Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone:) Me and my partner are coming over to the limousine in two weeks time and need to know what questions we need to ask when viewing property? We understand if you don't ask they wont tell you? thank you in advance I do hope someone can help :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
I think it's much the same as buying in England---- boundary disputes, rights of way etc. You should ask about the tax foncière (land tax). You can also ask for receipts for work done.

If you have irrigation canals in the area (we do here in the south) then that's a whole subject on its own.

I'm interested to see what others say.

DejW

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
I suggest you buy a book in the uk about buying a house in france you can find loads on Amazon,but personally I would be loking at initially obvious things as DejW has said but in particular rights of way either across your property or getting to your property-always a source of problems and if the house has been renovated recently ask who did it(do not touch a DIYed house personally) and what insurances are in place for the work.Also fosse septique-has it passed its inspection;and also what about shops things to do etc.we looked at houses in the Limousin but while we saw lovely properties at dirt cheap prices there is a reason for this and do you want to drive 30 mins for a litre of milk.Lastly take your time- there are loads of houses out there at good prices and remember that tumble down place will cost you far more than you thought and you will never recoup your outlay

·
Registered
737 Posts
internet speed ...no or slow ADSL is starting to affect value of property and unfortunately outside the toens it can be pretty poor

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
Hello everyone:) Me and my partner are coming over to the limousine in two weeks time.........
Second-hand luxury cars are always a problem, even with good tyres. :p

Hi Sharon & :welcome: to the Forum.

I believe the Limousin can get very cold, and be very isolated in winter.

Is it a holiday home or a permanent move?

Use the local estate agents and, as said, there are few bargains so that 'very cheap' place you find is cheap for a reason - ie the locals won't buy it.

Still, you'll get a good exchange rate, so now's the time to buy.

Check the price is FAI (agent's fee included). (They often show the cheaper price without fees).

Remember, estate agents are the same the world over. :( Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi thank you for your replies we are intending to move to france permantly we are aware of the harsh winters we are going into this with our eyes wide open thanks again for your help :)

·
Registered
4,902 Posts
Anyway...good luck with the property search and purchase. Feel free to post questions here as they arise.

DejW

hi thank you for your replies we are intending to move to france permantly we are aware of the harsh winters we are going into this with our eyes wide open thanks again for your help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts