Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

If half way through my tenancy agreement, i decide i want to upgrade from my apartment to a villa, where do i stand?

Am i free to move out and sacrifice my bond? Or can my landlord take legal action against me? Surely not as if i was to lose my job id leave anyway.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
It entirely depends on the terms of your contract. Did you get an opt-out clause written in? if not, then you have no right to break your lease before the end.

-

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as i am aware its a bog standed contract.

Ok so what would happen if i did move out? Apart from sacrificing my bond?

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
As far as i am aware its a bog standed contract.

Ok so what would happen if i did move out? Apart from sacrificing my bond?
You would have given the landlord post dated cheques ? He still has the right to encash those and you would be liable for criminal prosecution if the cheques are dishonored.

The best way forward is to check your rent contract. If there is an opt-out clause then use it, else speak to your landlord and try to work something out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you signed a 12 month contract you are legally bounded to pay the rent for 12 mths

I think the best thing you can do is be upfront with the landlord & tell him what you want to do .. he may have some suggestions .. you never know !!

Problem is its not too easy finding tenants now .. so he may not agree
But like you say you would have to leave if you lost your job ..... talk to him .. try & work something out
but legally he can say no & demand that you finish your contract or pay him the remaining balance of the contract

·
Registered
27 Posts
as others have said you are stuck with whatever your tenancy contract says. If there's no mention of a right for your to break the agreement before 12 months then you could consider trying to sub-let - if your tenancy contract allows it and it would be up to you to find a tenant willing to take on the property for the rest of the year.

Bear in mind that if you have paid 12 months rent in advance then it will be very difficult to recover, pro rata, what you have paid beyond the date you break the lease unless you have a very understanding landlord. As rsinner mentions you will have a similar problem if you've given the landlord PDCs - will be very difficult to get them back from the landlord whatever the tenancy contract says on leaving early.

You might try involving the rent committee at Dubai Land Dept but don't expect them to be helpful or efficient.

You're best move will probably be to stick out the remainder of your tenancy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.