Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again. My fiancee and I are getting married in the UK on September the 8th and getting documents, etc. together to apply for the fiancee visa. I am currently living in the US working and not planning on arriving in the UK until two weeks before the wedding. My fiancee lives and works in the UK, but will be coming out to visit me for two weeks in June.

The main problem at the moment is that due to the rumors of a policy change on the maintenance requirement, we were trying to get the application done ASAP (since we will be depending on a co-sponsor) before the laws change but I am also worried about getting my fiancee's passport back in time for her travel to the US in June.

Questions:

When is the ideal time to apply for the fiancee visa in relation to when you plan to arrive and/or get married?

Must my fiancee's UK passport be included in the supporting documents?

Lastly, is there a current update on when/if the maintenance requirements will be changed this year?

Cheers,

Kendon

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
MaltedBarley said:
Hello again. My fiancee and I are getting married in the UK on September the 8th and getting documents, etc. together to apply for the fiancee visa. I am currently living in the US working and not planning on arriving in the UK until two weeks before the wedding. My fiancee lives and works in the UK, but will be coming out to visit me for two weeks in June.
You need to be in UK at least 22 days before your wedding (if it's a civil ceremony) to give notice in person.

The main problem at the moment is that due to the rumors of a policy change on the maintenance requirement, we were trying to get the application done ASAP (since we will be depending on a co-sponsor) before the laws change but I am also worried about getting my fiancee's passport back in time for her travel to the US in June.

Questions:

When is the ideal time to apply for the fiancee visa in relation to when you plan to arrive and/or get married?
Allow around two weeks for visa processing and you need time to book your flight and be in UK in good time to give notice etc. So I would say around 2-3 months before? Put your travel date as 3 weeks from when you apply.

Must my fiancee's UK passport be included in the supporting documents?
No. Just plain photocopy of bio pages.

Lastly, is there a current update on when/if the maintenance requirements will be changed this year?
None whatsoever. My guess is the change will be announced by summer with implementation from October but it's pure speculation on my part!

Cheers,

Kendon[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joppa, thanks so much again! So when the UKBA states that they want evidence of may partner's age, does that mean they want an original birth certificate too or is the photocopy of the bio page enough?

·
Registered
494 Posts
You need to be in UK at least 22 days before your wedding (if it's a civil ceremony) to give notice in person.
...unless you are marrying/registering a civil partnership in Scotland (or Northern Ireland), where you do not have to appear in person. You can do it via post, or (as we did) via email/'phone calls. You must do this at least 14 days before your intended ceremony date (as opposed to 15 days in England and Wales).

Also: you can register your notice to marry/register a civil partnership with any registration office in Scotland/Northern Ireland, as all registration offices there are 'designated offices' - whereas there are only 76 'designated offices' in the whole of England and Wales.

The other (big) difference is that a notice to marry/register a civil partnership is valid for 3 months in Scotland, as opposed to 12 months in England/Wales/Northern Ireland.

Full details here: UK Border Agency | How do you give notice to marry or register a civil partnership with a registrar?

teuchter

·
Registered
494 Posts
Joppa, thanks so much again! So when the UKBA states that they want evidence of may partner's age, does that mean they want an original birth certificate too or is the photocopy of the bio page enough?
A plain (black & white) photocopy of the bio page is sufficient, as UKBA have access to the Identity & Passport Service (IPS) database and can verify his age from that.

teuchter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.