Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have received my 189 visa and the date of first entry is before November 2018. As I am currently employed abroad, I intend to go for the essentials during my first entry and keep it as short as possible (unless I get a job during that time by some stroke of luck). Would one week be enough for the purpose of first entry. What are the formalities required once you enter Australia for the first time.

TYIA

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Hi,

I have received my 189 visa and the date of first entry is before November 2018. As I am currently employed abroad, I intend to go for the essentials during my first entry and keep it as short as possible (unless I get a job during that time by some stroke of luck). Would one week be enough for the purpose of first entry. What are the formalities required once you enter Australia for the first time.

TYIA
30 mins are enough for first entry. Since your got a 189 visa, there are no obligations/conditions on your visa. There are no formalities once you enter Australia, but it is always recommended to apply for a TFN from Australian Taxation Office and enroll in Medicare and Centrelink to have your profile started here. All these enrollments can be done within a weeks time. You can have the cards/TFN number details posted to a trust worthy friends/family's home.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
30 mins are enough for first entry. Since your got a 189 visa, there are no obligations/conditions on your visa. There are no formalities once you enter Australia, but it is always recommended to apply for a TFN from Australian Taxation Office and enroll in Medicare and Centrelink to have your profile started here. All these enrollments can be done within a weeks time. You can have the cards/TFN number details posted to a trust worthy friends/family's home.
It is highly recommended NOT to apply for any of these during the validation trip. You can apply for them once you move there permanently. As per the time required, you can just pass the immigration desk and take the next flight back home.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
It is highly recommended NOT to apply for any of these during the validation trip. You can apply for them once you move there permanently. As per the time required, you can just pass the immigration desk and take the next flight back home.
Well, if you are going to look for jobs, if successful for a position, have to provide passport, medicare, bank details and TFN as initial identity proof.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Well, if you are going to look for jobs, if successful for a position, have to provide passport, medicare, bank details and TFN as initial identity proof.
Well, looking for a job is different from getting a job. You can always do these things even after you get a job.
Why not do it on validation trip? There are numerous posts on this forum with detailed explanation.

Anyway, are you aware of "Medicare LHC loading"?

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Just curious why it is highly recommended not to

Edit: oh re: Medicare I see you shared due to being able to defer the LHC loading - thanks for sharing that I wasn't fully aware.

Still curious bout TFN though

·
Registered
11,349 Posts
Hi,

TYIA
As mentioned above, most people do the following:

Get registered for medicare, centerlink, get tax id, open bank account.

You don't have to do any above as fat as i am aware - but better to do.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just curious why it is highly recommended not to

Edit: oh re: Medicare I see you shared due to being able to defer the LHC loading - thanks for sharing that I wasn't fully aware.

Still curious bout TFN though
TFN is your personal and confidential information. It is not advisable to mail it to anyone.
It takes 15 minutes to get TFN online. Once you register for TFN online, your physical card will be sent to an address you give during the registration time in 15 to 30 days.
You have TFN instantly (AFAIK) once you register online. It is the physical card that will be mailed.
This TFN number is not required unless you have income in Australia. So why bother when you are on validation trip and risk leaking your private info? :)

Medicare - LHC loading...

Centerlink - Your eligibility for benefits is counted based on your actual duration of stay, but not based on when you registered. Again, why run behind the offices to do this when you are on a validation trip? Instead, you can spend that time on some other useful things. :love:

Bank Account - It can be opened online and you can collect the debit card from a branch closer to your stay. This can be useful in future if you want to transfer money ahead of your permanent move. But again, once you open the account online, you can transfer the money even if you don't collect the debit card. (AFAIK)

·
Registered
220 Posts
TFN is your personal and confidential information. It is not advisable to mail it to anyone.
It takes 15 minutes to get TFN online. Once you register for TFN online, your physical card will be sent to an address you give during the registration time in 15 to 30 days.
You have TFN instantly (AFAIK) once you register online. It is the physical card that will be mailed.
This TFN number is not required unless you have income in Australia. So why bother when you are on validation trip and risk leaking your private info? :)

Medicare - LHC loading...

Centerlink - Your eligibility for benefits is counted based on your actual duration of stay, but not based on when you registered. Again, why run behind the offices to do this when you are on a validation trip? Instead, you can spend that time on some other useful things. :love:

Bank Account - It can be opened online and you can collect the debit card from a branch closer to your stay. This can be useful in future if you want to transfer money ahead of your permanent move. But again, once you open the account online, you can transfer the money even if you don't collect the debit card. (AFAIK)
So, looks like the only reason why it's not recommended is to risk private info or identity theft?

Well, if somebody has that taken care of, is it recommended then?

The only reason I am asking is because I am moving my company's branch to Sydney and during my first validation trip of 7-10 days, I am going to do all of this and more. So, just wanted to find out if there's any other risk which you might know. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
None, to my knowledge, if you take care of that problem.
So, looks like the only reason why it's not recommended is to risk private info or identity theft?

Well, if somebody has that taken care of, is it recommended then?

The only reason I am asking is because I am moving my company's branch to Sydney and during my first validation trip of 7-10 days, I am going to do all of this and more. So, just wanted to find out if there's any other risk which you might know. Thanks in advance!
Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi,
We have our 189 PR and IED is in September 2018,so want to make an entry and come back..we are keeping our trip short to 3 days due to some constraints.
Can you please guide us whether we can do the initial Medicare and TFN during the.period.
And any cheap accommodation we can get and book in Melbourne.

Any other threads/ experiences who made an entry and came back

Thanks,
Praveen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None, to my knowledge, if you take care of that problem.

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

I intend to have a short trip to Melbourne in August (a week or a little less). What are the things you recommend we do apart from sight seeing?

TYIA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.

I intend to have a short trip to Melbourne in August (a week or a little less). What are the things you recommend we must do while there?

TYIA

·
Registered
44 Posts
Planning for first visit to Melbourne in August. Short trip to meet IED... Can you suggest economic place for 3/4 days heard service apartments are good.. Any place in Melbourne for my purpose please?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Planning for first visit to Melbourne in August. Short trip to meet IED... Can you suggest economic place for 3/4 days heard service apartments are good.. Any place in Melbourne for my purpose please?
Book via Airbnb, that is cheaper than hotels.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi,
We have our 189 PR and IED is in September 2018,so want to make an entry and come back..we are keeping our trip short to 3 days due to some constraints.
Can you please guide us whether we can do the initial Medicare and TFN during the.period.
And any cheap accommodation we can get and book in Melbourne.

Any other threads/ experiences who made an entry and came back

Thanks,
Praveen

I didnt apply for TFN or Medicare (as it requires a local address and also i wasnt sure about where i want to move - Melbourne or Sydney) when i made my first entry. my validation trip was very short, came on a Sunday morning, took the return flight on Monday (due to personal reasons). But i would not recommend taking such a trip, it was exhausting for me. 1 week should be fine if you are planning to visit some places.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Again, I would advise against TFN and Medicare registration on validation trips unless you will definitely be making the perm move in weeks. Here's why:

TFN is required for those who are tax resident. Regardless of dual taxation treaties it's always going to be more complicated to be perceived as tax resident in two places at once. For my money the cleanest way forward is to sign out of one country then sign in at another. This will avoid "so where WERE you resident at that time sir?" questions as both countries try to tax income.

Medicare: Australia private medical insurance adds a premium for those who start with policies later in life (fair enough). As they recognise that would be unfair to migrants you have 1 year from registering medicare to take out private insurance and have this waved. (LHC)

Bank is not so heavy a risk, but you might end up paying charges for an account you're not using.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Book via Airbnb, that is cheaper than hotels.

Which area is better for such short trips,any idea?from public transport perspective and convince. Ofcourse economic too☺

1 - 20 of 27 Posts