Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, me again! We really need to know about how much we will need to save up for this visa. Can anyone tell me how much you spent in total on your spousal visa? Also, what is the difference between a spousal visa and a settlement visa?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi all, me again! We really need to know about how much we will need to save up for this visa. Can anyone tell me how much you spent in total on your spousal visa? Also, what is the difference between a spousal visa and a settlement visa?
Currently, the cost of a spousal visa when applying from outside the UK is 851 GBP, or about $1,325 (I had to pay this amount when I applied for my fiancée visa, too). If you want to apply using priority service, that costs an extra $300.

And a spousal visa is a type of settlement visa. You might also hear that applying for indefinite leave to remain (sort of the UK equivalent of a green card) is often called applying for settlement, but you won't be able to do that until after you've spent 5 years in the UK.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I should also add that your spousal visa will be valid for 2.5 years, after which you'll need to apply for another one, but you'll be able to apply for that from within the UK. After you've spent a total of 5 years in the UK under spousal visas, you'll be able to apply for indefinite leave to remain.

·
Super Moderator
18,088 Posts

A spouse visa is a settlement visa. The cost for applying for aspouse visa from the US is $1404.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thank you so much
Best of luck!!! :) Just make sure to ask more questions if you need to, it can be a very confusing process. This forum helped me emotionally as well when I was applying for my fiancée visa, as it's always nice to know there are others going through the same thing!

·
Registered
924 Posts
Don't forget shipping

Shipping your application packet to Sheffield plus the cost of it's return to you will add to your expense. You will need to set up an online account with whichever company you want to use (FedEx, DHL, etc) and tie it to a credit/debit card account for payment. Then you just complete the waybill indicating that you are paying the costs. For the return, complete the waybill as coming from International Operations and Visas and being sent to you and mark charges to be paid by receiver (your account), put it on a similar package and include with your application.

For example - I chose FedEx, set up my account, and my packet weighed 2lbs and cost just under $78 to send. I'm hoping the return may be a little cheaper as they will be keeping some of the documentation. I've just applied last Friday so it isn't scheduled to be delivered until tomorrow by noon, since today was a bank holiday in the UK.

Good luck with your application! Your best bet is to read these posts over and over for advice and getting familiar with the process.
Laurel

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you! My next question was going to be about shipping details. I'm going to be using a 3 ring binder to better organize my documents but that was very helpful!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
I'm going to be using a 3 ring binder to better organize my documents but that was very helpful!
No, no, no!
No binders, index tabs, folders etc.
Just put your documents in two piles, one for originals and the other for copies, in exactly the same order. Then put strings in a cross fashion over each, and then put further strings to keep the two together.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Take mods advice!

Really? I've heard a few people doing this though. All well, I'll take your advice then. Thanks!
Just imagine you are the person processing your application after doing several others - would you be happy with the extra time and effort to take all that apart? :)

Also, keeping it as concise as possible will save on shipping costs as well.

Just keep asking questions until you understand the whole picture. It is very confusing at first but after a while of reading here, it will come together for you.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The total cost for us using a visa debit card was about £100 more including the conversion on the actual day and purchase fee. So have about £950 in your account.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.