Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all... So after many many years of wanting to emigrate, spending time there in different cities and done a significant amount of research I have decided it's time to emigrate. I am 27 so think it's a perfect time for me to go... I know where I would like to move to but obviously finding the right job is vital...

I currently live in the UK and know that Cambridge, just outside London and Manchester way are Science "hubs" with many science lab related jobs there... My question is where are the majority of the science based jobs in Aus? Mainly biological labs and major research hospitals?

I know Melbourne is geared towards finance and IT so having some knowledge from you kind people would be so helpful.

Thanks ALOT
Kai

·
Registered
460 Posts
If you have a Phd then there are 3-4 institutes in Melbourne, 1 in Canberra, 4-5 in Sydney, a couple in Brisbane and Perth and maybe 1-2 in Adelaide and one in Darwin. CSIRO was a major employer but there has been a well published downsizing of their staff with many labs completelu disbanded.

Most of the "technical" jobs are either going to the PhD students or ones who have trained as technicians (not bachelor graduates). For those roles technical grads are highly preferred about masters or bachelor graduates as they are more QC orientated.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts