Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Good evening. I have a few questions related to signing of tenancy agreement.

1. We viewed a place we like but the house has yet to be repainted and cleaned. We also observed a potential leakage on the AC pipe where the rubber insulations are coming off.

The agent has told us the landlord will have all the maintenance repairs to be done.

Should we insist that all the repairs are done, before we sign on the tenancy agreement? Is it a reasonable practice in Dubai to only sign after all maintenance issues are fixed and painting done?

My concern is that after we sign and cheques are given, they will not want to fix anything.

2. My potential landlord has a company acting for them as POA, and I saw the authorization letter from the landlord to the representative of the company.

My agent who I contacted though, has no authorization letter from the landlord to him stating that he is the representing agent. I kind of expected that to happen since landlords would engage several agents sometimes to look for tenants.

TO be safe, as long as my cheque is written to the landlord, there should be no cases of potential fraud or the agent running away with the money?

Did I miss out anything?

3. Without signing a tenancy agreement, we wouldn't be able to activiate Ejari and DEWA, how would we know if the air con was working in the first place?

Really appreciate advice from the experienced forummers here, thank you!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Hi all,

Good evening. I have a few questions related to signing of tenancy agreement.

1. We viewed a place we like but the house has yet to be repainted and cleaned. We also observed a potential leakage on the AC pipe where the rubber insulations are coming off.

The agent has told us the landlord will have all the maintenance repairs to be done.

Should we insist that all the repairs are done, before we sign on the tenancy agreement? Is it a reasonable practice in Dubai to only sign after all maintenance issues are fixed and painting done?

My concern is that after we sign and cheques are given, they will not want to fix anything.

2. My potential landlord has a company acting for them as POA, and I saw the authorization letter from the landlord to the representative of the company.

My agent who I contacted though, has no authorization letter from the landlord to him stating that he is the representing agent. I kind of expected that to happen since landlords would engage several agents sometimes to look for tenants.

TO be safe, as long as my cheque is written to the landlord, there should be no cases of potential fraud or the agent running away with the money?

Did I miss out anything?

3. Without signing a tenancy agreement, we wouldn't be able to activiate Ejari and DEWA, how would we know if the air con was working in the first place?

Really appreciate advice from the experienced forummers here, thank you!
When I moved in April there were a few minor issues with the property these were recorded by the agent and there was an addendum added to the contract that these would all be fixed which was signed by the landlord.

At the time we had a pretty good choice of properties and I just avoided anything where the landlord hadn't bothered to put the property in decent order.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
The very best way to ensure that things get fixed is to tell the agent that you won't pay them their commission until the repairs are done!
If they object to this - then there is a chance that things were never going to be repaired properly.
There is no excuse for things not to be done properly before you move in.
If you get any resistance - threaten to or actually walk away and find another place.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi all,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I understand usually the property take about 3 to 4 days to patch the maintenance issues and repainting.

Is it reasonable to tell the landlord and agent to first send me a draft contract. While I am reviewing the draft contract over the course of 3 to 4 days, they can fix the maintenance issues (which they have to anyways regardless who they rent to eventually) and only insist I sign the contract after I have checked all the issues are fixed?

The place I am staying, the previous occupiers have just moved out about 2 weeks ago.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi all,

Thank you for the prompt response.

I understand usually the property take about 3 to 4 days to patch the maintenance issues and repainting.

Is it reasonable to tell the landlord and agent to first send me a draft contract. While I am reviewing the draft contract over the course of 3 to 4 days, they can fix the maintenance issues (which they have to anyways regardless who they rent to eventually) and only insist I sign the contract after I have checked all the issues are fixed?

The place I am staying, the previous occupiers have just moved out about 2 weeks ago.
Hi,
Yes - that's a good plan!
But - still don't pay the agents commission until you are happy with the place.
You will be amazed at the promises they will make and the pressure they will put you under to pay them their commission.
Don't relent!
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
To answer your other questions:
- should be fairly safe if the cheques are in the landlord's name
- check the agent's RERA registration number and the agency's registration number on the RERA website. If they are registered, and if the advertisement has a Trakheesi permit (which it should) then you should be covered from fraud (hopefully) as the agencies have to provide certain bank guarantees to the regulator, and are supposed to check against such fraud
- Unfortunately yes, you do need to get the DEWA activated to check the AC (and any plumbing issues etc). However, the contract obliges (theoretically) the landlord to provide a habitable place so in case there are issues they should rectify it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts