Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday sterling was on the back foot against both the USD and the EUR.

In particular the move lower against the euro is what concerns us on this forum :( although the drop was not significant in size, the fact that we have now breached key levels could open the door for a further move lower.

The pound needs to find some resilience quickly or we could see further drops towards 1.11.

The move lower in the pound was not related to economic data but more to the difference in attitudes between the ECB and the Bank Of England. The ECB yesterday hinted at an exit strategy for stimulus and quantitative easing, whereas the Bank of England could in fact add more to the QE programme before the end of the year.

This week is going to be important for the pound against the euro as psychologically we are now in a lower trading range.

Fingers crossed folks!

Keith

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Yesterday sterling was on the back foot against both the USD and the EUR.

In particular the move lower against the euro is what concerns us on this forum :( although the drop was not significant in size, the fact that we have now breached key levels could open the door for a further move lower.

The pound needs to find some resilience quickly or we could see further drops towards 1.11.

The move lower in the pound was not related to economic data but more to the difference in attitudes between the ECB and the Bank Of England. The ECB yesterday hinted at an exit strategy for stimulus and quantitative easing, whereas the Bank of England could in fact add more to the QE programme before the end of the year.

This week is going to be important for the pound against the euro as psychologically we are now in a lower trading range.

Fingers crossed folks!

Keith

Its not so much that the pound is dropping, but the euro is strengthening. Germany and France have announced that they are no longer in recession and thats given the euro a boost. Its high against the US dollar too!

I also think that the UK government like the pound to be lower to encourage exports amongst other things

Jo xx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not so much that the pound is dropping, but the euro is strengthening. Germany and France have announced that they are no longer in recession and thats given the euro a boost. Its high against the US dollar too!

I also think that the UK government like the pound to be lower to encourage exports amongst other things

Jo xx
There's alot of divided opinion at the moment amongst eurozone economies as to who is recovering the quickest.

Many feel this is a potentailly explosive situation that could hurt the investment potential of the euro, and if this is correct, the added pressure could benefit sterling in the medium term.

In case you havent noticed I try to keep my cup always half-full! :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
With a house purchase on the way I'm going to be changing a sizeable wodge of spondoolicks so you can bet your bottom dollar (pun intended) that the rate will be low when I do.
Every time I so much as think about buying a euro the rate drops faster than a rat goes up a drainpipe so basically, I think you can blame the whole thing on me:cool:

Doggy

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Why the panic? In December there was almost parity.
I think the £ will recover to around the 1.25 level and hover there.
The European Central Bank has yet to come to grips with the weak economies of the PIGS. France and Germany are out of recession, true, but Germany still has mighty problems as it is almost totally dependent on exports -still the world's leading exporter -and other countries need to come out of recession to buy.Spanish banks are offering 3.75% on some investment accounts, peanuts I know compared to five years ago but munificent when compared to the 0.5% of our UK Central Bank.
It ain't over yet, folks

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Why the panic? In December there was almost parity.
I think the £ will recover to around the 1.25 level and hover there.
The European Central Bank has yet to come to grips with the weak economies of the PIGS. France and Germany are out of recession, true, but Germany still has mighty problems as it is almost totally dependent on exports -still the world's leading exporter -and other countries need to come out of recession to buy.Spanish banks are offering 3.75% on some investment accounts, peanuts I know compared to five years ago but munificent when compared to the 0.5% of our UK Central Bank.
It ain't over yet, folks
....... not until the fat lady sings!!!!

Jo xxxx

·
Banned
642 Posts
I forward ordered my Euros 2 weeks ago at 1.1675, the last M&S rate that I noticed was last Friday at 1.0825. Everything pointed to a stronger pound, but it's dropping faster than a whores knickers.

OK Germany and France have come out of recession, but that hardly helps the PIGS economies that are still knee deep in the brown stuff. It appears that it's more of Germany and France setting a value for the Pound, and countries such as Spain just tagging on for the ride. Me thinks that we are in for a rough ride during the next few months.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I forward ordered my Euros 2 weeks ago at 1.1675, the last M&S rate that I noticed was last Friday at 1.0825. Everything pointed to a stronger pound, but it's dropping faster than a whores knickers.

OK Germany and France have come out of recession, but that hardly helps the PIGS economies that are still knee deep in the brown stuff. It appears that it's more of Germany and France setting a value for the Pound, and countries such as Spain just tagging on for the ride. Me thinks that we are in for a rough ride during the next few months.
Oh no!!!! Say it's not true!!!:eek::baby:

·
Registered
527 Posts

France & Germany are still producing a negative GDP so how come they are out of the recession???

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
France & Germany are still producing a negative GDP so how come they are out of the recession???
Do you mean by 'negative GDP' that the growth rate hasn't returned to, say, pre-2007 figures? There's no such thing as 'negative Gross Domestic Product'.
France and Germany have both moved towards very slightly improved output figures over the past quarter. But although it's good news especially for Germany which has seen low or no growth for longer than most Eurozone states it is still only the faintest of green shoots. Germany's economy is 99% dependent on exports and until the rest of the world's economies pick up significantly it will still be on shaky foundations,especially with large economies such as the U.S. and now Japan veering dangerously towards protectionism.
France was far vless exposed to Credit Swap Derivatives and all the other toxic junk which has played a major role in bringing down the U.K. and U.S. economies, likewise Germany, which has always been institutionally- and personally- credit adverse.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Do you mean by 'negative GDP' that the growth rate hasn't returned to, say, pre-2007 figures? There's no such thing as 'negative Gross Domestic Product'.
France and Germany have both moved towards very slightly improved output figures over the past quarter. But although it's good news especially for Germany which has seen low or no growth for longer than most Eurozone states it is still only the faintest of green shoots. Germany's economy is 99% dependent on exports and until the rest of the world's economies pick up significantly it will still be on shaky foundations,especially with large economies such as the U.S. and now Japan veering dangerously towards protectionism.
France was far vless exposed to Credit Swap Derivatives and all the other toxic junk which has played a major role in bringing down the U.K. and U.S. economies, likewise Germany, which has always been institutionally- and personally- credit adverse.
Measured YOY (year on year) GDP has reduced which means that production has contracted, hence 'negative GDP'.
Re Germany see:
Record fall in GDP sees Germany take over as the ‘sick man of Europe’ - Times Online

... also... "German gross domestic product (GDP) rose unexpectedly by 0.3% (lol!) in the second quarter.

So GDP dropped 3.8% in Q1 2009 and rose 0.3% in Q2 2009and everyone is shouting that the recession is over. My maths tells me that they are still down 3.5% this year (YOY) How much were they down in 2008 vs 2007?

·
Registered
22,399 Posts
Measured YOY (year on year) GDP has reduced which means that production has contracted, hence 'negative GDP'.
Re Germany see:
Record fall in GDP sees Germany take over as the ‘sick man of Europe’ - Times Online

... also... "German gross domestic product (GDP) rose unexpectedly by 0.3% (lol!) in the second quarter.

So GDP dropped 3.8% in Q1 2009 and rose 0.3% in Q2 2009and everyone is shouting that the recession is over. My maths tells me that they are still down 3.5% this year (YOY) How much were they down in 2008 vs 2007?
I prefer the term negative growth' but we mean the same thing.:)
I think part of the reason for the 0.3% growth in German GDP was due to the fact that for the last couple of years the 'Mittelstand' firms were running down stocks and not ordering and now that has come to an end so orders are picking up. But not necessarily exports.
I agree with you in that I don't think the recession is even half-way over in the U.K. It won't be until banks start lending to business, for one thing. I can't understand why the Government isn't leaning more heavily on whatever the quango set up to oversee our 'natiuonalised ' banks is called - UKFSA or something?
It's the duty of the Government -any Government -to support illiquid banks -not insolvent banks -and our major banks are currently illiquid. But with strings......
Incidentally, the old Co-op Bank seems to have risen above the current turmoil.
Maybe there was something to this 'ethical investment' credo??

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.