Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is an experienced British secondary school teacher with a good CV, looking for a job in Dubai. What kind of salary and benefits should she expect in Dubai? Would it be better than in the UK? Any advice from teachers currently in Dubai would be great.

Also, are there any schools to avoid, are there any pitfalls with teaching contracts and do you have any other tips?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My wife teaches English at Dubai Men's College. However, she interviewed at several private primary level schools. The pay and benefits was not enough to live on, but okay if it's secondary income. Can't remember the details but I remember thinking it wasn't enough to live on. Sorry I can't be more specific.

·
Registered
134 Posts
various places, with various pay, where r u located? does she drive? it may vary from 5 to 15 k a month, or maybe more, depend where, which school. good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it may vary from 5 to 15 k a month, or maybe more, depend where, which school.
Thanks for your replies. Her salary at a good school in the UK is equivalent to 16,000 AED a month (13,000 AED after tax), so what you say, it would seem that teachers pay is pretty low in Dubai.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Pay ranges from the ridiculously low to well over 20,000/month for a seasoned qualified teacher. Those with positions of responsibility can bring in even more at the best schools. Dubai College, Dubai English Speaking School, and Jumeirah College have long-standing reputations. Rashid and Latifah are up there, as well. There are actually a slew of mid-range schools where she might expect to bring in 10,000-15,000 dirhams/month. If she visits the GEMS website, she'll see a number of schools under their umbrella where she can send her CV. I hope that's helpful.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Also, are there any schools to avoid, are there any pitfalls with teaching contracts and do you have any other tips?
Their salary offer usually gives them away, but save yourself the time and energy and avoid SABIS/Choueifat like the plague. I speak from experience.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A UK take home of 13,000dhs after tax means your wife must currently be either middle/senior management or working in a well-paid private school! As a UK-trained teacher, as a very general rule, she should be looking at roughly matching her UK take home pay. Benefits would include a month's salary gratuity at the end of the contract and a flight back to the UK once a year (these are legal requirements) and of course, the salary is tax free. The school should also provide free accommodation, or money to pay for accommodation. So despite receiving the same amount of cash each month as she would in the UK, she saves the cost of accommodation. Anything less than that probably isn't worth it.
In terms of school places for offspring, I don't really know as I have none.
As well as looking at the GEMS website, get a copy of the Dubai Explorer guide to living and working in Dubai - there is a list of Dubai schools. Try their websites or contacting them directly - that's how my wife and I found our jobs!

·
Registered
272 Posts
A UK take home of 13,000dhs after tax means your wife must currently be either middle/senior management or working in a well-paid private school! As a UK-trained teacher, as a very general rule, she should be looking at roughly matching her UK take home pay. Benefits would include a month's salary gratuity at the end of the contract and a flight back to the UK once a year (these are legal requirements) and of course, the salary is tax free. The school should also provide free accommodation, or money to pay for accommodation. So despite receiving the same amount of cash each month as she would in the UK, she saves the cost of accommodation. Anything less than that probably isn't worth it.
In terms of school places for offspring, I don't really know as I have none.
As well as looking at the GEMS website, get a copy of the Dubai Explorer guide to living and working in Dubai - there is a list of Dubai schools. Try their websites or contacting them directly - that's how my wife and I found our jobs!
This package, of course, is an expat package. Some schools will hire local hires (women on their husband's sponsorship), as it costs them MUCH less money. Part of what makes one an attractive hire can be that s/he won't require housing, airfare, accommodation, etc. If your wife waits to apply once she's here, there's a very good chance that she'll be offered the local contract. If she applies before, stating that her spouse doesn't yet have employment, then she'll be more likely to get the expat offer. By making oneself a local hire, it can make it easier to find work.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I know of a number of teachers at major schools (The English College, Jumeirah College etc) and they tend to earn between AED 12 -18k per month plus accommodation.

-

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first post here - I'm thinking of a move to Dubai too. Do teachers in Dubai get any sort of pension arrangement? I only ask because I calculate it would cost me over £10k to match the contributions I get in the UK, and I wonder how some people could afford to live in Dubai with its higher cost of living... or are people just putting off the whole pensions thing and living for the moment..!

·
Registered
364 Posts
This package, of course, is an expat package. Some schools will hire local hires (women on their husband's sponsorship), as it costs them MUCH less money. Part of what makes one an attractive hire can be that s/he won't require housing, airfare, accommodation, etc. If your wife waits to apply once she's here, there's a very good chance that she'll be offered the local contract. If she applies before, stating that her spouse doesn't yet have employment, then she'll be more likely to get the expat offer. By making oneself a local hire, it can make it easier to find work.
Really, really good point - get the job before you move if you can, the package is much better!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Hi, first post here - I'm thinking of a move to Dubai too. Do teachers in Dubai get any sort of pension arrangement? I only ask because I calculate it would cost me over £10k to match the contributions I get in the UK, and I wonder how some people could afford to live in Dubai with its higher cost of living... or are people just putting off the whole pensions thing and living for the moment..!

No income tax = no pension schemes for expats. Ideally, monies saved in tax are set aside for the future. After a year of service you are entitled to end of service gratuity when you leave employment but that in no way compares to the Teachers Superannuation Scheme.

-

·
Registered
17 Posts
Make sure she doesn't accept the first job offered. She needs to go on a few interviews. Salary is important as well as happiness. Good luck.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Sadly here the teachers do not get paid well.. average 3000 - 4000 pm

My wife is an experienced British secondary school teacher with a good CV, looking for a job in Dubai. What kind of salary and benefits should she expect in Dubai? Would it be better than in the UK? Any advice from teachers currently in Dubai would be great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Teachers are underpaid in the US as well. Sad and true. God willing this will change. Many people refuse to study to become teachers for that reason alone.
Hear hear.. the same thing here in Oz, the conditions and pay are atrocious. From what i see, in Dubai teachers are paid far better than in Australia.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sadly, it really depends on where you were trained - I don't know any UK trained teachers on less than 8500aed per month.
Yes I am UK trained and earn a little over that... Basically I earn less than I did in the UK but with the lack of tax (and pension and student loan repayments) and free rent I can save a little more. I don't intend being here more than a couple of years so am just saving into an account, if I were here longer I would probably start a private pension.

Having said that, steer well clear of the School of Research Science... There's not much I can do now I'm here but save yourself!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.