Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I shortlisted a few properties... But, for the one I like the most I cannot reach their real estate agent.
I sent 5 inquiries via listing web site - no response.
And I know the site is active as I scheduled all my viewings through it.

Now, what are my options?

1) I can just forget about this property, but I really like it and want to view to consider it.
2) I cannot go and see it from outside even, as I don't have exact address... Moreover, it's not enough.
3) I can't call the agent, as I don't see with whom it's listed.
4) I probably could go to a local mairie or notary in the village, show photos and hope he recognize it. But can I then bypass the agent and contact the owner/seller directly? Will they even give me seller's contact information? Will they even have his / her email address, as they might not even speak English (emails are translatable)?
And the most important, will unresponsive agent still need to be paid for doing nothing?

Thank you.

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
I suspect there's not much you can do. It's possible that whoever listed it, or the owners themselves, may be on holiday and there's no current way to view. If you're arranging inspections via the web rather than by phone, you're already doing well.

Maybe check on leboncoin.fr so see if it's listed there with a phone number. Alternatively drive around the village and surrounding areas, you might just come across it.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
There is also the possibility that the sellers have a viable offer on the table and they may not be accepting any more calls/inquiries.

As EH says, many estate agents and sellers don't particularly care for doing business via e-mail. You may have to call them in order to get an appointment to view the property (if it is still available).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Read Only
18,642 Posts
There is also the possibility that the sellers have a viable offer on the table and they may not be accepting any more calls/inquiries.

As EH says, many estate agents and sellers don't particularly care for doing business via e-mail. You may have to call them in order to get an appointment to view the property (if it is still available).
Cheers,
Bev
The OP doesn't have the contact phone number. It's usual with the type of site he's using for the request to be forwarded to the agent, who would then send an email with the phone number. That hasn't occurred in this instance for who knows what reason. But, as you say, there may be an offer on the table, or indeed the property may no longer be on the market, or may no longer be in the hands of that particular agent.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Perhaps you can try to find the property on another website. The house we bought was listed on just about every single real estate website in France. There will certainly be a website where the agent is listed. Also, patience is a virtue. Especially in France.

You seem a little concerned with money and are already thinking that you don´t want to pay the agent? Your initial post was Friday and today is Monday. You mean over the course of one working day the agent had to audacity to have other stuff to do than contact you? I would strongly advise you against buying a house in France. You will hate it here.

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
One other thing to consider is that this is a long holiday weekend. Tuesday (tomorrow as I write this) is the 14th of July and it's possible that either the agent, the seller or both are away or simply not taking calls/e-mails.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 6 of 6 Posts