Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Visas arrived via FedEx today, woo-hoo! Making final travel plans and arrangements now.

I have one nagging question, which I have not been able to resolve, and would like your input for the simple solution, if there is one. Regarding blu-ray players and discs, my wife and I would like to bring and watch some of our discs, blu-ray and dvd. I originally thought I might be able to bring our blu-ray player with us and connect it to a television, but I get the impression that will not work. Are there stores in France - we'll be in Montpellier - where I can buy a zone-free (or all-zone) blu-ray player for less than a king's ransom? We're staying in a place that does not allow us to receive mail; I don't know about receiving packages, so I don't know if mail order is an option.

I don't want to invest in a lot of transformers or other equipment. I just want a simple and inexpensive solution, if one exists. All help appreciated.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I watch my US blu-rays on my son's PS3 (US original working 110-240v)
they don't run on my french blu-ray player.

until someone answers your question, consider checking the transformer solution... it should be easy if the player doesn't consume much power, other than that it will be very complicated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Three suggestions:
1. Check your current player to see if it is multi-voltage. If it is then you would need only an adapter for the wall plug rather than a transformer.

2. Check on Amazon while you're still in the US if you can buy a multi-voltage, multi-zone player there and then bring that with you.

3. We bought a multi-zone blu-ray player here from amazon.fr for around 200 euros and had it delivered to the tabac at the end of our street.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We're staying in a place that does not allow us to receive mail;
BTW, the OFII (immigration office) mails you a paper letter via the postal service to give you the details of your appointment where you will receive your titre de sejour. The house we rented the first year we lived here did not have a mailbox but the landlord installed one for us after he understood that we would need to be able to receive mail.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Amazon US has them for considerably less. The unit is very small, would be easy to pack. I like that it instantly recognizes the disc, no need to program. I like to watch some European and UK programs on disc that are not available streaming.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts