Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The idiot behind me cannot wait 1/100th of a second longer , he is already honking his protest, inches behind my rear bumper .... what's everyone's rush, out here ? brain surgery ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm told it's illegal to make the kind of hand gestures to other drivers that many of us do back home that would tell people who do this what you think of it. I know it's generally a bad idea to get drivers who are already irate more angry by reacting to them, but if I slip up and revert to my normal "horn broken, watch for finger" ways, can one actually be fined for this sort of thing?

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
Better to take it in your stride and not let it affect you!

Apparently, there is an alternative for the finger salute! Hazards light, as I've been told, has the same meaning as a finger salute! Think the person who told me this might be right cause I've used it a few times and it seems to get people away from my bumper!

I find it funny sometimes the people who tailgate! I was tailgated by a Daewoo that I could only describe as a matchbox! My bumper was level with the fool's face but he still didn't get what would happen to him if I had to slam on my brakes for whatever reason. Then he decided to illuminate my rear bumper with his headlights (I only saw the light in my side mirror when he moved on the hard shoulder!!!)! At that point I was really yawning!!! Ignore people like that! they ain't worth the hassle!

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I was looking for my rear fog light on my hire car earlier but I don't seem to have one. They're usually good fun for scaring tailgaters.

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I'm told it's illegal to make the kind of hand gestures to other drivers that many of us do back home that would tell people who do this what you think of it. I know it's generally a bad idea to get drivers who are already irate more angry by reacting to them, but if I slip up and revert to my normal "horn broken, watch for finger" ways, can one actually be fined for this sort of thing?
Yes, you can be fined, arrested or even imprisoned. A couple of years back there was a case of an American pastor who was imprisoned for making a rude gesture.

-

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
The most effective way that I have found to deal with tailgaters is to wash your windscreen, the overspray goes over their car and they back off instantly. But be warned that at least 50% of the time the other driver will then try all means to get infront of you, brake test you and then try to return the favour so only do it if someone has really hacked you off and be prepared for the resultant cray driving!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm one of those people who beep as soon as the lights go green.

I'm not beeping you. It's for everyone in front. All lanes. The odds are, someone in front is busily picking his nose and doesn't notice the lights. And we all get held up. And people start switching lanes. And nobody lets anyone in. etc etc.

So it's just a friendly reminder.

·
Banned
6,690 Posts
When someone honks me at traffic lights i move forward very, and I mean VERY slowly.....

That really pisses them off!

As to hand signals, people here do recognise the finger - but not the V for Victory....

If you know what i mean.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kissing !!!! - Guys kissing each other on the lips in public or walking around hand in hand - all signs of friendship, but ....

·
Banned
598 Posts
Space invaders. Do they really need to stand that close to me that I feel them breathing down my neck?

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I get really wound up by sales staff in shops that follow me around. I tend to inform them that I am not intending to steal anything and that I'll let them know when I want help.

-

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
I get really wound up by sales staff in shops that follow me around. I tend to inform them that I am not intending to steal anything and that I'll let them know when I want help.

-
Too true! Whenever you need someone to assist you, they are nowhere to be found! The day I just want to browse, they all seem to hang around me like a bad smell!! Result is that I just walk out; it can be pretty annoying to be asked by 2-3 sales assistant whether they can help me and they can't seem to take a hint either! Even if you politely decline any assistance, they come back with some random item which they reckon you want!!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Too true! Whenever you need someone to assist you, they are nowhere to be found! The day I just want to browse, they all seem to hang around me like a bad smell!! Result is that I just walk out; it can be pretty annoying to be asked by 2-3 sales assistant whether they can help me and they can't seem to take a hint either! Even if you politely decline any assistance, they come back with some random item which they reckon you want!!
And the ones in clothes shops that walk two feet behind you straightening anything you have looked at?! Such an urge to unfold everything to give them something to do! :evil:

-

·
Registered
8,891 Posts
The people who just sit or sqwat everywhere and anywhere, in the middle of the desert, no houses around.Where do these people come from ?? How did they get to the middle of nowhere to just take a seat??? I particularly do not enjoy going running around my apartment and then are just everywhere. Its SO creepy!

The flashing of the lights when they are 500 meters back is up their on my list as well....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.