Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So since I've been a low paid young worker all these years, working under contract for just the one company, I haven't needed to do a borrador before. However, I could really do with a rebate - fingers crossed! So this year I'm biting the bullet.

I know I'm probably in a really different situation from most people here being a worker and renting, but perhaps some of you can help me out with your experience.

I've booked my appointment with the person at the Agencia Tributaria and I know I have to bring my identification - residence certificate + passport, my certificado de retenciones from my employer and my bank account number. Also I have all the information about my rented flat from the land registry.

I've heard that I should bring information about my landlord and what I pay them - would my old contract with their details and the rent amount be enough? Or should I get something else, and what would that be?

Do I need to bring anything about other outgoings like electricity bills?

What about my bank account - do I need a special tax certificate from the bank? (I'm sure they used to send me something, but now they've gone paperless). Or do I just need to print statements?

I don't have a lot of money in the UK but I have a tiny bit of savings. I've heard you only need to declare your assets abroad if they're over 50,000€, and I have nothing like that. Is that right? Or do I need info from the UK?

Anything else?

Any information much appreciated.:)

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I'm employed, self-employed & pay rent for my apartment, too.

My gestor does my tax return. I take my invoices & bills ( stationery mostly & home internet & mobile) quarterly & pay IRPF & because I'm also employed, at the end of the tax year I get a cert from the employer with the retenciones for the year.

There used to be tax relief if you rent, but that stopped in 2015 iirc - for my tax return this time last year there was no tax relief. I'd say it would be worth taking the rental contract anyway.... that's what I used to supply (much to the anger of one landlord who it transpired wasn't declaring the income :eek: )

I could only claim electricity etc if I was actually working from home - but I'd need a licence & special insurance for that (it would mean people coming to my apartment) - so I I don't, & therefore I can't claim it.

The declaration (called a 720) for assets over 50,000€ outside Spain is a seperate thing entirely.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, that's awesome. I don't work from home and I'm not self employed at all, I work for a company, so it sounds like this should be quite straightforward.

So I don't need to mention UK savings (they're pitiful anyway, nothing like 50k) as that's a whole other thing. Do I need anything from my Spanish bank account except the number?

Thanks so much.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
Ok, that's awesome. I don't work from home and I'm not self employed at all, I work for a company, so it sounds like this should be quite straightforward.

So I don't need to mention UK savings (they're pitiful anyway, nothing like 50k) as that's a whole other thing. Do I need anything from my Spanish bank account except the number?

Thanks so much.
You don't need to mention the savings unless you actually get an income from them. You basically just have to declare all income!

I can't think of anything else you need to take - I think your back account number would be enough, but it never hurts to take everything you can think of!

I know both Lynn & Pesky Wesky deal directly with hacienda for their tax returns, so hopefully they'll have some tips.

I'd do mine myself too, but it would mean going to the next town - I don't drive & the bus service is pitiful - so I'd need at least half a day off. I prefer to pay my gestor! It would cost me more in lost earnings than I pay him.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks so much for that. My boss was pretty vague about it all as he's in a different financial position and I don't want to talk about money stuff with friends, so I really appreciate the help.

Oh yes, one more thing, family have lent me money (there were some cash flow issues at work for a few months this year *sigh*). is that something I should mention? I know it's ok to have money from family, but do I need to mention it? I don't want anyone questioning where that money came from at some point! Or thinking it came from working on the black when it was a legitimate family loan just to cover rent etc until I got paid. And if so, do I need to prove where it came from?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, having looked into it, it now looks like the unofficial family loan is going to be a sticking point as apparently I should have declared it the month I recieved it, not now. Argh. I don't want to get into a mess.

So I guess I'm going to have to get a gestor for this after all. Thanks for the help anyway.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
We always use the services of a gestor. We give him all the details and he deals with it. SWMBO even gets a rebate of her IRPF at the academy and, because she also teaches their kids at the academy we don't even get charged by the gestor. However we are in a village and as far as the villagers are concerned we belong here and to them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm employed, self-employed & pay rent for my apartment, too.

My gestor does my tax return. I take my invoices & bills ( stationery mostly & home internet & mobile) quarterly & pay IRPF & because I'm also employed, at the end of the tax year I get a cert from the employer with the retenciones for the year.

There used to be tax relief if you rent, but that stopped in 2015 iirc - for my tax return this time last year there was no tax relief. I'd say it would be worth taking the rental contract anyway.... that's what I used to supply (much to the anger of one landlord who it transpired wasn't declaring the income :eek: )

I could only claim electricity etc if I was actually working from home - but I'd need a licence & special insurance for that (it would mean people coming to my apartment) - so I I don't, & therefore I can't claim it.

The declaration (called a 720) for assets over 50,000€ outside Spain is a seperate thing entirely.
How much does a gestor charge you? Is it once per year that you need his help?

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
Most Gestors I've come across charge on a variable rate depending on how simple or complicated your tax return ( or Renta )
is going to be.

That is if you have other sources of regular income, in addition to your salary. Invest in Stocks and Shares, need to declare rental
income from your house in the UK etc, etc.
You can expect the Gestor to charge more than on simple tax returns, like your annual salary from January to December 2016
with nothing else to be taken into consideration.

For those of you who are deemed to owe the Agencia Tributaria an additional amount of tax for Renta 2016. You can split the
payment ( what you pay the Hacienda ) into 2 payments. The first being collected from your bank account on the 30th June
2017 and the second and final part on or about the 7th November 2017.

There's no additional charge or interest to be paid, if you choose to pay your tax in 2 parts.

Of course there's nothing to stop you doing, what many Gringos do and mosey on down to the Hacienda and get the
Agencia Tributaria, to work it out for you. Although chances are few of them speak English for those difficult
questions that can occur on the tax form.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
I pay a small monthly fee (which is tax deductible!). They do my quarterly tax returns plus the annual one, & anything else I might need help with or advice about.

·
Administrator
36,510 Posts
We always use the services of a gestor. We give him all the details and he deals with it. SWMBO even gets a rebate of her IRPF at the academy and, because she also teaches their kids at the academy we don't even get charged by the gestor. However we are in a village and as far as the villagers are concerned we belong here and to them.
Mine charges so little that I'm happy to pay :) (I earn more an hour than I'm charged per month!)

I'm especially happy when I wake up to a whatsapp & email telling me how much my rebate is this year :D

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Mine charges so little that I'm happy to pay :) (I earn more an hour than I'm charged per month!)

I'm especially happy when I wake up to a whatsapp & email telling me how much my rebate is this year :D
Ours charges 40€ for a joint return and this year we got a whopping 14€ back. Our rebate is normally more than that but this year we also had to declare that our eldest had earned some money whilst on work experience from University.

·
Registered
17,566 Posts
It's a sure thing that the amount charged by a gestor to deal with the tax affairs is a d*mned sight less that we would have to pay in the UK and very good value for money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts