Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We're heading for Brisbane next April.

We have 3 kids and I've already put aside all our summer clothes to take with us, plan to give the kids' school uniforms to other families with children in the same school, etc...

But I'm VERY lost regarding winter stuff.

We all have a Summer and a Winter duvet, and we even have 2 spare duvets for when we have visits.
Also I have all of our eldest winter clothes, which no longer fits her but have been wore only a few times and are in great condition and if we were staying in the UK would end up in her little sisters drawers in a couple of years.

We don't want to take anything we won't need and I'm organizing a carboot sale before Christmas in a few weeks.

How cold is Winter in Brisbane?
Will we need gloves?
What winter clothes do you wear over there?

Do you put duvets on your beds during winter?
It rains a lot?

Do we need warm winter coats or water resistant rain coats are enough?
Should I pack kids wolly and fleece jumpers?

Tights and socks or just socks?

It's 5 of us, a lot of clothes to go through... any advice woud be fantastic.

Cheers,
Busyte

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hi, What a great question!!!!!! it will be nice to hear the responses as i am busy sorting clothes etc as we leave a week on sunday and also going to brisbane.

I will be able to help i hope on certain things once i am there, so will keep you posted. Best of luck...ellisa.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
i dont think its that cold that you need UK winter clothes. have you checked the average temperature in Brisbane?

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi,

Winter can get a bit nippy sometimes so you will deffo need a doona!

Be aware that the sizes here are slightly different to European sizes. For example, a single duvet in the UK is 135cm x 200cm, here it's 140cm x 210cm.

Either tights or socks in the winter, you won't have to wear both (oh how I remember standing on the sidelines watching my son play football - I used to wear a thermal vest, shirt, jumper, coat, trousers, tights, socks and two pairs of gloves, a hat and a scarf!!!!). It gets cold, but not THAT cold!

I bought all my coats with me and I've worn one maybe 3 or 4 times, we've been here 2 years. Personally a fleece is enough. You'll need a brolly more than a coat.

We bought as many clothes as we could. We then ditched those that we no longer wore and bought new. You have to be here to gauge what you will need really. What I think is cold, someone else will think it's not. Err on the side of caution. Pack a lightweight coat, a few jumpers/sweatshirts/trousers and ship the rest of your clothes in the container.

Also bring with you treats like proper cadburys chocolate. HP fruity sauce, prawn cocktail crisps, bisto gravy powder (oh sorry, that was me! ) :lol: wishful thinking again :D

Dolly

PS just found this website so it will give you some idea of temps http://www.brisbane-australia.com/brisbane-weather.html

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you

Hi,

Thank you for your replies!!!:)

I totally got the picture.
A Winter in Brisbane e pretty much like Spring day in the UK, chilly nights, coldish days....

Thank you,
Busyte

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Coldish nights, but days can be very pleasant (20s). I think of Brisbane Winters like Northern Hemisphere Autumns. No need for much more than what you wear in Autumn.

Hi,

Thank you for your replies!!!:)

I totally got the picture.
A Winter in Brisbane e pretty much like Spring day in the UK, chilly nights, coldish days....

Thank you,
Busyte

1 - 6 of 6 Posts