Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a three prong female electrical plug similar to the one shown in the below picture, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere here in PI. I tried contacting Eagle Electric directly (they actually helped me out with some weather proof boxes and covers) but their sales rep told me that they don't carry the three prong version, and they only have the two prong ungrounded version. I can find the male version all over the place, but no one seems to have the female plug.

I want to get about three or four of these things, because I want to have easy way to disconnect my television and a few other appliances during the start of a lightning storm ( I once lost a cable box because I didn't unplug it during a lightning storm). As it is right now, I've got my television plugged into a receptacle which is deep behind a heavy piece of furniture. (same for my cable box, router, and DVD player). My plan is to make a couple of short extension cords about one or two meters in length, and then plug that into the wall, and plug power strip into that for easy disconnection.

I know that they sell extension cords over here, but most of them are made with 1.25 mm wire, and I'd really like to make my own using a heavier gauge wire.

mmYhkZbeVEDJLBMFdgf4bTQ.jpg

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Maxx62

What good is the 3 prong version there? Here in the states we have 2 hots and a ground for 220. I believe there they use only 1 hot and common ground for 220. Also those plugs you are showing are for 110 v. They will have 1 hot, 1 common ground/neutral and the direct ground.

Why don't you buy surge protector and plug the electronics into it?

art

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I'm looking for a three prong female electrical plug similar to the one shown in the below picture, but I cannot seem to find it anywhere here in PI. I tried contacting Eagle Electric directly (they actually helped me out with some weather proof boxes and covers) but their sales rep told me that they don't carry the three prong version, and they only have the two prong ungrounded version. I can find the male version all over the place, but no one seems to have the female plug.

I want to get about three or four of these things, because I want to have easy way to disconnect my television and a few other appliances during the start of a lightning storm ( I once lost a cable box because I didn't unplug it during a lightning storm). As it is right now, I've got my television plugged into a receptacle which is deep behind a heavy piece of furniture. (same for my cable box, router, and DVD player). My plan is to make a couple of short extension cords about one or two meters in length, and then plug that into the wall, and plug power strip into that for easy disconnection.

I know that they sell extension cords over here, but most of them are made with 1.25 mm wire, and I'd really like to make my own using a heavier gauge wire.

View attachment 80986
Some of the local Mom & Pop hardware stores carry them.
Also visit Ace/Truevalue Hardware at a local mall.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some of the local Mom & Pop hardware stores carry them.
Also visit Ace/Truevalue Hardware at a local mall.
Been to all the retail establishments, but all they have is the three prong male plug, but not the female plug. I figured that there might be a wholesaler up north in Luzon somewhere? if I can find a wholesaler, I have a retailer in my area who will order for me.

·
Registered
734 Posts
hey maxx

where you going to plug them in at? I am trying to figure out what you are doing. I don't understand why you don't buy surge protectors for the electronics.

art

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Maxx62

What good is the 3 prong version there? Here in the states we have 2 hots and a ground for 220. I believe there they use only 1 hot and common ground for 220. Also those plugs you are showing are for 110 v. They will have 1 hot, 1 common ground/neutral and the direct ground.

Why don't you buy surge protector and plug the electronics into it?

art
That's true, back in the states the 220v used to power clothes dryers and cooking ranges uses two hot legs of 110v and one neutral to give 220v. However, over here in the PI the situation with household current is different, and over here (at least in my area) we have one hot line that is 220v and a neutral line coming into the circuit panel, and that is it. (compared to the two hot 110v and one neutral feeding circuit breaker panel in US home.)

Also, back in the US they take all of the ground leads from each wall receptacle, and connect them to a busbar inside the breaker box, and then the bus bar is connected by another wire to a grounding rod that is hammered into the Earth. Of course they don't worry about grounding anything over here in the PI, because running a third wire to every receptacle in the house would be expensive, so they only run two wires, one for hot, and one for neutral, and that's it.

I decided to install my own grounding rod, and install three prong receptacles in about half of my house, after talking to one of my wife's relatives who works in the IT field. Basically I was getting electrical shocks from my desktop PC and a few other issues, and he advised that I needed to install a ground so that radio interference from my computer's power supply would not interfere with the CPU, and so that my body would not serve as a ground (thus receiving an electrical shock) every I touched the case of my PC. (I think that I posted something on this topic here in this forum a few years back. I was also getting shocks from my refrigerator, but that turned out to be a bad cord.)

Also, I decided to install grounded three prong receptacles in other areas of the house (for TV, Stereo, and so on) because after I took apart a Panther brand surge protector to see how it works, It seemed to me that the the surge protector wouldn't really be able to provide protection against a lightning strike unless the surge protector was plugged into a receptacle that was connected to an Earth ground.

Basically, that's the reason why I'm looking for this type of fitting with three prongs on it, instead of just two. Sorry for being so long winded.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey maxx

where you going to plug them in at? I am trying to figure out what you are doing. I don't understand why you don't buy surge protectors for the electronics.

art
I'll try to take a picture of it tomorrow. It's getting late, and if I start making too much noise moving things around, my wife is going to get upset. I'll take a picture tomorrow afternoon so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Hey Maxx

I think I know what you have done now. I was a building contractor here in the usa for 40 years. Yes you are correct how our wiring is done here. I know what you have done by putting a ground rod in to the ground. I thought the newer buildings there had the new 220 plug with the direct ground to it. If so you could have used their 3 prong wall plugs and used there male 3 prong. I might be wrong.

It would be interesting to see your wall plug.

art

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Can you possibly use a couple of the adapters that are 2 prong + a small grounding tab on the male side and universal(2 round prongs, flat bladed 2 prong, & 2 flat blade + round grounding prong) on the female side? They are readily available at most of the mom & pop stores. I use one of these adapters on my drill which has the 2 round prong male end on the cord when I use it with an extension cord and just ignore the grounding part. Just food for thought.

Fred

·
Super Moderator
3,605 Posts
Maxx I'm not very educated or skilled in electronics but when we installed our TV antenna the in-law electrician had the steel tube support mounted deep into the ground into concrete.

Do you have a D.I.Y. hardware store in your region? I couldn't find anything online but what about some sort of Japanese surplus store they have tools. attachments and misc equipment and also some junk shops.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Maxx

I think I know what you have done now. I was a building contractor here in the usa for 40 years. Yes you are correct how our wiring is done here. I know what you have done by putting a ground rod in to the ground. I thought the newer buildings there had the new 220 plug with the direct ground to it. If so you could have used their 3 prong wall plugs and used there male 3 prong. I might be wrong.

It would be interesting to see your wall plug.

art
Here is a picture showing the type of three prong receptacle I'm using in the front room and in one of my bedrooms. This particular receptacle is made by Panasonic, and its quality seems to be better than some of the cheaper brands.
Recept_a.JPG

Below is a picture of the typical two prong receptacles I have throughout the rest of my house. You can't really use a two-three prong adapter, because this type of receptacle doesn't have a center screw to go through the metal tab of the adapter.
Universal_Receptacle.jpg

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Can you possibly use a couple of the adapters that are 2 prong + a small grounding tab on the male side and universal(2 round prongs, flat bladed 2 prong, & 2 flat blade + round grounding prong) on the female side? They are readily available at most of the mom & pop stores. I use one of these adapters on my drill which has the 2 round prong male end on the cord when I use it with an extension cord and just ignore the grounding part. Just food for thought.

Fred
Here is a picture of where one of my three prong receptacle is located behind a huge wooden cabinet. This cabinet has our television sitting on top of it, along with all the porcelain figurines that my wife could get her hands upon. The problem is that I want to be able to easily unplug the cord from this receptacle when and if a lightning storm gets started. If you click on the below picture it should expand for better viewing.
Behind_Cabinet.jpg

The problem with the below type of adapter is that the receptacles don't have a center screw for the tab on the adapter, and also most of the single gang boxes used over here are made out of plastic, so even if you plug this type of an adapter into most receptacles, it still won't give you a ground. In my case I already have a grounded three prong receptacle installed buy I'm just trying to create a short extension cord so I can easily unplug the AVR from the receptacle located behind the cabinet.
Orange_Adapt.JPG

Just for the heck of it, below is a picture of one of my boxes before I installed my new three prong Panasonic receptacles. Previously I had stranded wire all throughout my house, but I've been in the process of replacing it with solid color coded 12 gauge wire.
Box_Wires_b.JPG

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Maxx I'm not very educated or skilled in electronics but when we installed our TV antenna the in-law electrician had the steel tube support mounted deep into the ground into concrete.

Do you have a D.I.Y. hardware store in your region? I couldn't find anything online but what about some sort of Japanese surplus store they have tools. attachments and misc equipment and also some junk shops.
I'm actually looking for an item similar to the one pictured below, but for some reason they don't seem to stock it at any of the hardware stores, and I even called Eagle Elect on the phone and went through their catalog with a rep on the phone, no dice. Anyway below is what I'm looking for.
Female_Three_Prong.jpg

I can find the below male version at just about any hardware store, but for some reason no one stocks the opposite of the below picture. I think that I got this one at Wilcon Depot.
Three_Prong_Plug_Male.JPG

Anyway, I'm just looking for the female end so that I can make my own extension cord so that I can quickly unplug TV without knocking over all of my wife's figurines. Looks like I may have to ask my son in California send me some at xmas time.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Why can't you buy a readily available multi point extension lead. Just be careful that the ground pin is connected as some aren't. Plug the extension lead in behind your cabinet then you will have 4 plus points to plug your appliances into.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Why can't you buy a readily available multi point extension lead. Just be careful that the ground pin is connected as some aren't. Plug the extension lead in behind your cabinet then you will have 4 plus points to plug your appliances into.
Mainly because I don't want someone to come along and plug something else into it. I want to keep this cord dedicated to the automatic voltage regulator feeding my TV, cable box, and DVD player. If I'm not around my wife or the helper might plug a big pedestal fan or the vacuum cleaner into it, instead of just plugging it in someplace else eight feet away. - Anyway I think I may have come up with a solution, but still working on it.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but below is a picture of the extension cord which I coddled together with parts from two or three different hardware stores. I went with 14/3 royal cord because I have a couple of different items plugged into the automatic voltage regulator which will in turn be plugged into the below extension cord. I know that it looks kinda clunky and ugly, like something from a Soviet tractor factory, but it will get the job done. Now I just have to wait for my wife to leave for a while so I can move her cabinet and install this thing. Actually I'm thinking to mount the metal box on the back of the wooden cabinet where it won't be so noticeable, but I can still unplug AVR in a hurry if I need to.
New_Cord_a.jpg

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Well, maybe I'm beating a dead horse here, but below is a picture of the extension cord which I coddled together with parts from two or three different hardware stores. I went with 14/3 royal cord because I have a couple of different items plugged into the automatic voltage regulator which will in turn be plugged into the below extension cord. I know that it looks kinda clunky and ugly, like something from a Soviet tractor factory, but it will get the job done. Now I just have to wait for my wife to leave for a while so I can move her cabinet and install this thing. Actually I'm thinking to mount the metal box on the back of the wooden cabinet where it won't be so noticeable, but I can still unplug AVR in a hurry if I need to.
View attachment 81226
From the photo it looks to me like what you are looking for is basically an air conditioner plug set. I would suggest looking at your closest junk shop and or air conditioner repair shop. I'd bet my bottom dollar you'll find what you're looking for. Just have to splice either male or female plug into your line.

Reactions: Maxx62

·
Registered
126 Posts
Why not just buy an UPS, like Art has suggested?

I currently have an APC with those all soft electricals connected to it. It even gives me some 20 min of power after a brownout?
Mind you, it clicks 100 times a day indicative of the power fluctuations ?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts