Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Australian and my husband is French and we're living in France at the moment. We want to move back to Australia at the end of December 2014. The timing is important as he has to do a work placement for his Masters degree from January-July 2014. When should we make our application? I looked at the processing times and it says 5 months for French people applying from outside Australia - but it isn't clear if this is the total time between application date and entry to Australia or not. On other parts of the site it says that DIAC chooses the date that you enter the country, which is related to when you do your medical checks. Can anyone give me some advice on how long it took you to get a partner visa in Australia when applying from outside Australia? Btw we can't do the working holiday visa for the placement as he's already used it.

G

·
It will take between 5 and 12 months to grant from the point of applying. It will actually be about 7 months.

You then have 12 months from the date he completed his medicals and police checks to enter Australia. So depending when he does them it could be 5 months or 11 from grant that he must enter. It only has to be a short visit to ensure the visa is validated but you can just go straight after grant to live if you wish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Need Help When to apply for partner visa (309/100)

I got my PR-190 last year in July, and I entered into Australia on 19 of March-2015 just few days before to the deadline of arrival (21 March-2015). Now I am here in Sydney since few days

The moment I applied for 190 visa, I hadn’t included my family due to financial constraint, although I am married person and have two kids. After arriving here in Australia, it seems that I can’t stay longer without my family. So very soon I wanted to apply for partner visa (300/100) and sponsor my family.

I have gone through guidelines and procedure to apply, where the condition of “Usual Resident” for Sponsor made me confused. Therefore I visited to consultant to get clarification besides telling him the date of my arrival. He said “You can apply now for partner visa showing your compassionate relations with your family on the separate sheet, however to be usual resident you needs to stay at-least one year in Australia”

To double check the same, I went to office of Diac here in Sydney, querying the same question about “Usual Resident” and “am I eligible to apply for Sponsorship for my family? Their replied as

“To be Usual Resident requires to stay in Australia for two years, however if one has job or started his business, in others words well settled, he is a usual resident. But in your case since you arrived here just few days before, yet not settled down therefore a condition of usual resident applies.”

Then I said, getting a job certainly will take time or will I wait for two years to apply for family, because I have kids and wife very attached to me and I am very passionate about my family, then they said

“You may apply for partner visa showing your compelling reasoning, but I will not comment on the successfulness of application, all this has to decide the “Case Officer” or “Assessor” of your application.”

Now I need final voice either to put on stake the huge amount of fee around Aus $ 7000/- and take a risk to apply or to wait for time till the job is acquired. If there is any similar test case who has got visa please let me know to decide please.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I would certainly recommend securing a job first and then applying the for the same.

Reactions: Faris_ksa

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks Team Ranger for advice,,, Certainly i will have to wait till job is secured,,, but it is too painful. I really wonder that why Diac has such rule which applies on sponsor of his family????

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thanks Team Ranger for advice,,, Certainly i will have to wait till job is secured,,, but it is too painful. I really wonder that why Diac has such rule which applies on sponsor of his family????
I totally feel that. I have to leave my family too when I first make the move, but knowing that eventually we will unite is reassuring.

P.S. Case in hand this is the very reason almost all in this forum advice to apply for family as well while submitting the application.

Reactions: Ameet Kumar
1 - 6 of 6 Posts