Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

What to do, what to do...

1065 Views 5 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  LondonSquirrel
Hi everyone!

I am living in Edinburgh (from Canada) on a Tier 5 working visa which ends September 10th 2012. My Fiance (who is a British citizen from Edinburgh) and I started dating 3 years ago and have been living together the entire duration of my stay here in the UK. Before I moved here, we went back and forth between Canada and Scotland 2 weeks together, 4 weeks apart between Canada and the UK from Aug 2009 - Sept 2010 (when I moved). We have plans to marry next summer 2013, but we are looking into options into how I can reside and work over here until that date. I have done a lot of research into the Unmarried Partner Visa and there's only one portion of the requirements I am unsure of -- it states you need to be living together for 2 years and come September 10th, it will be exactly 2 years, but the issue will then be that my current visa will be expired.

I guess my question is, will 23 months (if I apply in August -- with the only exception being my current visa) be adequate enough for them to grant me this visa? My Fiance and I have our own place, joint account, I have a job over here, have been contributing to the economy since day one, I even volunteer haha! 24 months is the length they require, but my visa is only for 24 months, so we've only been allowed to live together for that long before I need to apply.

Thanks so much guys. Hopefully this post isn't too convoluted -- this is the first post on any website ever for me! I appreciate it.


Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
Unmarried Partner Visa

I think you will be OK to provide something for every couple of months or every 3 months, spread out over the two years. Try to provide as much as possible esp things that show the address, rack your brains to think of as much of this stuff as you can, doesn't have to be joint bills (tho obviously they are the best) but things of both yours and hers showing the same address. Any insurance policies you have, (travel, pet, gadget insurance, contents insurance, car insurance), do your P60s have your home address on? A letter from your doctor or dentist to show you have been registered at that address is what we got for my husband's application to get his ILR put into a new passport (they may charge a small fee to do you a letter but worth it for the extra proof. Our doctor charged but dentist didn't).

Although the immigration people consider this 'soft' rather than 'hard' evidence, letters from friends and family to say they know you as a couple and how long they have known you (esp good if you can get from colleagues or better a boss, or someone of a professional standing), boarding passes, photos together, and joint invitations to weddings/parties/christenings etc if you still have them.

Don't forget you'll need proof of finances and accommodation both being adequate.

The timing shouldn't be a problem because as long as they are considering your application you are legal (I am assuming switching visas in country between Tier 4 and unmarried partner is OK because I wouldn't know that). Also check if that kind of application can be done in person. If you can, although it costs more, it's great for peace of mind. We went in person to do my hubby's ILR in a new passport (we had an appointment), and we walked out with the new sticker about 4pm the same day.
See less See more
1 - 1 of 6 Posts
Not open for further replies.