Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first post, and I really didn't find an appropritate place to post this (I am from US living in Rome, Italy, my case is unusual but it could happen anywhere I suppose..) so I decided to write here.
I have, on the record, been in a marriage to an English man since January 2000, which was registered in San Antonio, Texas USA, where I was a resident at that time. The marriage practically dissolved after less than a year, and I have not been in touch with my husband for over 12 years now. I have let the issue fall on the way side, however the time has arrived in which I'd better get the matter sorted once for all. I have no idea of whereabouts of my husband now, while there seem to be a possibility of having a divorce with a missing spouse, the Texas divorce law indicates I must be a current resident of Texas to file for it. So where I need to ask for a petition from Rome, Italy?? Is it at all possible to have the procedure done without physically travelling back to the US? Consulate was no help at all, does anyone have any advice? Thank you for any suggestion in advance...:confused2:

·
Registered
8 Posts
You have some complex situation there I have to say. To get the best possible answer I believe you need to talk to a lawyer. Try looking for free online or also paid online legal aid websites, where you can ask for help. You will have to wait for answer but you will get the professional one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed Sandra, it is a very peculiar case, I have written to the court house helpdesk back in San Antonio Texas, where my marriage is registered. Doubtful if they would accept my petition but they may have some advice where I should turn to, and I am still waiting for an answer. If that fails I will check with a few lawyers who deals with american affair here in Rome, or I might have to also contact a British lawyer and see how our "marriage" would be treated in the UK. thanks for your taking time to reply!!! Cheers

G

·
You couldnt file for divorce in the UK as you are not domiciled or resident there and you have no idea if he is.

You could search the UK records to see if he has already divorced you there if he went back there. https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

If you are resident in Italy why not just divorce there? Other countries would recognise a legal divorce from most countries.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My husband is an English Citizen who lived in West Yorkshire to my last knowledge, but upon checking there is no record of him still living in the same address. So if he did divorce me in the UK that would solve the problem? (which is possible as separation was his idea). Having a divorce in Italy would be even more far-fetched, it is already a complicated issue for its citizens, and for a marriage taken place abroad between two non Italians, I seriously doubt they would do anything!

G

·
Yes if he divorced you you are divorced. You just request a copy of the decree absolute to prove it which is accepted worldwide as proof.

From what I just read and only a small amount and briefly you can divorce in Italy if you are legally resident and have been officially separated for 3 years. As you are well past that is shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh brilliant, well I guess first to check is a divorce record in UK. I will look into it and also the procedure in Italy, thanx so much for your help Shel, cheers :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts