Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, hi guys I'm new to the forum :)

I need to find the answer to a critical question.

I am 15 and just started my GCSEs in the UK (Year 10 in the UK) and my parents are thinking about going to Australia. They are under the impression that I can finish my GCSEs here and then go straight to a college in Australia but after reading around online I have found that this is not the case.

Aparantly, in Australia, years 11 and 12 are really important, and if they are, I don't want to miss half of year 11, but at the same time, we are not guaranteed to stay in Australia, there will always be a possibility of us not liking it and returning to the UK so i really want GCSEs because if we do return to the UK before I get the certificate thingy, I will have no qualifications.

So basically, the thing I am most concerned about is if I will make it in time for year 11 after my GCSEs.

I will turn 17 on the 1st October 2011, will I be in year 10 or 11 in, for example, August 2011? I want to be in year 10 then so I can start year 11 in January/february but I'm worried that this isn't the case.

If this doesn't make sense please say because it's hard to explain, sorry.
Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Well the most important thing is when do your parents think they will move over? From that we can work out which year you will be in.

In Victoria we have VCEs (GCSE equiv) and Y11 students are 16 years old.

If you finish your GCSEs and then come over you can enrol into a local TAFE (college). Why not email a TAFE and ask the question? TAFE Australia It will then give you the answers your looking for and also ease your mind at the same time.

Good luck!
Dolly

PS we moved over in Oct 2007. My eldest had 8 weeks in year 10 and then moved into Year 11 to start his VCEs. It was hard sometimes but he did enough to be able to apply for Uni

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Well the most important thing is when do your parents think they will move over? From that we can work out which year you will be in.

In Victoria we have VCEs (GCSE equiv) and Y11 students are 16 years old.

If you finish your GCSEs and then come over you can enrol into a local TAFE (college). Why not email a TAFE and ask the question? TAFE Australia It will then give you the answers your looking for and also ease your mind at the same time.

Good luck!
Dolly

PS we moved over in Oct 2007. My eldest had 8 weeks in year 10 and then moved into Year 11 to start his VCEs. It was hard sometimes but he did enough to be able to apply for Uni
...and your birth date could make a difference. The school year here starts in January, not September.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Your are correct :D

Dolly

1 - 4 of 4 Posts