Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I've seen some nice properties for sale in Pego and it looks a lovely place with a mountain backdrop and small enough still to be 'personal'.

Do any of you members out there live in Pego? What's it like? Are there any community activities and associations etc.?

Any info/opinions would be gratefully received.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
I live nearby, so can't comment too accurately. As you say, its small enough to be more personal, and it is in a nice position. Monte Pego urb is nearby, but it has around 3000 properties on it. Pego Marshes is nice for bird lovers and of course its only 15 mins from the coast should you be into beaches.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There's beautiful countryside close by in the Valls de Ebo, Alcala and Gallinera ( unspoilt villages with good, cheap bars and restaurants). Great walking country. If you are a pensioner there is a branch of the U3A ( University of the 3rd Age). in nearby Oliva which offers many activity groups, trips and social events, mainly free of charge. The members are mainly English. We had 2 years of free Spanish lessons provided by the town hall in Pego even though we live in an outlying village. We find Pego a pleasant small town with several supermarkets, shops, bars, swimming pool, cinema, schools and a good health centre (the nearest hospital is Denia). It has everything you need and is still quite 'Spanish’, unlike several other towns nearby. It is a hot place in Summer however.

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
There's beautiful countryside close by in the Valls de Ebo, Alcala and Gallinera ( unspoilt villages with good, cheap bars and restaurants). Great walking country. If you are a pensioner there is a branch of the U3A ( University of the 3rd Age). in nearby Oliva which offers many activity groups, trips and social events, mainly free of charge. The members are mainly English. We had 2 years of free Spanish lessons provided by the town hall in Pego even though we live in an outlying village. We find Pego a pleasant small town with several supermarkets, shops, bars, swimming pool, cinema, schools and a good health centre (the nearest hospital is Denia). It has everything you need and is still quite 'Spanish’, unlike several other towns nearby. It is a hot place in Summer however.
The nearest Hospital is Gandia, not that it is that important
Theres also a friendly Photography Club that meets at Monte Pego every other week, and goes on visits to various places on a regular basis

·
Registered
176 Posts
We are always referred, by our Doctor, to Denia Hospital from Vall de Gallinera and have also been sent there from the Health Centre in Pego. I think this is because Denia Hospital is the hospital for the Marina Alta, which is our region. Interestingly, people in our village also go to Alcoy (inland). I haven't heard of anyone using Gandia, although the distance is much the same as to Alcoy or Denia from here. We have found the 'Help' interpreter system very useful in Denia and also the fact that many doctors speak some English, so we usually get by in 'Spanglish'. There is no such service in Alcoy. I don't know about Gandia.

I

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
We are always referred, by our Doctor, to Denia Hospital from Vall de Gallinera and have also been sent there from the Health Centre in Pego. I think this is because Denia Hospital is the hospital for the Marina Alta, which is our region. Interestingly, people in our village also go to Alcoy (inland). I haven't heard of anyone using Gandia, although the distance is much the same as to Alcoy or Denia from here. We have found the 'Help' interpreter system very useful in Denia and also the fact that many doctors speak some English, so we usually get by in 'Spanglish'. There is no such service in Alcoy. I don't know about Gandia.

I
Theres about 8 or 9 kms difference (less) to Gandia, but thats not important right now :)

I guess there must be a fine line between the two. Yes I guess the help system must be good, I think it operates in many hospitals now. Theres supposed to be a brand new hospital opening in Gandia, but as usual, it seems to be taking an awful long time and work on it seems to keep stopping :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks - it sounds lovely. Will definitely have a look there when we go out.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Stravinsky said:
Theres about 8 or 9 kms difference (less) to Gandia,

I guess there must be a fine line between the two.
The boundary between Alicante and Valencia province is about halfway along the road between Oliva and Pego, so that's why Pego is allocated to Denia hospital.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Stravinsky said:
Down the Val De Gallinera theres a restaurant called La Cueva. Doesnt look much from the outside. Make sure you go in for a meal ;):) As long as you like Wild Boar of course
This is certainly an interesting place ( it is, as it's name suggests, in a cave) but we find the food expensive here compared to other places in the valley. The portions are large though. Beware of the 'free' tapa which sometimes turns up with drinks for tourists, as the price of the drink is then more than is normal for round here.

We counted up one day and could name over 20 bars and restaurants within 15/20 minutes drive of where we live. Not bad for a very rural area!

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is certainly an interesting place ( it is, as it's name suggests, in a cave) but we find the food expensive here compared to other places in the valley. The portions are large though. Beware of the 'free' tapa which sometimes turns up with drinks for tourists, as the price of the drink is then more than is normal for round here.

We counted up one day and could name over 20 bars and restaurants within 15/20 minutes drive of where we live. Not bad for a very rural area!
I used to live in Javea. Pego is much more Spanish, being inland a little. Nice place though

·
Registered
5,690 Posts

For sure the portions are huge, and last we were there the food was fantastic. Ive never been subjected to the free tapa though, and I dont remember it being hugely expensive

We've now taken to travelling further to the mountains behind Jalon, to Verdi Vent which is about €18 including unlimited wine and water with 5 courses and caberet in the form of Spanish guitarist :clap2:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I bought a large ruin in the Val de Galinera a few years ago with the intention of restoring it. Soon after buying it we realised that, as breathtaking as the area is, it was just too remote for us to be practical for our requirements (schools, work, etc... )
As far as Pego is concerned I quite like the town itself, but despise the carbunkle that is Monte Pego with a passion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
djfwells said:
I bought a large ruin in the Val de Galinera a few years ago with the intention of restoring it. Soon after buying it we realised that, as breathtaking as the area is, it was just too remote for us to be practical for our requirements (schools, work, etc... )
As far as Pego is concerned I quite like the town itself, but despise the carbunkle that is Monte Pego with a passion.
I suppose it all depends on what you are used to.

We lived in a village in England with much the same population as ours in the Vall de Gallinera. It was the same distance to a small town (Ely ) as we are to Pego and to a large town ( Cambridge) as we are to Denia/Gandia/Alcoy. We had to travel the same distance to hospitals and secondary schools as here. However, in our village, we have a church, 4 bars, a good small shop, a bakers, hairdressers, visiting bank, Doc's surgery 3 times a week ( prescriptions delivered the same evening to the bar), primary school ( 10 children), bus service, 2 social centres ( where I attend exercise classes and many social events) and a variety of stalls which turn up on a regular basis selling anything from kitchen utensils to clothes and shoes etc. Oh, and a beautiful outdoor swimming pool 2 km away.

In England we had a small hall which had once been a chapel and that was it! So, I think that we are very well served here.

P.S. I agree with you about Monte Pego and all those other urbanisations which have destroyed beautiful areas of mountain. Fortunately, the 'crisis' has stopped any developments like this inland.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re-connecting services in Pego

We are buying an apartment in Pego and are due to sign on Monday. The water & electricity are disconnected and we need help getting them re-connected as we are going back to the UK next week. Does anyone know who can help?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
We are buying an apartment in Pego and are due to sign on Monday. The water & electricity are disconnected and we need help getting them re-connected as we are going back to the UK next week. Does anyone know who can help?
Well, you have tyo speak to Iberdrola (if thats who your supplier is) and the water company. Iberdrola has English speakers. Hopefully its just a question of giving them your bank details, but I do believe that Iberdrola make a re connection charge

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, you have tyo speak to Iberdrola (if thats who your supplier is) and the water company. Iberdrola has English speakers. Hopefully its just a question of giving them your bank details, but I do believe that Iberdrola make a re connection charge
From what I've read, it seems a bit more difficult than that. I've seen that you have to get some sort of certificate from the town hall, get an electrician in to check things, get a certificate from him and then get Iberdrola to connect. Much the same with the water company. Perhaps it's not that hard

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you are going to be looking in the general area of Pego, maybe you would like to step a little outside of the box and venture up a little further towards Simat de la Valldigna and the beautiful Aguas Vivas Valley. Absolutely stunning location for a ´real´life rather than an 'on holiday life'. Our village of Barraca d'Aguas Vivas is just 35 mins south of Valencia airport, the beaches are just 15 mins away, and there are two train stations for Valencia with free parking within 10 mins and fantastically easy access to all major roads and motorways in the area. The village has everything for day-to-day living and the fascinating old Arab walled city of Alzira is just 5 mins down the road. The valley is home to the British School of Alzira, the Aguas Vivas Hospital and the new international standard golf course where there are no humungous membership fees. A real bonus - what is reputedly the second best hospital in Spain - La Ribera - with many English speaking medical staff can be reached in 6-8 minutes. Multi national community with half a dozen or so families from the UK residing on the urbanisation and others dotted around the orange groves. Sometimes looking outside of the box can bring pleasant surprises. If you would like any more information about Barraca or the area in general, just ask and I will do my best to help.

In any event, hope you soon find your dream home and are able to start enjoying your Spanish adventure. It's all about having fun!

·
Registered
881 Posts
No matter how beautiful a place is, it is more convenient to live near 'everyday' things. Having to drive the car down the mountain to get sugar or bread is not really my thing. You can still live in 'rural' places that caters for most everyday things, GPs, schools, Post Office, Supermarkets, etc. Between Oliva and Gandia you do have lots of small villages like Piles, Miramar, Bellreguard, Guardamar, Daimús, etc.

... and you can walk to the beach from all these places too. No need to drive!

We made the right decision when renting and after testing the village and the area we are considering buying the place, but maybe next year or the year after, as they keep dropping in price!

Monte Pego, Tossal Gros, and all those 'urbanizaciones' are great and the views are fantastic but it does feel a bit isolated even if you have 3000 neighbours around you, as there are not shops or other facilities.

You should consider this. We went both to Monte Pego and Tossal Gros and trust me, we felt in love with the area and the houses but we though it would be hard work to get us out of the house just to buy bread or milk.. lol!

Pego is in Alicante therefore the hospital would be in near Denia.

Tossal Gros is in Valencia.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts