Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So moving to Melbourne in 8 weeks and wondered what it is that you miss/ask people to bring or send to you when they visit. I.e tea, beer etc.

Any advice??!!

I know there's a sticky about what to do regarding stuff like banks etc but I'm looking for more leftfield stuff!!

Thx!

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
Not from UK, but from India. When we moved here, we left a lot of stuff back home, when you go out to buy everything, in a new country, where you dont even know the brands, everything is new, its like starting a new life, i did miss getting things that I did not get from there. I know it can be expensive to get stuff from UK, for me, getting things from India was not as expensive. Things like my food processor, clothes hangers, my jewelery, clothes and so many other things.. we do eventually start buying stuff here but all your life you have been used to the brands in your country, starting afresh, getting to know new brands takes times and that is when you miss carrying your stuff with you for those initial few months.. but then one always learns after making mistakes :)

G

·
No alcohol, huge amounts of tax to pay on it. For example if you have a favourite shampoo bring a few bottles to see you until you find some but you will find most things you will want. The things you would want you wouldnt be able to bring ie there are no decent sausages & pizza you cant bring alcohol lol.
You're moving to another first world country, you'll find everything you want, some new things if a little different.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I bought over with me HP fruity sauce, bisto gravy powder and prawn cocktail crisps!

As shel said, you get the same things over here but it's slightly different (pizza, coleslaw, deli meat (very processed), gravy).

Just bring over some of your old favourites.

Dolly

G

·
That is rubbish Davey.

There are some items you can not bring. Meat, unprocessed egg, seeds and fruit. But you may bring other food for personal use but must declare them. They must be shop bought, still sealed and have ingrediants in english.

You pass through the items to declare channel in the airport. Show them what you have and so long as its not prhobited and they can see it is not banned ie english ingredients, they'll wave you through.

It is illegal to not declare it and it will land you a big fine or court if not declared.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope you get caught and court.

I would not attempt anything at all because the customs here seem to make up the rules as go along. Read the fine print and keep your eyes open.
I sincerely hope that some day you will find I don't talk rubbish.

There are some items you can not bring. Meat, unprocessed egg, seeds and fruit. But you may bring other food for personal use but must declare them. They must be shop bought, still sealed and have ingrediants in english.

You pass through the items to declare channel in the airport. Show them what you have and so long as its not prhobited and they can see it is not banned ie english ingredients, they'll wave you through.

It is illegal to not declare it and it will land you a big fine or court if not declared.[/QUOTE]

G

·
I've passed through customs on many occassions with different food stuffs. Declared them, they took a peak and waved me through. They only time they were bothered was with the open baby milk because I could have put anything in it. I threw it in the bin they have when they asked me to and again they waved me through.

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
I know people who come with all sorts of stuff from back home, as long as you declare, they dont bother. when I came, i had a 8 month old and i got baby food with me, i told them i had milk and they did not say a thing

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always bring:
Marks and Spencer wasabi peas
Lime pickle
Whole earth peanut butter
HP BBQ sauce
McCoys crisps
Twinings earl grey because even though they have it, it tastes different in oz
Some herbal teas although a chain store called T2 does great loose teas but it's quite expensive compared to our bags

Just bring what you like in the UK, there are a few British shops about where you can get some things to remind you of home x

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.