Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy

I'm wondering what kinds of American snack foods Americans living abroad miss. When my wife and I travel, we never see Snickers or Mars Bars, Cheetos, and other items like that. Can you buy them somewhere that I haven't found? If not, and you want them, how do you get them?

Thanks

Richard

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Hope you don't mind my moving this over to the General Expat discussion area. It doesn't seem like you're limiting your question to Italy (which is where it was posted) and we may draw a few more responses over here.

There are some mail order expat services you can find online that will send you US goodies (at fairly outrageous prices, IMO), and depending on where you settle, there are sometimes some US food shops. In Paris there are a couple well known shops of this sort, including Thanksgiving and the Real McCoy.

Some US expat groups assemble group orders, and there's always the alternative of asking your visiting friends to supply you when they come over to visit. I used to stock up when I was over in the States, and still do to some extent, but it's not snack foods I bring back these days.

What you will find, though, is that your tastes change. Get enough good European chocolate and you'll wonder what you ever saw in Snickers bars in the first place. (My current passion is Lindt Irish Coffee bars.) And as far as Cheetos and other munchies like that go, there are usually local versions in the supermarkets. They stock taco chips and salsa in the "exotic foods" section of most French grocery stores, and Pringles have made an appearance in recent years, along with the generic store brands. Skippy peanut butter has made its appearance, though you'll pay as much for the little jar as for a jar twice as large in the US. There are local peanut butters, but frankly they're not that good. (By and large, the French really don't like peanut butter.)
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
5 Posts
I miss cheetos too!!!

Howdy

I'm wondering what kinds of American snack foods Americans living abroad miss. When my wife and I travel, we never see Snickers or Mars Bars, Cheetos, and other items like that. Can you buy them somewhere that I haven't found? If not, and you want them, how do you get them?

Thanks

Richard

1 - 5 of 5 Posts