch snooker. I watch boxing. Heck, I even watch darts..

But rugby? It passes all understanding. To me it is as if there are no rules and it is chiefly homoerotic groping.

My two grandsons are very good rugby playrrs. They play for their Uni.
My son coaches and the whole family,dil included, attend most big matches.

But its attraction eludes me completely..

·
Registered
19,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps that's something else that certain people don't like.
What¿¿¿???:confused: :lol:

It's to do with the size of the pictures that on some computers "stretch" the size of the "window" and so therefore you can't see all of the buttons. It's happened before on the pictures in Spain thread. Don't you remember???
The size of the pictures will have to be reduced somehow...

·
Administrator
36,528 Posts
What a truly fabulous post!! Sheer genius!! Deserves a million likes!!

I still dont like rugby, though..;)

Can't find the 'like'button..
Still no like button for that post..
it's definitely there

How strange - I had one and now have the follow up "Unlike" Perhaps that's something else that certain people don't like.
I can see it too
What¿¿¿???:confused: :lol:

It's to do with the size of the pictures that on some computers "stretch" the size of the "window" and so therefore you can't see all of the buttons. It's happened before on the pictures in Spain thread. Don't you remember???
The size of the pictures will have to be reduced somehow...
that's more than likely the explanation :D

mrypg9 - have you tried ctrl - ..............to reduce everything on the screen?

that should bring the like button into view

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
it's definitely there

I can see it too

that's more than likely the explanation :D

mrypg9 - have you tried ctrl - ..............to reduce everything on the screen?

that should bring the like button into view

Thanks, will try on laptop, not sure how with tablet.

·
Registered
567 Posts

Hi - I agree that the British anthem's dreadful! I feel completely alienated from the idea that our anthem needs to include references either to the Monarchy or to any form of religious belief - why should it be so?

I look forward to the day (probably not in my lifetime, however..) when the Britsh anthem aims to be inclusive rather than exclusive - so let's cut out any mention of a supernatural being and of any human being who's apparently been annointed by 'God' to rule over the rest of us!

Actually, although, almost inevitably, the words are sentimental, I prefer the most recent Australian anthem - 'Sing Australia!' At least, it aims to be inclusive - our own is now incredibly dated and I doubt that the majority of our population feels supportive of all of its lyrics - personally speaking, I cringe, every time I hear it sung..!

Saludos,
GC

Reactions: Alcalaina

·
Registered
15,745 Posts
I like the Spanish national anthem, which has no words, and the South African one which has at least five languages and nearly as many key changes. When La Roja played RSA at football the other day I got them both in one go.

But these are rare examples. Anthems are used as much to divide as to unite (Flower of Scotland being the classic example). I'm not too keen on any symbols of nationalism, for that reason.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Actually, although, almost inevitably, the words are sentimental, I prefer the most recent Australian anthem - 'Sing Australia!' At least, it aims to be inclusive - our own is now incredibly dated and I doubt that the majority of our population feels supportive of all of its lyrics - personally speaking, I cringe, every time I hear it sung..!

Saludos,
GC

??

I know I have been away for a while but I'm pretty sure our anthem is 'Advance Australia Fair'. It's awfully dull and boring.
The only positive is without it I wouldn't know what the word 'Girt' meant. I wonder how many people know what girt means without resorting to google.
There is always talk that Waltzing Matilda should of been our anthem, which is about a sheep rustler committing suicide. Now that would qualify as a spectacularly stupid anthem yet still better than our current one.

I like the Kiwis anthem, that is nice and with the Maori parts as well.

Also I like the bloodbath of La Marseillaise even if it has kind of lost it's relevancy.

·
Registered
22,369 Posts
Hi - I agree that the British anthem's dreadful! I feel completely alienated from the idea that our anthem needs to include references either to the Monarchy or to any form of religious belief - why should it be so?

I look forward to the day (probably not in my lifetime, however..) when the Britsh anthem aims to be inclusive rather than exclusive - so let's cut out any mention of a supernatural being and of any human being who's apparently been annointed by 'God' to rule over the rest of us!

Saludos,
GC
Yes, it's cringe-making, dreary and stolen from a German Hymn tune..

Personally, I like the idea of 'Jersusalem' but it's got references to England so that's out as long as we're UK plc.

I can't agree with Alcalaina...well, I do in so far as I personally don't give a toss about flags, anthems etc. But many if not most people do have notions, albeit vague, of national allegiances and always have done .

It seems one of those issues, the family being another, which the intellectual left get wrong.

But as it seems we must have a national song, then 'God Save the Queen' should be ditched in favour of something more sensible. Perhaps, like the Czechs, we should look into the music of our great British composers, Vaughan Williams, Elgar..even Handel, who wrote most of his works in England?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts