Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(This question might have been asked a lot of times in this forum, if so then please point me to the right thread) :)

I have got my PR, I'm an IT professional, decided to take the plunge and moving to Sydney on August 2015. Now, I have seen many people say that its very rare that someone can get a job while being offshore and they do have valid points explaining "why" as well. My question is now that I have decided to move to Oz without a job -

Is it still OK that I start applying while in India? coz I still have two months time. I know this cannot be answered with a definite yes/no and it depends on many things, can anyone share their strategy that worked for them? :confused: I was thinking of highlighting the fact that I would be arriving on a particular date (in my job portal profile and while mailing the recruiters).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
832 Posts
(This question might have been asked a lot of times in this forum, if so then please point me to the right thread) :)

I have got my PR, I'm an IT professional, decided to take the plunge and moving to Sydney on August 2015. Now, I have seen many people say that its very rare that someone can get a job while being offshore and they do have valid points explaining "why" as well. My question is now that I have decided to move to Oz without a job -

Is it still OK that I start applying while in India? coz I still have two months time. I know this cannot be answered with a definite yes/no and it depends on many things, can anyone share their strategy that worked for them? :confused:

Thanks in advance!
Try doing this:-

Initially, apply using your Indian number on your CV, and an alternate email id (different from your primary id). Mention that you have got PR, but don't mention your grant number or passport number anywhere. This is just to test the waters, and see how many calls/emails you get. If something works out, it's well and good. Otherwise, no harm done because the recruiters can't track you (since you have not mentioned you unique Visa and passport numbers on your CV).

Once you land in Australia, update your CV with your primary email id and local Australian number. Also mention your Visa grant number, to increase recruiters' faith in you. Then start applying again, and keep your fingers crossed!

Reactions: r_saraj

·
Registered
208 Posts

Is it still OK that I start applying while in India? coz I still have two months time. I know this cannot be answered with a definite yes/no and it depends on many things, can anyone share their strategy that worked for them? :confused:

Thanks in advance!
Something which has worked in my case in having a skype interview scheduled.
I have worked as a developer in Big Investment bank and then in a Financial Product based firm.

I knew of a competitor ( based out of Australia ) who was trying to make a product similar to us but for a different market, I had heard the competitor company name while i was working with my firm and I sent them the resume just for the sake of discern.

Had three skype interviews but they said the final needs my presence in Melbourne and the job involved me to travel to Bristol for considerable time and I was looking forward to OZ (Perth) just to be with my wife. :)

Try to to find your niche area in your current role, I know of CBA hiring one of my seniors two months back as he was from some mainframe role . And if you are lucky enough or know the firms using these you might get the call as there is the requirement for those.

But if the skill is more generic then you need to be there as for obvious reasons.

Ok this is sake of acing the job while sitting here in India, funkyzoom advice for testing water holds good to figure out how your CV stands.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I'd suggest providing your current contact details on your CV but make it very clear that you already have a PR visa and that you will be migrating to Australia on XXXX date. When reviewing candidates from overseas, if I know they'll be here and legally able to work in a reasonable amount of time, I'll consider them the same as I would a local candidate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies!
@BngToPerth - Thanks for sharing your experience, I had not thought like that before :)

@Maggie - I have started doing that, hoping to get more response as the days of my arrival gets closer.

@funkyzoom - Good suggestion! I had not thought about including my visa grant details, now will probably include it once I'm applying from Australia

·
Registered
146 Posts

Is it still OK that I start applying while in India? coz I still have two months time. I know this cannot be answered with a definite yes/no and it depends on many things, can anyone share their strategy that worked for them? :confused: I was thinking of highlighting the fact that I would be arriving on a particular date (in my job portal profile and while mailing the recruiters).

Thanks in advance!
First of all congratulations on getting your PR. When did you apply n then got the grant? Which field you're in?

Regarding the job search from India, i'd like to mention some of my experience.

I belong to an IT network field and thought to test the IT market, even before i thought to apply for visa. I started applying jobs on seek and got some emails stating that they liked my profile but can't go ahead because i didn't have PR. They infact advised me to apply PR and then contact back. One of them was a direct client It is because of these assurance that i went ahead for visa process.
Also there are few offshore friends who told me that the initial months can be struggling but if i work hard n smart then the relevant job can be secured soon.

Good luck

Hiraman

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks for all the replies!
@BngToPerth - Thanks for sharing your experience, I had not thought like that before :)

@Maggie - I have started doing that, hoping to get more response as the days of my arrival gets closer.

@funkyzoom - Good suggestion! I had not thought about including my visa grant details, now will probably include it once I'm applying from Australia
You're most welcome! Just doing my bit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts