Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the U.S., waiting for my British husband (now in Scotland) to find employment. We've been married nearly 12 years. My question is:

After he finds employment, when can I apply for the marriage visa? Will his pay stubs be sufficient to prove his annual income or will he need the minimum required amount in his bank account for three months before I apply?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I am in the U.S., waiting for my British husband (now in Scotland) to find employment. We've been married nearly 12 years. My question is:

After he finds employment, when can I apply for the marriage visa? Will his pay stubs be sufficient to prove his annual income or will he need the minimum required amount in his bank account for three months before I apply?

Thanks.
Have you looked at the UKBA site for the information they are looking for as regards a spouse visa?

I ask this because you may be able to apply now for the visa. It depends on savings amount, yours and his qualifications (as to ability to find work in the UK), and several other factors, but the only way you would be able to figure that out would be by carefully reading all of the available information regarding submitting a substantive visa application.

The following link takes you to the beginning pages at the UKBA site. You will need to spend several hours looking for the info you need, I suggest bookmarking, and I also suggest taking notes into a notebook as you read online so that you can find your way back to the pages that are relevant to your unique situation.

I also suggest printing out some of the pages to read as hard copy so that you can make notes right there on the paper-highlighter pens are your friend, and LOL, my last and probably best tip is to read the more confusing parts out loud. For some reason that helps! The UKBA site is very confusing at first (ok, beyond at first:)) and notes+reading aloud help clarify some of the more confusing parts.

UK Border Agency | Partners and families

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your reply. I have been scouring through the UKBA site for years. It is vague on some issues and I ran across what seems to be a contradiction.

I also called Worldbridge, which was a waste of time. The billing is not supposed to begin until I begin talking to an agent. However, it started as soon as I was put on hold. When an agent finally answered, he asked me many questions first, which went on for approximately 7 minutes. I finally asked if I could ask my question now. As soon as I asked, the agent said that we did not have a good phone connection. I found it hard to believe that he could hear me while taking down all my information but claiming not to hear my question. I applied for a refund which was granted.

My husband does have a great resume and he is an absolute genius. He is looking for any type of work, though. Please, if you know of anything open, especially around Aberdeen, would you please let me know?

Last May I tried to join him without a marriage visa. I was led to believe that since our marriage was now registered in the UK, that I wouldn't need a marriage visa. I was not treated well at Heathrow and deported five hours after arriving.

I want to be absolutely sure that we have it right this time. It's just very difficult to get all the details. If anyone can help my husband find work, please let me know. (Is it against the rules to post my email address here?)

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Thank you very much for your reply. I have been scouring through the UKBA site for years. It is vague on some issues and I ran across what seems to be a contradiction.

I also called Worldbridge, which was a waste of time. The billing is not supposed to begin until I begin talking to an agent. However, it started as soon as I was put on hold. When an agent finally answered, he asked me many questions first, which went on for approximately 7 minutes. I finally asked if I could ask my question now. As soon as I asked, the agent said that we did not have a good phone connection. I found it hard to believe that he could hear me while taking down all my information but claiming not to hear my question. I applied for a refund which was granted.

My husband does have a great resume and he is an absolute genius. He is looking for any type of work, though. Please, if you know of anything open, especially around Aberdeen, would you please let me know?

Last May I tried to join him without a marriage visa. I was led to believe that since our marriage was now registered in the UK, that I wouldn't need a marriage visa. I was not treated well at Heathrow and deported five hours after arriving.

I want to be absolutely sure that we have it right this time. It's just very difficult to get all the details. If anyone can help my husband find work, please let me know. (Is it against the rules to post my email address here?)
Oh dear. This will be a negative factor in your future visa applications. While it shouldn't mean automatic refusal, your application will certainly receive extra scrutiny and may take a lot longer to process than average, which is currently 12 days. You must disclose your denied entry. Not mentioning and then being found out (you will, as they will check their immigration database) means almost 100% chance of a refusal on the ground of witholding material facts and dishonesty.
When disclosing denied entry, take full responsibility for your action, and state that you have learnt your lesson and it won't happen again and you now want to move on.

A definite job and money actually coming in is a lot better than a prospect of one, so it may be best to wait until a job is found. Remember that visa rules are set to change and maintenance requirement is supposed to rise substantially over the summer months, though no official announcemnet has yet been made.

Please don't put personal email here. If you do, it will be deleted by a MOD. But after a few more posts, you can send and receive personal messages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh dear. This will be a negative factor in your future visa applications. While it shouldn't mean automatic refusal, your application will certainly receive extra scrutiny and may take a lot longer to process than average, which is currently 12 days. You must disclose your denied entry. Not mentioning and then being found out (you will, as they will check their immigration database) means almost 100% chance of a refusal on the ground of witholding material facts and dishonesty.
When disclosing denied entry, take full responsibility for your action, and state that you have learnt your lesson and it won't happen again and you now want to move on.

A definite job and money actually coming in is a lot better than a prospect of one, so it may be best to wait until a job is found. Remember that visa rules are set to change and maintenance requirement is supposed to rise substantially over the summer months, though no official announcemnet has yet been made.
There is no way I would even consider omitting the fact that I was deported. I always do everything on the up & up, never hiding anything. In fact, I would have been admitted in to the UK if I hadn't stated that I was there to join my husband, when asked how long I intended to stay. I was honest. I was not trying to sneak in illegally. I just didn't understand the requirements.

I know there will likely be a delay because of what happened. That's why I want to be very careful, making sure that I completely understand how to do this. I can't afford to spend the money on an application that will be rejected.

But, my husband is having a difficult time finding employment. I need to know how much money he needs in his checking account once he is employed. If he has a very low balance in the account, but also has income which meets the minimum required earnings, will this be sufficient?

Again, I've searched the UKBA site trying to pinpoint this, but it is vague.

I would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Julie

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
There is no way I would even consider omitting the fact that I was deported. I always do everything on the up & up, never hiding anything. In fact, I would have been admitted in to the UK if I hadn't stated that I was there to join my husband, when asked how long I intended to stay. I was honest. I was not trying to sneak in illegally. I just didn't understand the requirements.
But that would have been lying. As they say, the ignorance of the law (rule) isn't an excuse, and you were correctly denied entry and sent home.

I know there will likely be a delay because of what happened. That's why I want to be very careful, making sure that I completely understand how to do this. I can't afford to spend the money on an application that will be rejected.

But, my husband is having a difficult time finding employment. I need to know how much money he needs in his checking account once he is employed. If he has a very low balance in the account, but also has income which meets the minimum required earnings, will this be sufficient?

Again, I've searched the UKBA site trying to pinpoint this, but it is vague.
Current requirement is quite modest. If you have no dependants, he only needs £110.45 per week left over in cash after paying for housing and council tax, which usually translates to an annual pre-tax income of around £13,800 to £14,000. Alternative is to have savings equivalent to it, which is £7000 for every 6 months.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But that would have been lying. As they say, the ignorance of the law (rule) isn't an excuse, and you were correctly denied entry and sent home.

Current requirement is quite modest. If you have no dependants, he only needs £110.45 per week left over in cash after paying for housing and council tax, which usually translates to an annual pre-tax income of around £13,800 to £14,000. Alternative is to have savings equivalent to it, which is £7000 for every 6 months.
Thank you! I knew what the minimum required income was, but I didn't know that he needed 110.45 per week left over in cash.

Is there a certain balance necessary for the checking account?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, I am a person of high moral standards. I just don't lie, no matter what the cost. I was totally honest. I know ignorance is not an excuse, though. I wasn't complaining. I was just explaining my situation. I made a mistake out of ignorance, but in no way was I trying to come in illegally.

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Right, I am a person of high moral standards. I just don't lie, no matter what the cost. I was totally honest. I know ignorance is not an excuse, though. I wasn't complaining. I was just explaining my situation. I made a mistake out of ignorance, but in no way was I trying to come in illegally.
I know. There was no deceipt or criminal intent. We all make mistakes and break the rule unwittingly. So you need to acknowledge your mistake/oversight and you have learnt the lesson - to find out what the rules are and stick to them.

In your next application, attach a note describing briefly the circumstances of your denial, that you arrived in London without a spouse visa intending to live with your husband, for which you were denied entry and sent back (not deported as you hadn't entered UK). Then add you realise your mistake and take full responsibility for it. That you now wish to move on and are applying for the correct visa to be able to live with your husband in UK. That's all. This will usually do the trick and draw a line under that incident.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. There was no deceipt or criminal intent. We all make mistakes and break the rule unwittingly. So you need to acknowledge your mistake/oversight and you have learnt the lesson - to find out what the rules are and stick to them.

In your next application, attach a note describing briefly the circumstances of your denial, that you arrived in London without a spouse visa intending to live with your husband, for which you were denied entry and sent back (not deported as you hadn't entered UK). Then add you realise your mistake and take full responsibility for it. That you now wish to move on and are applying for the correct visa to be able to live with your husband in UK. That's all. This will usually do the trick and draw a line under that incident.
Great advice! I will explain this in my application! Thank you for helping me think this through.

About the minimum income requirements, though...I need to find out if my husband's paystubs will be sufficient to prove income if it's a new job. And, how many paystubs will be required. If he has one or two paystubs and a letter of employment, will that be sufficient?

Does anyone know this?

·
Registered
39,154 Posts
Great advice! I will explain this in my application! Thank you for helping me think this through.

About the minimum income requirements, though...I need to find out if my husband's paystubs will be sufficient to prove income if it's a new job. And, how many paystubs will be required. If he has one or two paystubs and a letter of employment, will that be sufficient?

Does anyone know this?
In the circumstances that's all you can do and should be enough, if you explain briefly how long he has been in the current job. You have to state that on the application in any case.

·
Super Moderator
18,094 Posts

It's actually £111.45/ week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.