Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought this would be such an issue. I have to decide if I am a "resident" to proceed with drivers license, being added to my UK husband's bank account, taxes, moving my voter packets to here, getting car insurance etc. I entered the country on a spouse visa with a bio card that says "Residence Permit," about three weeks ago. I plan to leave every 5 months or so to spend a month with my youngish adult children in the US every year. I am struggling to put a date on when I became/become a legal resident. Does it begin the first time I enter with the card? ....at day 153 with the card?....at day 153 of any calendar year?...does time begin every time I come back from the US (in which case the 153 will never be met)?

So confused!

·
Super Moderator
5,183 Posts
I'd just put down the date of your arrival 3 weeks ago.

For short trips back to California to see your kids, they're not too bothered about it (because you're only going for a few weeks... if it were months that you were planning on being away, that's another story), as you intend to return and make the UK your home for the foreseeable future.

But yes, for the purposes for which you require (establishing your uptake of being here for immigration purposes, official ID etc), your residence began on the date that you arrived last month.

Reactions: Sierramom
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.