Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've accepted the offer of a role in Dubai.. see other threads for that process!

Anyhow, would welcome suggestions on best service Bank Account as I hear they are a mixed bag in Dubai.

I'd rank these features highly:

1. Good Internet Banking
  2. Easy and cost effective transfer of Monies back to the UK
  3. Good Customer Service

I know it's a personal choice but I'd like to read your experiences.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,931 Posts
Well, I've accepted the offer of a role in Dubai.. see other threads for that process!

Anyhow, would welcome suggestions on best service Bank Account as I hear they are a mixed bag in Dubai.

I'd rank these features highly:

1. Good Internet Banking
  2. Easy and cost effective transfer of Monies back to the UK
  3. Good Customer Service

I know it's a personal choice but I'd like to read your experiences.
Hi,
Emirates NBD score well for customer service (compared with others in this country).
Internet banking in general does not seem as secure here as in the UK - so we don't use it much here.
For money transfer - you get a better rate by taking cash into one of the exchange houses and sending it that way - usually hits your UK account next day (if done Mon to Wed). You can always negotiate a bit on the rate - especially if you are sending a decent amount.
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Emirates NBD have a very good online banking system I find. I can pay every bill imaginable. I'm not sure if other banks offer this, but I'm always confused why people queue up at the petrol station to pay their SALIK/DEWA bills and go to a shopping mall and queue for an hour to pay their mobile phone bill when I do it all online in seconds.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I have HSBC - customer service is non-existent but I hardly ever go and talk to someone in person.

Their online banking is pretty good. I also pay everything online but not exactly through the bank. I pay DEWA, DU, Salik, Etisalat online at their respected websites.

I also don't send money transfer back home through the bank as the rates/charges are very high. I use GCEN to send money - again, done online. I find the rates are pretty good when sending a large amount and I have had money transferred within 24-48 hours.

Having said that, I would suggest perhaps going with the bank your company uses as it can make things easier, from opening an account for salary deposit to getting a CC or car loan. Almost everything is linked to your job/company here and some banks will treat you better if your company is 'registered' with them.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi,
Emirates NBD score well for customer service (compared with others in this country).
Internet banking in general does not seem as secure here as in the UK - so we don't use it much here.
For money transfer - you get a better rate by taking cash into one of the exchange houses and sending it that way - usually hits your UK account next day (if done Mon to Wed). You can always negotiate a bit on the rate - especially if you are sending a decent amount.
Cheers
Steve
NBAD seems to be the most secure when it comes to online banking: you will not login until you provide digital pass code from your personal token device. I am not sure if any other bank has the same approach. I don't have the account there yet but based on their well presented demos, it seems to be one of the best online systems on the market but I may be wrong. They do not have a mobile app...

I am not a big fan of ENBD, their online banking system is annoying to use as everything is built on the iframes and quite often the session will stuck while loading something, meaning you have to refresh or login again. FX rates are a rip off. Good mobile app.

ADCB is good, average online banking, good mobile app, good fx rates, free international transfers (shared fees or guaranteed + AED 100).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi

I am also about to relocate to Dubai and have been looking into Banks. I have been recommended HSBC over in Dubai by friends and family who have never had problems with them.
My main concern was that i still need to transfer funds back to the UK to pay some bills and id heard through some people there was a fee however i checked with my local HSBC bank in Scotland and if you do an online transfer from HSBC Dubai to an HSBC UK account there is no fee. There would be a charge if you were transferring to a different bank though.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Unless you're an HSBC Premier customer in the UK, I'd avoid them like the plague. Honestly, I'd consider avoiding them like the plague even if you are.

·
Registered
864 Posts
....i checked with my local HSBC bank in Scotland and if you do an online transfer from HSBC Dubai to an HSBC UK account there is no fee. There would be a charge if you were transferring to a different bank though.
only if you are a premier customer... other account types have a fee...

i can highly recommend hsbc... i have been using them in the UAE for the last three years, and elsewhere for much longer, and am quite pleased...

if i have any thing that needs to be done, i just email my relationship manager and he usually gets almost anything i need done without the need to ever phone... he usually responds to my emails within the hour...

i recently needed a bankers check for a car purchase i made, i emailed him with instructions, and in two hours got a response back from him that their courier was on the way to the dealership with the check... i just went to the dealership to pick up my new keys...

never made a trip to a branch since the first day when i went to give them copies of my documents...

·
Registered
481 Posts
Questions about HSBC:

1. Is it possible to log in using their secure key or this secure key is only used to approve transactions in the online banking system and you are signing in using standard login and (same) password?

2. Is it possible to link debit card to foreign currency account, e.g. USD, EUR for payments in these currencies?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Another question on the HSBC account set up:

1. What documents do you need to open a UAE based HSBC current account/ credit card?

2. Can you go to a desk at a mall to get this sorted or do you have to go to a proper branch?

I find everything takes 2 trips, I'm always missing something or other, or have gone to the wrong branch and have to come back and I want to avoid it this time.
I'm a Premier customer, should be getting the Emirates ID through this week and currency fluctuations are playing havoc with what ends up being paid into the bank in GBP. No.1 priority is to get an account I can get paid in AED and pick when I transfer money to GBP myself.

Questions about HSBC:

1. Is it possible to log in using their secure key or this secure key is only used to approve transactions in the online banking system and you are signing in using standard login and (same) password?

2. Is it possible to link debit card to foreign currency account, e.g. USD, EUR for payments in these currencies?
As far as I know ....
1. You can use either method. I use the secure key to log in but notice there is an option to be able to log in without, I assume it's the same security questions as the old style mobile app.

2. Yes, possible through HSBC Global View when you're online.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
I have an account with HSBC since the time they did not have the secure keys. There is definitely an option to login with just the password and not the secure key, but you can only do a limited set of domestic transfers under this type of login.

International transfers are definitely not allowed.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
1. What documents do you need to open a UAE based HSBC current account/ credit card?

2. Can you go to a desk at a mall to get this sorted or do you have to go to a proper branch?
Mall service centers - definitely yes for credit cards (and possibly yes for account opening).

You will need passport, visa, and (a) letter from sponsor, or (b) employment contract, or (c) a AND b. Not sure about EID (I got my account etc when EID was not around).

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I had an account with a branch mentioned in this thread which lay fairly dormant for 3-4 months. So they siphoned off the 1000 AED or so I had in there in "charges" and closed the account without any notice. Unsurprisingly, post the event there was little anyone could do. Dealing with those Mexican cartels must've brought around a few policy changes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
With HSBC you can log in with secure key or password. Secure key is obviously preferable.

You can transfer money between HSBC accounts for a reasonably low fixed fee or for free if you are an HSBC Premier account.

That's where the positives ends, the problems you could face are:

Inability to setup DEWA as an online payee to pay your utility bill
Inability to make a credit/debit card payment on the DEWA website
Inability to make standing order payments on time
Inability to make a correct payment over the phone
Inability to call a customer back when they say they will
Inability to answer any question first time

Lack of branches

Plus a bunch of other much more frustrating issues. Feel free to PM me, I personally am trying Premier banking and if it's no better I will change.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Oh, and don't be surprised if you're an HSBC Premier customer, your email gets leaked at some point. Just waiting for the next one to happen...

·
Registered
128 Posts
To be fair, I'd expect the problems above could happen with any bank.

My email was sold on within the first week of being here for 'fantastic investment opportunities'. That's why I have a junk account and one for friends and family.

·
Registered
481 Posts
With HSBC you can log in with secure key or password. Secure key is obviously preferable.

You can transfer money between HSBC accounts for a reasonably low fixed fee or for free if you are an HSBC Premier account.

That's where the positives ends, the problems you could face are:

Inability to setup DEWA as an online payee to pay your utility bill
Inability to make a credit/debit card payment on the DEWA website
[...]
So as I understand once you log in you can specify which authentication login method you would like to use and if you set it to secure key it will always ask for the one time pin code before you can see account balances?

I am not sure why their credit card would not work at DEWA website?

Also, does anyone have experience with linking debit card to foreign currency account for ATM withdrawals in respective currency, e.g. EUR, USD?

·
Registered
864 Posts
...Also, does anyone have experience with linking debit card to foreign currency account for ATM withdrawals in respective currency, e.g. EUR, USD?
if your question is can you link a uae usd/gbp account against your uae debit card, then yes, i do this...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.