Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was told I can't use a connecting flight -- which I've always used, so I'm a bit at a loss here as I can't find any that go from my area straight to UK.

I always fly from my original location; it lands in Dublin as a connecting flight and then goes to Scotland. I was told I can't do this again for when I move as it wont allow my visa.

What should I do?
I've been searching places like United and Delta but no pop ups :(

So to the people who got their fiance/spouse visas, what did you use?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But any ideas where I can find one though?

Just wondering as I have been searching and nothing coming up. I did find one the other day but I seem to have lost the details. I don't need a real flight, just need an idea so I'm searching airlines to see who does direct flights to Scotland, specifically Edinburgh.

I wonder about BA.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye I don't expect a direct one. Thanks for the tip about Kayak.
I've been looking for non-direct - but they are like $2000 for one way, which is strange because I'm looking at a return for $800. It just seems like a rip off haha.

It's so strange haha.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
If you are trying to book summer flights, they are all very expensive at peak travel times.

·
Registered
29 Posts
When I've flown to edinburgh I fly florida to New Jersey to Edinburgh on United. I usually book with Expedia or Travelocity but have been double and triple checking everywhere as prices are so expensive right now! (I'm looking at $1200 for mine, then another $1200 for my 10month old daughter when/if visa is approved..).
I believe we can have a connecting flight, it just can't be through dublin as theyre are part of that fly zone where we won't get our passport stamped once we land in the UK. You could do France or Italy or even Heathrow as a connecting?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Alternatively, you can fly to Dublin, but then fly to France etc by Ryanair or Aer Lingus before connecting to Edinburgh or Glasgow. You can often fly quite cheaply, like £50 a sector., plus luggage charge.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,963 Posts
Hi,
Don't forget to look at return flights - as these are often much cheaper than one-way flights
Just don't use the return leg!
Cheers
Steve

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Hi,
Don't forget to look at return flights - as these are often much cheaper than one-way flights
Just don't use the return leg!
Cheers
Steve
^^^ This.

While there may be a restriction on the conditions of your inbound flight (i.e. no stop over allowed before you arrive), there's no restriction on whether or not you have a one-way or return ticket.

When I first moved to the UK, I came on a return ticket, as it was significantly cheaper than a one-way fare and once I arrived/executed my Fiancée Visa and got married and my FLR(M) approved, I abandoned the return portion of the ticket.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm searching in the Autumn.
To be honest, I was looking at single trips, like two different tickets, one from my home state to north carolina and then that drops me off in jfk for (100$), from there there is a trip that will go from there to edinburgh for about $500 a few hours later; I'd just have to be there early enough to catch the flight.

I think it's possible.
A scary idea, but a lot cheaper so far than buying $1800 for the trip together on it's own! Eep. Ridiculous. I know the rules of buying single tickets and the fears, but it's so far an OK idea with me. May change later when I'm actually purchasing though.

Reactions: Court287

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
How long is the layover between the CLT-JFK portion of your trip and the JFK-EDI portion?

If it's at least 2 hours, then I think that you should be o.k.

You should also keep in mind that Autumn is the height of the hurricane season in the Carribean Basin, and while I know that North Carolina is nowhere near where most of the activity takes place (think Cuba, Jamaica, Haiti etc), the general Georgia/N.C./S.C. area does get affected by the weather of the passing storms, so if you can ensure that the layover in New York is of significant enough length (I'd say anything longer than 1.5 hours or more), you should be good to go as far as the final leg of your journey goes... it'd be better to over compensate (i.e. be stuck at JFK for the entire wait) than to press your luck and cut it as close as possible between flights only to miss the connection through no fault of your own... on my first trip back from London to Vancouver, the plane took off on time but hit some turbulence over Scotland which delayed our arrival in Toronto, which in turn resulted in my missing my connecting flight home... I was flying Air Canada all the way, but the turbulence delay didn't stop the Toronto-Vancouver flight from leaving without me. I got home the next morning on standby... the fact that I was upgraded to Business Class was a pleasant surprise (because the guy whose Economy class seat I was supposed to take didn't understand English that well and refused to move).

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
It's almost always cheaper to buy a round trip ticket than one way, then just don't use the return ticket.

Just make sure when you search for the return flight to pick the absolute cheapest time of year for the return, it will make your ticket cheaper over all. I arrived in March and I have a return ticket for next October.

Also, United told me I could cancel my return flight and I would receive some credit towards a rebooking if used within a year of my original flight. It won't be much after the rebooking fee, but a couple of hundred dollars in my credit is better than nothing if I should need to fly again with United before next March.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Salix it's just that most places for returns go to Heathrow and I don't really want to do that again. Too much hassle.

Also, WCCG, yes I'd rather be sat there for hours than get left there! Eep.
I don't think I'd have a problem though. The one I saw arrived 3 hours before the other flight took off, (2 hours recommended for international flights too) and that'd give me an hour extra to run through and put my bag away in their holding area etc.,

For some reason the first flight to NYC is like $800 if I flew just there, and its not even an hour flight, while flying to NC and then JFK costs only $100

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.