Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Journey booked for Monday to travel to the UK on a spouse visa. A few questions that I was confused about from other threads:

1. I'm going to bring little cash as I will just withdraw a large chunk while I'm there with my American debit card. Would they question this? I heard that bringing too much cash (GBP or USD) would be suspicious.

2. Fingerprinting at the border? Not that it's a problem, just want to be prepared!

3. I have a one way ticket, of course. Are they going to ask any questions about that?

4. Should my husband be nearby? He usually waits in the car park or just past customs. He'll have his phone and everything, but would they contact him or need him?

5. Typically when I travel to visit my husband the situation is a little stressful: they ask why I'm there, why I chose to travel to the UK (as opposed to vice versa), how I'm supporting myself, the limits on all credit cards I've brought with me, etc. They usually ask while questionably going through my passport (which did have a lot of stamps from many countries) and would probe further if I stammered for a split second with a really quick follow up question of "why?" Is it going to be like that even with a visa in my passport?

I'm a little scared that I'll answer something "wrong," not that it won't be truthful but just that they would be surprised by my answer or something. I know it's just the stress talking!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
Hey everyone!

Journey booked for Monday to travel to the UK on a spouse visa. A few questions that I was confused about from other threads:

1. I'm going to bring little cash as I will just withdraw a large chunk while I'm there with my American debit card. Would they question this? I heard that bringing too much cash (GBP or USD) would be suspicious.
No problems.

2. Fingerprinting at the border? Not that it's a problem, just want to be prepared!
Yes, normal procedure, electronically with a scanner.

3. I have a one way ticket, of course. Are they going to ask any questions about that?
No.

4. Should my husband be nearby? He usually waits in the car park or just past customs. He'll have his phone and everything, but would they contact him or need him?
It will help if he is actually waiting for you at the arrivals, with phone switched on.

5. Typically when I travel to visit my husband the situation is a little stressful: they ask why I'm there, why I chose to travel to the UK (as opposed to vice versa), how I'm supporting myself, the limits on all credit cards I've brought with me, etc. They usually ask while questionably going through my passport (which did have a lot of stamps from many countries) and would probe further if I stammered for a split second with a really quick follow up question of "why?" Is it going to be like that even with a visa in my passport?

I'm a little scared that I'll answer something "wrong," not that it won't be truthful but just that they would be surprised by my answer or something. I know it's just the stress talking!
No close questioning. Maybe things like where you husband is, what he does for a living, no access to public funds, where you are going to live, and you must renew your visa in 2.5 years.
When completing your landing card, which you must, put 2.5 years as duration of your stay (length of your visa), even if you intend to settle permanently.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Joppa!

I did read that people brought documents with them such as any letter from UKBA (if provided) when they got their visa, a marriage certificate, or proof of accommodation.

I assume this was all entrusted to the UKBA visa approval process, but, I figured I'd double check!

·
Registered
638 Posts
My husband arrived with all application evidence in his hand luggage. But it went so smoothly he was through before I even got there! All they asked him was what my date of birth is and where we got married. No questions about one way ticket or anything and that was his first ever flight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.