Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

Firstly to introduce myself my name is claire and we (my husband and 3 year old daughter) are looking to move to France in the near future. I was wondering if you could advise on a good area to move too. We want an area not too rural with expats close by - thanks in advance for your help

·
Administrator
48,568 Posts
The best area to live in France (or anywhere, I guess) is somewhere close to where your work or other source of income is.

Maybe if you told us a bit more about how and why you're moving to France, we could offer a few suggestions. In general, there are loads of English speaking expats (though not highly organized into clubs or associations) in Normandy - where you can also pick up British radio pretty easily.

The largest concentration of English speaking expats is probably in and around Paris - and if your livelihood is Paris based, then it's the place to be. There are some surprisingly "rural" areas not that far from Paris. And Paris has the big advantage of having the most to offer in terms of English speaking resources and professionals (doctors, hospitals, lawyers, etc.).

Down south, Aix is a well known center for English speaking expats. Toulouse is also known for expats, but of all persuasions and language groups.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bev thanks for the response. In regards to work mine is Internet based and my husband is very flexible so we are lucky . Ideally we would like to head further down than Paris and again ideally near an airport (would be happy to travel an hour or so to get there) we are very sociable people so it is important to be able to mix and mingle and also my daughter would be attending school in the future. Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
64 Posts
Pro's and Con's

Hi to anyone wanting to live in France.
There are Pro's and Con's to all situations, sometimes a lot can depend on your financial situation, if you are going to rent or buy your accommodation, if your business is internet based then it really doesn't matter where you live so long as you have a good connection, that is unless your business is product or service based then you have to think about supply and demand.
The highly populated areas like Paris Nice Cannes Toulouse Lyon etc can be much more expensive to rent or buy than the rural areas which is common sense throughout but also a lot higher paid jobs.
I also conduct a lot of my work through the internet but I chose to live in a small rural Village, get away from the rat race, little or no crime and yet still plenty of UK Expats to hang out with if I choose to.
If your work depends on the City to supply the employment for your chosen profession then commuting each day can work but also can be costly with the rising fuel prices and the time spent traveling but you always have that retreat away from the city life, like I said pro's and con's to everything.

I can't really give advice on where to live in France, that's a preference thing, however I can suggest renting for a while in the area you choose just to see if it suits you, the housing market is difficult at the moment prices seem to be a little unstable, buying and then finding difficulties selling if you decide not to stay in a certain area can cause long delays to your future plans.

Renting can be quite easy, most immobilier have rental properties on their books and even though you have to sign a legal lease contract you can leave by giving sufficient notice in writing, but read the small print first.

With regards to Airports Michael O' Leary has just about covered that with most areas having a Ryanair Airport within a couple of hours drive maximum with daily flight back to the UK and Ireland, winter time can see flights down to 2 or 3 times a week but still they are available.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice - I think it is now a case of having a good look at areas and what they can provide for a family. My husband and I have both previously lived a broad for a long period of time so we are aware of the pros and cons however as they say you are never to old to learn!

I would like to find out where people on this site live and why they have chosen that area. As you know it's impossible to visit all areas

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
5 Posts
We live in Normandy and I would highly recommend it for friendly English speaking people and very family friendly French neighbours and activities but as someone else mentioned we are not really organised in any fashion so a case of building your own network - which doesn't take too long once you join something like an English Church.

Thanks for your advice - I think it is now a case of having a good look at areas and what they can provide for a family. My husband and I have both previously lived a broad for a long period of time so we are aware of the pros and cons however as they say you are never to old to learn!

I would like to find out where people on this site live and why they have chosen that area. As you know it's impossible to visit all areas

Thanks again for your help

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.