Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husbands occupation (fire fighter) is on the skilled list but we have been told that no states/territories are sponsoring fire fighters at the moment. Can someone tell me when this gets updated? Or direct me to where I can find out? I'm worried we will miss out.

Thank you

·
Registered
110 Posts
He is eligible in WA western australia and also South Australia with job code of 441212.. This comes under CSOL list.
You can use this website for skillset search https://www.anzscosearch.com/

ACCESS LISTAccess list - SA Government website LAST LIST UPDATE: 28/05/2015
List Explanation Additional Requirements
Supplementary Skilled List Occupations only available if you meet the additional requirements listed here Competent English
This occupation is in the Supplementary Skilled List
The Supplementary Skilled List reflects all occupations available on the Commonwealth’s Consolidated Sponsored Occupations List (CSOL) that are not available on South Australia's State Occupation List. These occupations are only available if you meet the additional requirements listed here.
Western Australia (Perth)
ACCESS LISTAccess list - WA Government website LAST LIST UPDATE: 17/11/2014
Status Explanation Schedule
Available Occupation is available for nomination Schedule 2: only a limited number of nominations are available for applicants with schedule 2 occupations on the WASMOL.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for taking the time to reply. We had contacted about 3 migration companies but they all said no states are sponsoring that occupation at the moment? I've pasted their response below:

"Thank you for your enquiry about a skilled visa for Australia.

You have selected Fire Fighter which is on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL).

Any skilled visa application that nominates an occupation on the CSOL must be sponsored by an Australian State or Territory Government. At the moment there are no States or Territories offering sponsorship for your nominated occupation and therefore you are not eligible to lodge a skilled visa application at this time.

Your best option is to try and obtain an employer sponsored 457 visa"

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to reply. We had contacted about 3 migration companies but they all said no states are sponsoring that occupation at the moment? I've pasted their response below:

"Thank you for your enquiry about a skilled visa for Australia.

You have selected Fire Fighter which is on the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List (CSOL).

Any skilled visa application that nominates an occupation on the CSOL must be sponsored by an Australian State or Territory Government. At the moment there are no States or Territories offering sponsorship for your nominated occupation and therefore you are not eligible to lodge a skilled visa application at this time.

Your best option is to try and obtain an employer sponsored 457 visa"
Your agent is correct. The states the other person mentioned - WA and SA - that have fire fighters on their lists have additional requirements.

WA - fire fighters are a Schedule 2 occupation which requires a job offer

SA - fire fighters are on the Supplementary Skilled List, for which state sponsorship can only be given to international graduates from South Australia, applicants currently working in SA or applicants with immediate family members in SA.

The occupation lists are updated regularly but it's unlikely that fire fighters will be added to the standard lists in the future. As your agent suggests, the best option is to try for an employer sponsored 457 visa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate the clarification. We have contacted the fire rescue service in most of the states and unfortunately none of them sponsor candidates, you must be a resident to apply, so it's a catch 22 situation :worried:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Unfortunately not everyone is able to qualify for a visa based on their occupation. States set the criteria based on the needs in the state, and for occupations in low demand they will often put in additional criteria that basically help people who already live and/or work there but make it next to impossible for overseas applicants.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts