Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be coming regularly from the UK to Hamilton to join my partner who will be living there permanently. She has yet to arrange shipping out for a lot of her UK possessions.

I notice that a lot of things in New Zealand are considerably more expensive than in Europe , such as Le Creuset cookware. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what would be worthwhile bringing out and selling on Trade Me etc to make a profit and thus help offset her shipping cost and my fuure airfares.

Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to clarify, she is a NZ citizen whilst I am from the UK. I have children and grandchildren back in the UK so will probably spend the NZ winter in the UK and come here for the NZ summer. Hopefully I should have a per,aren't suntan.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Hi there

I'd read up on your customs rules before you bring anything in by crate. New immigrants can bring their household contents in GST and duty free - as long as they are used, and not brought in with the sole intention of selling them on.

But if you don't have a visa of the right kind in your passport then you will be charged.
And - everyone beware - don't send your worldly goods off in advance, and in anticipation of getting your visa. If you don't have a visa in your passport on the day it lands, you will be charged GST.

I can say this quite confidently, as our friend's daughter has just fallen into this trap. Their agent said that the visa was 'imminent' and arranged the shipping of their stuff. It arrived in port on 8th March, and they are still awaiting their visa. And even that isn't certain now. So even if things go OK with the visa they have spent a lot of money already, will have to spend more than anticipated still.

The moral of this story is don't count your chickens until they've hatched. Or don't pull up all your roots and send things over until the visa is certain. You may come very unstuck.

·
Banned
180 Posts
I will be coming regularly from the UK to Hamilton to join my partner who will be living there permanently. She has yet to arrange shipping out for a lot of her UK possessions.

I notice that a lot of things in New Zealand are considerably more expensive than in Europe , such as Le Creuset cookware. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what would be worthwhile bringing out and selling on Trade Me etc to make a profit and thus help offset her shipping cost and my fuure airfares.

Thanks
Yes it is more expensive but very heavy :) you'll be using a lot of your baggage allowance on a few pots and pans, or do you mean packing them in her container to bring over? No problem, just make sure they don't look new as technically she has to pay duty on anything bought in the last year.

European furniture always goes down well - Ikea for instance.

Branded clothes usually go down well on Trade Me, but there's no guarantee of making much of a profit, Kiwis like their bargains!! Have a look at some of the auctions and see what's popular at the moment.

·
Registered
889 Posts
=carosapien;742500] just make sure they don't look new as technically she has to pay duty on anything bought in the last year.
Sorry to disagree but not true. If coming as new migrant you do not pay any duty or GST on clothing & personal goods provided they are for your use & not for resale.(Cars may be the exception)

If your NZ partner has been out of the country for 21 months same rule applies

We were away 24 months & brought all our possessions back hassle free & also shipped a houseful of new flat packed Ikea furniture from Australia declaring it was brand new (even showed invoices) & did not pay any GST or duty.

·
Banned
180 Posts
New Zealand Customs Service : Allowances & duty free concessions

​When entering New Zealand either as a returning citizen or resident, or if settling for the first time, your household or other related effects will be admitted free of Customs duty and goods and services tax (GST) for a reasonable time after you arrive, provided you can meet the following requirements:

•You have arrived in New Zealand and, on the date the effects are imported, hold a document authorising residence in New Zealand.
•For the whole of the period of 21 months preceding your arrival, you have lived outside New Zealand (brief holiday or exploratory visits do not exclude a person from qualifying for this concession).
You have owned and used the goods before the date of your arrival in New Zealand.
The goods are for your own personal use and are not intended for any other person or persons, or for gift, sale, or exchange.
Exceptions
The following goods will not qualify for duty-free entry, unless you can establish that they were for your own personal use prior to their arrival in New Zealand:

•Any goods shipped directly after purchase to avoid local taxes in the country of export.
•Replacement electrical equipment operating to New Zealand standards.
•Goods of a commercial nature (such as factory plant and office equipment).
In these cases you may need to pay Customs duty and any other applicable charges.

Rate: N/A

·
Registered
889 Posts
When we first arrived in 2001 "reasonable time was 5 years'' which was very generous compared to other countries but I am not sure what rules apply now, but we constantly shipped our belongings back over the full 5 year period. In each case customs referred to the date we first entered NZ.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts