Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in the limestone coast it was meant to cool down to around 26 degs C but it's already gone past that according to local radio.

Last night was hot and I heard the wind pick up so I thought I'd go into the lounge and open the balcony door - thinking it would have cooled down. The wind was hot! :(

I'm hiding downstairs which is the coolest part of the house since we don't have air con and drinking lots of water.

What other ways do people use to keep cool?

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here in the limestone coast it was meant to cool down to around 26 degs C but it's already gone past that according to local radio.

Last night was hot and I heard the wind pick up so I thought I'd go into the lounge and open the balcony door - thinking it would have cooled down. The wind was hot! :(

I'm hiding downstairs which is the coolest part of the house since we don't have air con and drinking lots of water.

Regards,
Karen
Hi Karen, Sorry i can't help you with that because were not there yet, but hey that sounds unbearable and i hope someone gives you the answer you need. I have a friend in Brisbane who told me it was 38 deg C the other day. Were heading there and when you are in gale force winds and mild temps its kind of hard to believe you are going to be living there. I will be reading the posts and getting tipps..ellisa:eek:

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
At the moment we only have aircon upstairs. Most of the day I'm at my computer so I've got an upright fan right by the side of me - it does help.

Dolly

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi:

1. Take more showers (about one every 3 hours, lukewarm to cool)
2. Keep the Windows closed from morning. I know this is counterintuitive, but does work. Even on 35C days in Sydney the inside of my place does not get above 26C (no aircon, just fans).
3. Chilled Fruit, Icy Poles, Lemonade

I'm in the best part of SYD to be on a scorcher (the coast) and these do work fine :)

Here in the limestone coast it was meant to cool down to around 26 degs C but it's already gone past that according to l radio.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2. Keep the Windows closed from morning. I know this is counterintuitive, but does work. Even on 35C days in Sydney the inside of my place does not get above 26C (no aircon, just fans).
We keep the windows closed but we have enormous windows without any blinds so the temp inside goes to about 30 deg C or above. We have windows on 3 sides on the main room (North facing) so we get the sun all day. I am trying to persuade my husband that we really need blinds on the big window but it's an unusual shape (not a flat window). However I think it'll be worth it to keep the temperature down.

Although we are not on the coast do tend to get a breeze in the afternoons - if it's from the coast then it's cool but if it's from the centre (like last night) then it's hot!

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would say the best way to cope with the heat is to keep hydrated and stay out of the sun, which seems kind of obvious but there's always lots of tourists, expats on the news that pass out in sun from exhaustion at the beach! so please be careful, it's not the same sun here as it is in Europe or the US.

On a hot day it's best to always keep the doors, windows and blinds closed, the wind only ever cools down if there's a southerly change in the evening but sometimes they don't happen till night time.

One thing we always did was put a cold towel on our heads when it's mega hot and you feel a bit woozy to avoid heatstroke. Also avoid alcohol and going outside until the evening.

Stay out of the sun from 10-3 ish those are the worst times..

Keep drinking water, wear hats and stay inside.. always got told this at school and have always avoided heat stroke..

welcome to Australia .. :D

the summer looks hot, today where i am- northern suburbs near the beaches it's currently 38C! i don't want to go home as i don't have aircon at home and the office is nice and cool:tongue1:

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Definitely need the blinds otherwise you get a greenhouse happening.

Drapes work fine too, the main thing is to keep the greenhouse thing from happening. I guess in a pinch a couple of big towels would work too if hung on top.

We keep the windows closed but we have enormous windows without any blinds so the temp inside goes to about 30 deg C or above. We have windows on 3 sides on the main room (North facing) so we get the sun all day. I am trying to persuade my husband that we really need blinds on the big window but it's an unusual shape (not a flat window). However I think it'll be worth it to keep the temperature down.

Although we are not on the coast do tend to get a breeze in the afternoons - if it's from the coast then it's cool but if it's from the centre (like last night) then it's hot!

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
what I do is i buy chart papers (the one kids use to make posters or maybe newspaper and tape it on the window glass. I have curtains for every window so the paper doesnt show. the blinds somehow never work but i did the chart paper this summer and my place was not as bad. u can also have reflectors on the window pane but trust me paper is better thn curtains. another thing u can do is have roller chicks/blinds from teh outside of the window incase u cant have them inside.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely need the blinds otherwise you get a greenhouse happening.

Drapes work fine too, the main thing is to keep the greenhouse thing from happening. I guess in a pinch a couple of big towels would work too if hung on top.
Yep I have dark blue sheets up there at the moment :)

·
Registered
246 Posts
It depends if it is a dry heat, or humid heat.

For humid heat I like to keep a thin layer of clothing all over my body (like very light cotton long sleeved shirts and knee length shorts) because I hate my sticky skin touching, especially under arms. I also like to sit up the back yard under the shade of the tree with my dog and suck on icy-poles. When inside I keep the fan on me, love it!

In dry heat, I wear as little clothing as possible and I don't use a fan because it just blows more hot air on me, so air con is the best.

I love swimming in all kinds of heat. I also wet some face washers, roll them up in a freezer bag and keep them in the fridge. Feels so good to wipe down my face (and feet)! Very cool and refreshing.

BUT, during heatwaves, I just collapse in a heap and move as little as possible.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hi,

Buying a canopy to shade your windows does help, paiting the house light colours (white) to reflect the heat rather than absorb it does help (technique used in many cultures).
And loft and wall insulation does help to keep the cool air in rather than loose it too fast.

Good luck!!!

Cheers, Busyte

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hey Karen,

We just finished summers here. The temp in middleast goes beyond 48 degrees every summer. air conditioners are more then necessity here, however, learning from houses here, we have light color (sand color/ light cream color) houses, which refects most of the heat out. Window glasses are sun tinted with thick curtains.

A lot of juices, water melons and ice creams included in every week shopping list. I hope following this might help, plus there are portable air conditioners now a days, which is quite economical.. you may look for acquiring one.

Good luck,

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The weather has dropped about 10 degrees here now so it's nicely pleasant. We haven't bothered with air con (even portable ones) because we've not experienced this kind of heat here at this time of the year. The heat has been breaking records in Adelaide since it's 20 degs C above the usual temperature there.

Thanks for all the tips!

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
The weather has dropped about 10 degrees here now so it's nicely pleasant. We haven't bothered with air con (even portable ones) because we've not experienced this kind of heat here at this time of the year. The heat has been breaking records in Adelaide since it's 20 degs C above the usual temperature there.
Thanks for all the tips!
Good to learn that temps dropped now. What could be reason for un expected temp rise? Global warming or approaching 2012 ?? He he..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thickness of your blood is the answer to the heat.

Hi there, having many times suffered suffocating heat, the best thing to do is to watch your food. How's that? You can't keep the same diet as in England if you are living there.

1. Try to get use to normal temperature water, instead of cool water. Tap water if possible, in the long run will keep you cooler.
2. Drink regular coffee or tea.
3. Make lots of sports.
4. very important, dont eat 2 hours before going to bed, heavy stuffs.
5.Try to have a good bfast, and avoid lunch.
6. Try to limit air conditioned.

Now, this were my winning tips to fight against humid tropical swamps wheather in the tropic. Hope you could do something with it.

I would like to know more about Melbourne. How is life there?

Regards,
Karen

1 - 15 of 15 Posts